Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Californian Elitist

I know that they remodeled some of the facades around the time that it opened, but how do things like the Enchanted Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise revolve aroun an Indy theme?

I'm not referring to the other attractions, I'm referring to the description of the land. Once Indy came along, Disney "re-themed" Adventureland to a 1930's jungle theme. It's not a jarring change, but it's still a change, regardless.

HauntedMansionFLA

Did they start to drain Rivers of America yet? That's a big task re working all of that river and build where the train will go through a that area. The artist pictures look wonderful.

Donaldfan1934

They've already made some progress backstage. Rides on Big Thunder may become the 2nd most popular construction picture point after the top of the parking structure.

CcF87EmWoAE2BMb.jpg

2 weeks ago

CcF87EeWwAA7du9.jpg

Today: both pics from dlthings on twitter
To anyone who thinks that WDI will be able to completely hide the land, just look at these photos.

Donaldfan1934

I'm not referring to the other attractions, I'm referring to the description of the land. Once Indy came along, Disney "re-themed" Adventureland to a 1930's jungle theme. It's not a jarring change, but it's still a change, regardless.
Well it's a seamless change that's for sure. Also, while I know that you're not talking about the individual attractio, the Jungle Cruise was already themed to that time period anyway, right? It seems like all they did is unify the area a bit more, not change it to a strictly Indy land.

Donaldfan1934

Did they start to drain Rivers of America yet? That's a big task re working all of that river and build where the train will go through a that area. The artist pictures look wonderful.
Well, maybe they have in the back but I think that they're going to keep the front visable throughout the alterations.

Californian Elitist

Well it's a seamless change that's for sure. Also, while I know that you're not talking about the individual attractio, the Jungle Cruise was already themed to that time period anyway, right? It seems like all they did is unify the area a bit more, not change it to a strictly Indy land.

Correct, Jungle Cruise already had a similar theme.

It's nothing compared to the atrocity that is Tomorrowland. Disney hasn't officially changed the theme, but as long as they continue to put in the same type of attractions they have there now, they won't need to.

dweezil78

To anyone who thinks that WDI will be able to completely hide the land, just look at these photos.

No one is saying they are going to completely hide the land from every possible viewpoint in the park, that's silly. It certainly won't be any worse than seeing all the backstage facilities to your right as you climb the first lift hill, that's for sure.

dweezil78

And here's one of the major points of us haters of Star Wars land. Once all the available land is taken up, they may end up cannibalizing the park for other IP lands. I disagree with you that that they'll be precious towards the other lands once they fill up all their lands because if Star Wars land ends up being the biggest hit in the world, I can assure you executives will become even more careless with each addition. Personally, I hope that Toontown never goes the way of Toontown Fair in Florida. Mickey and Roger Rabibit need a place in that park and Disneyland's Fantasyland is practically perfect unlike what MK's which was dying for a redo. They haven't changed it much aside from effects upgrades in the past 30 years and there's a reason for it. Not only that, but the motor boat cruise plot is still open for them to hopefully put an addition at some point.

I really don't think there's any doubt as to whether or not SWL will be a ginormous success -- I think it's a safe bet to say it will be. But I really don't see them having the luxury to do much elsewhere in the park other than Tomorrowland anytime within the next few decades at this point. The motor boat cruise area is hardly big enough to do anything significant with IMO unless they remove the subs and Autopia when they get around to Tomorrowland, which I kinda hope they do.

There are many purists who do not share your sentiment of Toontown. It's very take it or leave it to me. I like it because my kid loves it over there, but otherwise, I think it's kind of an obnoxious plastic-y remnant of bad 90s theme park design which luckily didn't have much of an impact on the park other than that little pocket. I dig the idea behind the storyline, but the aesthetic -- while fun to look at initially -- is far more dated looking than the stuff built in the 50s IMO.

NobodyElse

As implied elsewhere, nothing can be completely hidden, so I don't believe anybody thought that would be the case. Your photographic evidence really proves nothing. It could easily show the view of where the new berm/train tunnel and trees will be. You're showing signs of logic - it's just not very sound.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the section of Toontown around Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is pretty solid. It's actually really awesome. I would make a few changes, like renaming the warehouse the ACME warehouse as in the movie, a permanent Roger Rabbit meet and greet and installing some of the movie props from MGM Studios to the area, such as the Toon Patrol car. It's really a shame they can't just transfer that section to DCA and have it on the other side of Buena Vista Street. It would be perfect!

Donaldfan1934

I really don't think there's any doubt as to whether or not SWL will be a ginormous success -- I think it's a safe bet to say it will be. But I really don't see them having the luxury to do much elsewhere in the park other than Tomorrowland anytime within the next few decades at this point. The motor boat cruise area is hardly big enough to do anything significant with IMO unless they remove the subs and Autopia when they get around to Tomorrowland, which I kinda hope they do.

There are many purists who do not share your sentiment of Toontown. It's very take it or leave it to me. I like it because my kid loves it over there, but otherwise, I think it's kind of an obnoxious plastic-y remnant of bad 90s theme park design which luckily didn't have much of an impact on the park other than that little pocket. I dig the idea behind the storyline, but the aesthetic -- while fun to look at initially -- is far more dated looking than the stuff built in the 50s IMO.
My point is that I think that they'll event take out areas to do more since there not much space left for lands. I also know that I do speak for all purists when I talk about Toontown, but I think that it's a very immersive area of you're paying attention to the right elements and know that it should look cartoony. I think that if parts of the land were just updated, refurbished, and possibly expanded it could then live up to its full potential. Thankfully, the area's often complained about faded facades are getting a much needed refurb as we speak. http://micechat.com/120563-demolition-disneyland/

Donaldfan1934

I think the section of Toontown around Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is pretty solid. It's actually really awesome. I would make a few changes, like renaming the warehouse the ACME warehouse as in the movie, a permanent Roger Rabbit meet and greet and installing some of the movie props from MGM Studios to the area, such as the Toon Patrol car. It's really a shame they can't just transfer that section to DCA and have it on the other side of Buena Vista Street. It would be perfect!
You've got the idea. Roger Rabbit is my favorite Fantasyland style dark ride in the park along with Alice in Wonderland. Updates are all the land needs. I also think that its nice for Mickey and the theme of classic cartoons shorts to have a home in Walt's park. Its what he started with after all.

Donaldfan1934

Who thinks this? That WDI needs to completely hide SWL is your little obsession because you think it proves the imagineers are ashamed of it. We don't even know just how hard they are going to try to hide the land.
You're whole comment is very true. We don't know much right now, but I still hope that the Imagineers can do what they can to hide it, even if I personally see it as them knowingly trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Like you said, its one of my many little obsessions when it comes to this project. I may despise the project at every of stage of the game, but I still hope that they do it in a way that I can completely forget about its existence as I enjoy the other 8 lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom