Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

dweezil78

Why? Why does it need to be hidden? I don't get the obsession with SW Land and why you keep insisting that it WDI should hide it from the rest of the park?

Same here. And by the way, if WDI IS going to go out of their way to hide anything, it's going to be to hide the rest of Disneyland from SWL as to make it as immersive as possible -- not the other way around.

Donaldfan1934

Same here. And by the way, if WDI IS going to go out of their way to hide anything, it's going to be to hide the rest of Disneyland from SWL as to make it as immersive as possible -- not the other way around.
Come to think of it, I guess you're right in that respect. But one of my other problems with this is that Disney seems to be treating it like its own theme park. The place is Disneyland not the queue for Star Wars land.

dweezil78

Come to think of it, I guess you're right in that respect. But one of my other problems with this is that Disney seems to be treating it like its own theme park. The place is Disneyland not the queue for Star Wars land.

Have you ever thought that maybe you are building this up in your head to be something way more evil and ominous than it even comes close to being in real life (i.e. not at all)? I'm really not sure how you are arriving at such a conclusion. It is a new land with new rides, shops, and restaurants -- just like any other land that would take up that space. Stop reading so much Micechat. :)

dweezil78

On a semi-related note, I just got back from USH to check out Harry Potter. Had never been able to check out either of the lands in Orlando so this was my first time. Wow! All around, amazing amazing job. Had so much fun walking around and exploring it all. And butterbeer is as good as everyone says it is.

I would say that Cars Land has it beat as far as making you feel like you are somewhere else entirely, but USH wins hands down as far as really immersing you in the world they've created -- every character, every experience, piece of food, merch, etc. is pretty exclusive to Harry Potter and the main attraction from the queue to the ride itself is just incredible. I could have easily done without the 3D though. It really did not add much and the glasses only made everything harder to see during the practical effects scenes and kept reminding you it was a ride.

My only major gripe is the sightlines (why this is relevant to the discussion here). Seeing office buildings, show buildings, and other parts of USH while walking through Hogsmeade is definitely an immersion killer. Hopefully those trees get tall enough to cover it all up soon enough!

Donaldfan1934

Have you ever thought that maybe you are building this up in your head to be something way more evil and ominous than it even comes close to being in real life (i.e. not at all)? I'm really not sure how you are arriving at such a conclusion. It is a new land with new rides, shops, and restaurants -- just like any other land that would take up that space. Stop reading so much Micechat. :)
Again, its all opinion. I just don't think that Star Wars would work in any Magic Kingdom, especially the original. Sure, Star Tours is a great ride and is in Tomorrowland at DL, but Tomorrowland is still Tomorrowland and Star Wars is just one ride. Not only that, but judging by its concept art, the land looks huge in size and scope. A far off departure from the cozy, intimate lands of the original Magic Kingdom. It just doesn't sit well with me on many levels, I'm not saying that you or anyone else can't enjoy it , I'm just putting my opinions out there for every development. Some agree, some don't, but I think that forums and comment sections like this one are good places to vent.

dweezil78

Not only that, but judging by its concept art, the land looks huge in size and scope. A far off departure from the cozy, intimate lands of the original Magic Kingdom.

So pretty safe to assume you would have been mortified if they ever built Discovery Bay then, which is what was once planned to go into that spot.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/12/discovery-bay.jpg

Curious Constance

On a semi-related note, I just got back from USH to check out Harry Potter. Had never been able to check out either of the lands in Orlando so this was my first time. Wow! All around, amazing amazing job. Had so much fun walking around and exploring it all. And butterbeer is as good as everyone says it is.

I would say that Cars Land has it beat as far as making you feel like you are somewhere else entirely, but USH wins hands down as far as really immersing you in the world they've created -- every character, every experience, piece of food, merch, etc. is pretty exclusive to Harry Potter and the main attraction from the queue to the ride itself is just incredible. I could have easily done without the 3D though. It really did not add much and the glasses only made everything harder to see during the practical effects scenes and kept reminding you it was a ride.

My only major gripe is the sightlines (why this is relevant to the discussion here). Seeing office buildings, show buildings, and other parts of USH while walking through Hogsmeade is definitely an immersion killer. Hopefully those trees get tall enough to cover it all up soon enough!
If you were a TRUE fan, you'd never taker your eyes away from Harry Potter Land long enough to see the buildings!

Donaldfan1934

So pretty safe to assume you would have been mortified if they ever built Discovery Bay then, which is what was once planned to go into that spot.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2014/12/discovery-bay.jpg
No, in fact judging by other pictures I think it would've blended right in based on other pictures of concept art and the model. It also would've tied into other elements in the park like BTMR in Frontierland and a Dumbo's Circus that was to be built as a transition to Fantasyland. Its themes and tone seem to be more fit for a Magic Kingdom theme park. Again, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I'm a big Harry Potter fan, read the books multiple times, and the movies of course, but for some reason, I don't have a lot of desire to go to see the new land. I think it's because I've been to USH, and I remember what the rest of the park is like.

dweezil78

No, in fact judging by other pictures I think it would've blended right in based on other pictures of concept art and the model. It also would've tied into other elements in the park like BTMR and a Dumbo's Circus that was to be built in Fantasyland. Its themes and tone seem to be more fit for a Magic Kingdom theme park. Again, that's just my opinion.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, you don't need to keep restating that. You just seem to be continually twisting and contorting your opinion and don't seem to have a very clear POV on things. If you are saying that SWL is bad because it is huge in scope and not cozy, I'm really not at all sure as to how you think the extremely ambitious and grandiose Discovery Bay would have solved for those same issues.

Donaldfan1934

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, you don't need to keep restating that. You just seem to be continually twisting and contorting your opinion and don't seem to have a very clear POV on things. If you are saying that SWL is bad because it is huge in scope and not cozy, I'm really not at all sure as to how you think the extremely ambitious and grandiose Discovery Bay would have solved for those same issues.
To be fair, the only thing that I chan my opinion on was why they may hide the land. And yes, there are number of large structures in the park, especially the mountains. I won't argue with you that the land wasn't supposed to be big and ambitious because it was, as have most major addition have been. But it's a fact that it was more in line with the other lands than Star Wars land is looking out to be. My opinion ultimately boils down to Star Wars doesn't have the right tone and feel for a Magic Kingdom of any size and shouldn't be inserted. I only brought up size because that's been a concern for every planned land in the past, even Discovery Bay. This looks like it may take up all the expansion pads on that side of the park which Discovery Bay was never planned to.

Donaldfan1934

We just have to accept that a ginormous section of Disneyland will forever be Star Wars: The Experience and there won't be much else they can do with the west side of the park unless they destroy classic attractions. Start worrying.
I agree with almost every thing you say on this thread. so much truth, but so much scary truth.

Californian Elitist

Not only will it be there for decades, but it could continue to expand into the park along with other potential IP lands like Marvel. After this decision, I would put nothing past Disney making more decisions like this if not even worse ones.

I feel like they've been making decisions like this for a while, decisions relating to IPs in the park and everything being based on a movie. I can't think of the last original attraction, whether it was a ride or a show, that went into the park. I remember seeing the Golden Horseshoe Revue tribute. It was so nice and refreshing to not only see a tribute to the historical show, but also to see something in the park that was not based on a Disney movie.

That's another thing Disney's been doing for years now... "Cartoonifying" the lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom