Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

yookeroo

Yes, I'm afraid they are going to change what I and a lot of other fans love about it.

Changing what "a lot of other fans love about" the park is true of every change they make.

Star Wars land has a different identity from the rest of the park, therefore it shouldn't be inserted. The lands right now gel together fairly smoothly despite their different themes. That's doesn't seem to be the case here, abd we're afraid that the tone of the park will one day be lost. That's all.

Says you. You realize this is just personal opinion though, not some objective truth, right?

It's certainly no more jolting than having a giant snow capped mountain serving as a transitional piece into a land dedicated to the future or having a Tiki hut on the other side of a victorian-esque Mary Poppins themed bakery.

Didn't you know that was intentional?

Travel Junkie

They've already made some progress backstage. Rides on Big Thunder may become the 2nd most popular construction picture point after the top of the parking structure.

CcF87EmWoAE2BMb.jpg

2 weeks ago

CcF87EeWwAA7du9.jpg

Today: both pics from dlthings on twitter

Californian Elitist

No one is debating that Universal has a high percentage of foreign visitors. I believe you. But you did suggest that foreign visitors would come to the area and just visit Universal and not Disneyland.

"lot of them don't. It surprised me, too, at first, but when you hear about the vacation plans of these foreigners, it starts to make sense"

You suggested that foreigners are not interested in Disneyland and would just visit Universal, what evidence do you have for this? (edited to sound less agressive (-: )

The evidence I have comes straight from the guests' mouths. Many of the guests I encountered and spoke to had absolutely NO PLANS to see Disneyland. They had plans to see Warner Bros. Studios. They had plans to see the Walk of Fame/Hollywood Blvd/the Chinese Theatre. They had plans to see Beverly Hills and the Santa Monica Pier. They had plans to see Venice Beach, the Grove, and Farmers Market... Do you notice the trend? All of the places these tourists wanted and planned to see were within the Los Angeles area, and nowhere near Orange County. A lot of tourists strictly stick to Los Angeles.

Surprise, surprise, not everyone is interested in Disneyland. This may come as a shock to some fans, but it's true. It's not hard to believe. When my uncle comes to visit, he likes to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain...he can't stand Disneyland.

You didn't answer my question, nor did Constance. Have you visited USH multiple times? I'm assuming the answer is no, since the question was dodged. You keep asking me for proof, I keep telling you I worked at the park. Again, have you visited? I at least have some sort of experience with the subject.

Californian Elitist

I can't believe this point is being belabored so.

USH has a higher percentage of its annual attendance come from international tourists than DLR. DLR's visitor base is overwhelmingly American. USH benefits from a strong interest in LA tourism from Mainland Chinese visitors, which is why USH offers the tram tour in Mandarin. Mandarin isn't even a consideration at DLR beyond the foreign language maps available for several nationalities. There is also a strong contingent of European tourists who come to LA and have no interest in the Happiest Place on Earth.

There are a huge swath of international tourists who visit LA each year and do not venture to OC for Disneyland. This is common knowledge in the LA tourism community. No one can prove this here without leaking confidential docs from either park and that's not gonna happen - but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Bless you. Thank you.

Kiwiduck

The evidence I have comes straight from the guests' mouths. Many of the guests I encountered and spoke to had absolutely NO PLANS to see Disneyland. They had plans to see Warner Bros. Studios. They had plans to see the Walk of Fame/Hollywood Blvd/the Chinese Theatre. They had plans to see Beverly Hills and the Santa Monica Pier. They had plans to see Venice Beach, the Grove, and Farmers Market... Do you notice the trend? All of the places these tourists wanted and planned to see were within the Los Angeles area, and nowhere near Orange County. A lot of tourists strictly stick to Los Angeles.

Surprise, surprise, not everyone is interested in Disneyland. This may come as a shock to some fans, but it's true. It's not hard to believe. When my uncle comes to visit, he likes to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain...he can't stand Disneyland.

You didn't answer my question, nor did Constance. Have you visited USH multiple times? I'm assuming the answer is no, since the question was dodged. You keep asking me for proof, I keep telling you I worked at the park. Again, have you visited? I at least have some sort of experience with the subject.
There is actually no need for you to be so belligerent. I have already said I believe you about the guest demographics at Universal Studios. That is not the point of what I'm trying to say. The fact there is a large percentage of foreign visitors at Universal is not up for debate, I'm just trying to say that doesn't mean that there are not a greater raw number of foreign visitors at Disneyland, because that is how numbers work.

I also tried to politely ask if you had any information beyond your personal interactions with visitors as an a Universal Employee. I thought you might as you seem to be generally well informed about things but if you don't that is OK.

I'm not sure what your uncle has to do with anything, is he a foreigner? Even so, not every foreign person on earth has to prefer Disney to Universal for it to be true that greater raw numbers visit Disneyland than Universal. Many foreigners just like many Americans are not interested in any theme parks at all - maybe they will change their minds after the awesome Star Wars Land is finished though!

Californian Elitist

There is actually no need for you to be so belligerent. I have already said I believe you about the guest demographics at Universal Studios. That is not the point of what I'm trying to say. The fact there is a large percentage of foreign visitors at Universal is not up for debate, I'm just trying to say that doesn't mean that there are not a greater raw number of foreign visitors at Disneyland, because that is how numbers work.

I also tried to politely ask if you had any information beyond your personal interactions with visitors as an a Universal Employee. I thought you might as you seem to be generally well informed about things but if you don't that is OK.

I'm not sure what your uncle has to do with anything, is he a foreigner? Even so, not every foreign person on earth has to prefer Disney to Universal for it to be true that greater raw numbers visit Disneyland than Universal. Many foreigners just like many Americans are not interested in any theme parks at all - maybe they will change their minds after the awesome Star Wars Land is finished though!

I'm not being belligerent. I'm sorry you feel that way. If you think what I posted was hostile, I don't know how you'd feel I I really got mean and angry to the point of hostility.

I politely answered your question. My information is coming from the guests.

I never said there wasn't a great number of foreigners who visited Disneyland. What I did say was they're not the majority.

Not sure why numbers keep getting brought up. One of my multiple points was that some foreigners don't intend to visit Disneyland. There's no point in bringing up numbers, as I didn't say Disneyland receives absolutely no foreign guests.

You had (possibly still have) a hard time believing people don't come to California without visiting Disneyland, yet visit USH. I provided you an example by using my uncle, who does just that. Whether he's a foreigner or not, it doesn't matter, as there are also Americans who come to visit USH and don't visit Disneyland.

Why won't you answer my question? For the third time, have you been to USH multiple times, or at all?

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

I'm not being belligerent. I'm sorry you feel that way. If you think what I posted was hostile, I don't know how you'd feel I I really got mean and angry to the point of hostility.

I politely answered your question. My information is coming from the guests.

I never said there wasn't a great number of foreigners who visited Disneyland. What I did say was they're not the majority.

Not sure why numbers keep getting brought up. One of my multiple points was that some foreigners don't intend to visit Disneyland. There's no point in bringing up numbers, as I didn't say Disneyland receives absolutely no foreign guests.

You had (possibly still have) a hard time believing people don't come to California without visiting Disneyland, yet visit USH. I provided you an example by using my uncle, who does just that. Whether he's a foreigner or not, it doesn't matter, as there are also Americans who come to visit USH and don't visit Disneyland.

Why won't you answer my question? For the third time, have you been to USH multiple times, or at all?
Yes, I have been multiple times to Universal as a child and as an adult and my experience of the demographics there is not the same as yours, BUT, my last visit was in 1997 and so I am happy to accept your opinion of the current demographics of Universal (this is the third time I have told you that I believe you by the way). I just don't agree with what you think this means in a broader sense.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Yes, I have been multiple times to Universal as a child and as an adult and my experience of the demographics there is not the same as yours, BUT, my last visit was in 1997 and so I am happy to accept your opinion of the current demographics of Universal (this is the third time I have told you that I believe you by the way). I just don't agree with what you think this means in a broader sense.

Thank you for answering the question.

I didn't say you didn't believe me.

I'm just going to leave it at this, this is the last thing I'm going to say on the topic. On a day-to-day basis, locals and Americans in general at Disneyland outnumber the foreign guests. On a day-to-day basis, foreign guests outnumber the locals and American guests at USH. This has been one of my points. Anyone who lives in the area, regularly visits both parks, and or has worked at both parks, as I have, knows this as truth, as @GiveMeTheMusic said. It's been this way for years and years. Disneyland sees foreigners, yes, but not as consistently as USH does, and the diversity is definitely not there.

Have a good night/day (not sure what time it is for you).

Kiwiduck

Thank you for answering the question.

I didn't say you didn't believe me.

I'm just going to leave it at this, this is the last thing I'm going to say on the topic. On a day-to-day basis, locals and Americans in general at Disneyland outnumber the foreign guests. On a day-to-day basis, foreign guests outnumber the locals and American guests at USH. This has been one of my points. Anyone who lives in the area, regularly visits both parks, and or has worked at both parks, as I have, knows this as truth, as @GiveMeTheMusic said. It's been this way for years and years. Disneyland sees foreigners, yes, but not as consistently as USH does, and the diversity is definitely not there.

Have a good night/day (not sure what time it is for you).
It is a hot and humid early evening where I am. You haven't considered or acknowledged my main point in any way - BUT - I agree it is time to let it go, especially as what we are talking about has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Longhairbear

When I say bookings I mean future vacation travel, not people who live in the area suddenly jumping up the next day to visit the park on a whim because of a TV special they saw the night before. ;)
Hi, and I did understand what you meant about future bookings. I was just adding an anecdotal note about current park attendance the night after the "special". As for myself, I had booked that trip 7 months ago, as I am a DVC member, and the only way I can book a one bedroom villa at The Grand California as the DVC units fill fast. Any surge in attendance is sure to affect me when I try to book for this June.

Donaldfan1934

My point is that the tone and character of the park has already changed. It's been steadily progressing and changing since opening day, sometimes with giants leaps like TL "67 or NOS or Indiana Jones, but it's always in a state of flux both in spirit and in content. I see SW Land as being as just another part of that evolution.
TL "67 and NOS while being new lands still carried that classic Walt Disney feel and personality. I agree with you on Indiana Jones though. that being said its just one ride that doesn't interfere with the rest of Adventureland. As you can guess, I personally feel that the ride doesn't gel that well with the mentioned tone and character of the rest of the park, but its an excellent ride nonetheless.

Donaldfan1934

One sobering thought I had this morning on my drive into work that may both simultaneously comfort and depress those of you who are fearful of the long term implications SWL may have on the design on Disneyland park.

Aside from whatever they ultimately decide to do with Tomorrowland (which, let's face it, probably won't happen for another decade) and Toontown (which looks to be a Fantasyland expansion) -- Star Wars Land is probably IT as far as any kind of significant expansion any of us will see in our lifetimes.

They've been trying to get something going on that plot of land forever, and even for them to do it, they had to relocate backstage facilities and re-route the river and train to fit it in. Unless they are planning on leveling Adventureland, Frontierland, or NOS anytime soon (all highly unlikely), this is pretty much the Disneyland we are going to know until we see what Walt has been hard at work at upstairs.

Will attractions change, maybe even be replaced over time? Of course. But other significant IP-based lands (or any lands period) at Disneyland? I don't see how that's even possible.
And here's one of the major points of us haters of Star Wars land. Once all the available land is taken up, they may end up cannibalizing the park for other IP lands. I disagree with you that that they'll be precious towards the other lands once they fill up all their lands because if Star Wars land ends up being the biggest hit in the world, I can assure you executives will become even more careless with each addition. Personally, I hope that Toontown never goes the way of Toontown Fair in Florida. Mickey and Roger Rabibit need a place in that park and Disneyland's Fantasyland is practically perfect unlike what MK's which was dying for a redo. They haven't changed it much aside from effects upgrades in the past 30 years and there's a reason for it. Not only that, but the motor boat cruise plot is still open for them to hopefully put an addition at some point.

Donaldfan1934

Just curious... Based on all the concept art released so far, what makes you think SWL won't gel with the rest of the park in a similar manner -- other than being placed beyond the berm which would have been the case with anything that went back there? The artwork looks both simultaneously lush with plant life and full of interesting rock work which will blend perfectly with that area of the park.

It's certainly no more jolting than having a giant snow capped mountain serving as a transitional piece into a land dedicated to the future or having a Tiki hut on the other side of a victorian-esque Mary Poppins themed bakery.
I've mad many posts about it on this thread on this thread, but in short, it doesn't have that classic Disney feel to it. For example, you may get a yearning to go to DL/MK if you watch a classic Disney movie because of the similarities in tone and feel. That's not necessarily a yearning that a Star Wars movie will give you now, is it? Also trees help smooth the transition between Main St. And Adventureland.

Donaldfan1934

Changing what "a lot of other fans love about" the park is true of every change they make.

Says you. You realize this is just personal opinion though, not some objective truth, right?
Yes I kno it is just my opinion, but the reason that I and a lot of other fans disagree with this is because it will be a very different style land from the rest of the park on multiple levels. To say that you are looking forward to the land is one thing, but to say that there aren't some stronng differences between its aproach and that of the existing lands is another.

Donaldfan1934

Adventureland's theme was changed to accommodate Indy. That says a lot.
I know that they remodeled some of the facades around the time that it opened, but how do things like the Enchanted Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise revolve around an Indy theme?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom