Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Californian Elitist

The foreign parks have gotten some cool original attractions like Mystic Manor and Journey to the Center of the Earth that haven't made it to the American parks. All we got was that awful car stunt show from Paris at MGM Studios.

Exactly. I find it ironic the foreign parks have been coming up with original attractions for the parks, recent ones at that, but the original Disney park that opened with lots of original attractions, and continued to see them, hasn't seen one in years, quite possibly decades.

Donaldfan1934

I feel like they've been making decisions like this for a while, decisions relating to IPs in the park and everything being based on a movie. I can't think of the last original attraction, whether it was a ride or a show, that went into the park. I remember seeing the Golden Horseshoe Revue tribute. It was so nice and refreshing to not only see a tribute to the historical show, but also to see something in the park that was not based on a Disney movie.

That's another thing Disney's been doing for years now... "Cartoonifying" the lands.
To an extent I agree with you. Obviously I want to see more original attraction ideas for the park. Sadly, I think that the last two original attractions not counting DCA were innoventions and, gulp, Rocket Rods. On the other hand, I think that most of the IP insertions to date have been done right being put in the right lands and in non-interfering ways. Again, I said most not all, but even the questionable ones are nowhere near on the level of Star Wars Land. To me, the creative direction of Star Wars land looks like a new standard for the park going forward the real point of no return. In the end, I just wish that Disney would make the right decision and make a land like the other lands at DL not based on one IP alone and not needing every attraction to be based on one.

Donaldfan1934

Exactly. I find it ironic the foreign parks have been coming up with original attractions for the parks, recent ones at that, but the original Disney park that opened with lots of original attractions, and continued to see them, hasn't seen one in years, quite possibly decades.
I don't think that DL has seen a lot of new attractions in general in the past 10 years, mostly because of the DCA emergency. If Disney just sold the U.S. parks to a company who would make the right decisions like OLC, then a lot of things would be better.

Californian Elitist

To an extent I agree with you. Obviously I want to see more original attraction ideas for the park. Sadly, I think that the last two original attractions not counting DCA were innoventions and, gulp, Rocket Rods. On the other hand, I think that most of the IP insertions to date have been done right being put in the right lands and in non-interfering ways. Again, I said most not all, but even the questionable ones are nowhere near on the level of Star Wars Land. To me, the creative direction of Star Wars land looks like a new standard for the park going forward the real point of no return. In the end, I just wish that Disney would make the right decision and make a land like the other lands at DL not based on one IP alone and not needing every attraction to be based on one.

Yeah, they've been subtle for the most part, and it could be worse, but I feel like it will get worse. Remember the cowboys and the mayor that used to entertain guests in Frontierland? Are they even still there? I feel like we'd see a show based on Woody and Jessie in Frontierland before we see anything like that again.

Donaldfan1934

Yeah, they've been subtle for the most part, and it could be worse, but I feel like it will get worse. Remember the cowboys and the mayor that used to entertain guests in Frontierland? Are they even still there? I feel like we'd see a show based on Woody and Jessie in Frontierland before we see anything like that again.
Don't worry. Disney was 16 years ahead of you an that one. http://www.yesterland.com/roundup.html

yookeroo

To be fair, the only thing that I chan my opinion on was why they may hide the land. And yes, there are number of large structures in the park, especially the mountains. I won't argue with you that the land wasn't supposed to be big and ambitious because it was, as have most major addition have been. But it's a fact that it was more in line with the other lands than Star Wars land is looking out to be. My opinion ultimately boils down to Star Wars doesn't have the right tone and feel for a Magic Kingdom of any size and shouldn't be inserted. I only brought up size because that's been a concern for every planned land in the past, even Discovery Bay. This looks like it may take up all the expansion pads on that side of the park which Discovery Bay was never planned to.

It's not so much you're changing your opinion and more that you're moving the goalposts. They're hiding SWL because they're ashamed of it! No? SWL is bad because it's not cozy! But this other planned land would've been OK even though it's size and scope may have been just as big, so now it's not about the size, it's about the "expansion pads".

You don't want SWL. You don't really need to justify it.

The only real objective justification is that this is the first DL land based solely on one IP. I, personally, don't think that's an issue since we have a land that has a much narrower scope than SWL, NOS. (Shoot, most lands have a narrower scope than SWL.) But, OK, it is true that that this is a first. We can agree to disagree.

Now, when you start with the sky is falling stuff, I may chuckle at the hysterics.

I agree with almost every thing you say on this thread. so much truth, but so much scary truth.

Indeed. The insertion of Star Wars land paints a very dark future for Walt's park going forward.

No, a scary, dark future is president Trump or Cruz. A theme park that goes in a direction you don't approve of is a minor blip. At least if you have a sense of perspective.

Donaldfan1934

This is exactly what I'm talking about, cartoonifying lands that weren't necessarily designed to have cartoons.

I wish they'd invite Billy Hill and the Hillbillies to come back.
Personally, I WOULD'VE been fine with a Woody's Round up sonething or other as long as there's a good balance between IP and non-IP attractions like a potential Western River Expidition type attraction. I know it's not a cartoon, but the Davy Crockett IP was pretty much front and center in Frontierland's early days. The reason I capitalized the word "would've" is because while I think a non-IP centric Frontierland expansion would've been a perfect alternative to Discovery Bay if Star Wars land was never a thing. In fact, I remember reading rumors about it a few years ago before Iger INSISTED that the Star Wars presence needed to be expanded on BOTH coasts. Its tragic really.

Donaldfan1934

It's not so much you're changing your opinion and more that you're moving the goalposts. They're hiding SWL because they're ashamed of it! No? SWL is bad because it's not cozy! But this other planned land would've been OK even though it's size and scope may have been just as big, so now it's not about the size, it's about the "expansion pads".

You don't want SWL. You don't really need to justify it.

The only real objective justification is that this is the first DL land based solely on one IP. I, personally, don't think that's an issue since we have a land that has a much narrower scope than SWL, NOS. (Shoot, most lands have a narrower scope than SWL.) But, OK, it is true that that this is a first. We can agree to disagree.

Now, when you start with the sky is falling stuff, I may chuckle at the hysterics.

No, a scary, dark future is president Trump or Cruz. A theme park that goes in a direction you don't approve of is a minor blip. At least if you have a sense of perspective.
It's true that I did change focus, I just think that the land doesn't work in Disneyland on many levels so I try to acknowledge all of them according to changes in the thread's topic. Also, please don't throw your personal politics into this. I was speaking on a strictly Disneyland level, not like it was a global political issue. Whether your hate be directed at Trump and Cruz or Clinton and Sanders, that is also, like my opinion on Star Wars land at Disneyland, very subjective. I personally don't care for most of the candidates left or right, but I'm not going to enforce my opinion on you that particular candidates would ruin the country. Especially in a place like this forum where that kind of conversation has nothing to with anything that we're talking about.

BrianLo

To anyone who thinks that WDI will be able to completely hide the land, just look at these photos.

That specific viewpoint is slated to have large Big Thunder Mountain-esque rock work arches, guest pathways and the train on the trestle. It will in theory actually look and match BTM better than it did before. There is a good chance you won't be able to see anything Star Wars from that point on the ride.

Same here. And by the way, if WDI IS going to go out of their way to hide anything, it's going to be to hide the rest of Disneyland from SWL as to make it as immersive as possible -- not the other way around.

This made me chortle. Imagineers are simply embarrassed by Disneyland, so they have to hide it from ruining Star Wars... Because *Reasons*. Disneyland just doesn't have the type of happiness that Star Wars does. Walt would be ashamed to have Star Wars encroached by that awful Disneyland, he would have torn it to the ground by now if he were still alive! People just don't feel the same sort of desire and nostalgia to go to the parks like they do when the John Williams Score starts up. :p

On a semi-related note, I just got back from USH to check out Harry Potter. Had never been able to check out either of the lands in Orlando so this was my first time. Wow! All around, amazing amazing job. Had so much fun walking around and exploring it all. And butterbeer is as good as everyone says it is.

I would say that Cars Land has it beat as far as making you feel like you are somewhere else entirely, but USH wins hands down as far as really immersing you in the world they've created -- every character, every experience, piece of food, merch, etc. is pretty exclusive to Harry Potter and the main attraction from the queue to the ride itself is just incredible. I could have easily done without the 3D though. It really did not add much and the glasses only made everything harder to see during the practical effects scenes and kept reminding you it was a ride.

My only major gripe is the sightlines (why this is relevant to the discussion here). Seeing office buildings, show buildings, and other parts of USH while walking through Hogsmeade is definitely an immersion killer. Hopefully those trees get tall enough to cover it all up soon enough!

I've only been to the Orlando version (and seen the USJ near completion). It really is an amazing offering. Both Carsland and Hogsmead both have their strengths, although Diagon (the actual land more than Gringotts) is just next level immersion and doesn't have the sightline issues. I think that is what's really behind the decision to totally prevent any sightline issues from in the new Star Wars Land.

I'm a big Harry Potter fan, read the books multiple times, and the movies of course, but for some reason, I don't have a lot of desire to go to see the new land. I think it's because I've been to USH, and I remember what the rest of the park is like.

You really should at least check it out if you are local (hopefully once the crowds die down a bit), or just go to Orlando for the full experience.

We just have to accept that a ginormous section of Disneyland will forever be Star Wars: The Experience and there won't be much else they can do with the west side of the park unless they destroy classic attractions. Start worrying.

Honest question: do they really need to do anything else with the West Side? Apart from refurbs and plussing attractions with newer AA's or effects that is. It's jam packed with some of Disney's best. There is so much that needs/can be done with the East side and if they ever really truly get around to fixing it all I'm sure new issues will crop up.

At a certain point if they've gotten through the major laundry list items on the East side... make third park.

dweezil78

This made me chortle. Imagineers are simply embarrassed by Disneyland, so they have to hide it from ruining Star Wars... Because *Reasons*. Disneyland just doesn't have the type of happiness that Star Wars does. Walt would be ashamed to have Star Wars encroached by that awful Disneyland, he would have torn it to the ground by now if he were still alive! People just don't feel the same sort of desire and nostalgia to go to the parks like they do when the John Williams Score starts up. :p

I've only been to the Orlando version (and seen the USJ near completion). It really is an amazing offering. Both Carsland and Hogsmead both have their strengths, although Diagon (the actual land more than Gringotts) is just next level immersion and doesn't have the sightline issues. I think that is what's really behind the decision to totally prevent any sightline issues from in the new Star Wars Land.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic (obviously you are, but not sure if it's towards me or not) or if you think I was actually trying to imply that Imagineers are embarrassed by Disneyland. I'm simply saying they are trying to hide the rest of the park for the same reason you are saying Diagon Alley works b/c there are no sightline issues.

BrianLo

Not sure if you are being sarcastic (obviously you are, but not sure if it's towards me or not) or if you think I was actually trying to imply that Imagineers are embarrassed by Disneyland. I'm simply saying they are trying to hide the rest of the park for the same reason you are saying Diagon Alley works b/c there are no sightline issues.

Ack, no, sorry! Total sarcasm and the very opposite of being directed towards you, having a go at some posts probably 50 pages ago.

I was just piling on to your statement that perspective makes some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories people have concocted fall apart if we take the viewpoint that Imagineers are actually trying to hide Disneyland from Star Wars Land as opposed to Star Wars Land from Disneyland.

A little satire if you will, I agree with your thoughts.

dweezil78

Ack, no, sorry! Total sarcasm and the very opposite of being directed towards you.

I was just piling on to your statement that perspective makes some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories people have concocted fall apart if we take the viewpoint that Imagineers are actually trying to hide Disneyland from Star Wars Land as opposed to Star Wars Land from Disneyland.

A little satire if you will, I agree with your thoughts.

Ah ok, glad I asked! :)

dweezil78

We just have to accept that a ginormous section of Disneyland will forever be Star Wars: The Experience and there won't be much else they can do with the west side of the park unless they destroy classic attractions. Start worrying.

We're pretty fortunate they were able to get anything in that part of the park. As you know, they literally had to buy up land across the street and surrounding areas to relocate (and first demolish) backstage operations so they could fit this in. It was going to take something with a name and massive audience like Star Wars for such a disruption to occur in the first place.

Besides, the west side of the park is going to be far off Disney's radars for the foreseeable future. By the time they get done fixing up the east side, most of us will probably have grandchildren and be lucky if we can even go the park anymore.

BrianLo

In response to whether we need things on the west side of Disneyland, I don't think so, but Disney constantly disagrees. They change POTC, HM, NOS, ROA etc. when they're perfect to begin with.

The one 'pro', if you can call it that, is if ROA is not brutalized (as we are now hopeful) it will really cement it as "safe" for many more decades to come. I understand the fear is it will already be done-in, but we really now just have to wait and see.

I'd be more worried if Disney was eager to spend continued money and absolutely had no where else to do it. However, even the more staunch among us probably don't care if Innoventions and Wonder-Bra are replaced.

The West-side should now be quite preserved from too much more meddling.

If Star Wars IS going to gobble up anything more it will be Toontown and continued back stage. But, far more likely Frozen gets to it first. Even more likely then that they don't do any of the above and the park goes another decade between significant investment.

Travel Junkie

The foreign parks have gotten some cool original attractions like Mystic Manor and Journey to the Center of the Earth that haven't made it to the American parks. All we got was that awful car stunt show from Paris at MGM Studios.

The foreign parks are doing things that are much more appealing to me right now than stateside.

dweezil78

Ha! I totally meant to say this same exact thing in response to those same ridiculous quotes earlier. I'm pretty envious that someone could be able to get so worked up and revolted over changes to Disneyland of all places. Even with most of my free time (and income, ha!) going towards the company and park, it's still ultimately something that falls into the 'Entertainment' bucket in my life and unfortunately for me, that bucket is pretty low down on the list of things to freak out about.

Californian Elitist

I find it ironic and even funny that the same people who think others are odd for getting worked up over Disneyland are the exact same folks who created an account on a fan forum to discuss topics regarding Disneyland. Like really?

Curious Constance

I find it ironic and even funny that the same people who think others are odd for getting worked up over Disneyland are the exact same folks who created an account on a fan forum to discuss topics regarding Disneyland. Like really?
Do you think it's impossible to really enjoy something, but at the same time keep things in perspective and realize there is a line between enjoyment and obsession?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom