Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Phroobar

I still miss the Star Trek: The Experience at Las Vegas. I never saw the Borg encounter ride but being "beamed" onto the Enterprise and walking pass the bridge and on to the simulator was pretty cool. I did like how they open more windows of the shuttle when you fly through Vegas.

George Lucas on a Bench

From what I've seen of it in videos, it was pretty awesome. I mean, they really immersed you in the Trek universe with the DS9 promenade, Quark's bar, characters walking around and beaming you onto the Enterprise. I'm sure the simulator ride was nothing special aside from being Trek, but the rest of the Experience was done very well and in many ways seems like it was on the level of something like the Wizarding World. I wish it was still there.

NobodyElse

I still miss the Star Trek: The Experience at Las Vegas. I never saw the Borg encounter ride but being "beamed" onto the Enterprise and walking pass the bridge and on to the simulator was pretty cool. I did like how they open more windows of the shuttle when you fly through Vegas.

I visited this once. I thought it was extremely well executed. (The "beaming up" portion was a highlight for me.)

Wasn't there talk of re-locating or recreating the attraction elsewhere?

Phroobar

Standing on the bridge with all the actors was neat and riding the turbo lifts to the shuttles was cool too. Makes me wonder how they setup all of that. From what I've heard, the Borg encounter was a lot like a Knott's scary farm maze as your chase by the Borg into Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

Last edited:

dweezil78

From what I've seen of it in videos, it was pretty awesome. I mean, they really immersed you in the Trek universe with the DS9 promenade, Quark's bar, characters walking around and beaming you onto the Enterprise. I'm sure the simulator ride was nothing special aside from being Trek, but the rest of the Experience was done very well and in many ways seems like it was on the level of something like the Wizarding World. I wish it was still there.

Was definitely pretty cool -- but super pricey for one attraction if I remember correctly. The beam effect was really neat, especially if you weren't expecting it. If you've ever seen it, it's essentially the same effect they use at IOA for Poseidon's Fury's teleporting room trick. (Not sure if they do this there any more or not, but they did when it first opened.)

dagobert

While I think the concept art provided by the special yesterday looks stunning, I will not get my expectations too high. Big IPs like Star Wars or Harry Potter tend to do that. I'm sure the SW land will look fantastic, but I'm not so sure about the rides. I had the same problem with Harry Potter at Universal Studios. The lands in both parks, Islands of Adventure and Studios, look great, especially Diagon Alley, but the Escape from Gringotts ride was underwhelming. Forbidden Journey was a fantastic ride, but for me it didn't live up to the internet hype. It's definitely one of the best themepark rides ever, and one of the best rides in Florida, but I learned that I shouldn't set my expectations too high.

So with SW I will keep the expectations for the rides low. I'm sure the land itself will look beautiful.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

From today's MiceAge update:

" Meanwhile, as Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary celebration continues with not much more than the addition of a food festival and a minor new ride in Cars Land, a little park just an hour’s drive north of Disneyland is previewing its new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal Studio‘s magical new land has already changed the theme park landscape in Florida and now it’s preparing to change everything out here in California."

They need to make up their minds. Are IP based lands the be all and end all, like they claim Harry Potter is? Or is it the end of the world, like they claim Star Wars Land is?

GiveMeTheMusic

From today's MiceAge update:

" Meanwhile, as Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary celebration continues with not much more than the addition of a food festival and a minor new ride in Cars Land, a little park just an hour’s drive north of Disneyland is previewing its new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal Studio‘s magical new land has already changed the theme park landscape in Florida and now it’s preparing to change everything out here in California."

They need to make up their minds. Are IP based lands the be all and end all, like they claim Harry Potter is? Or is it the end of the world, like they claim Star Wars Land is?

That's from today's Dateline Disneyland article, which is not a MiceAge Update. Those are two different columns that run at different times. Andy Castro, the author of Dateline, has said he's against single-IP lands in Disneyland, not Universal Studios Hollywood, or even DCA. There are a lot of people who hold that viewpoint, and it started being discussed when HKDL announced Toy Story Land in 2009.

There's also a difference between saying you love WWOHP and you love single IP lands.

Californian Elitist

That's from today's Dateline Disneyland article, which is not a MiceAge Update. Those are two different columns that run at different times. Andy Castro, the author of Dateline, has said he's against single-IP lands in Disneyland, not Universal Studios Hollywood, or even DCA. There are a lot of people who hold that viewpoint, and it started being discussed when HKDL announced Toy Story Land in 2009.

There's also a difference between saying you love WWOHP and you love single IP lands.

Yep.

GiveMeTheMusic

So Universal gets a pass for WWoHP? Why?

USH and DL are two entirely different parks with entirely different histories and philosophies. Why would anyone think that they play by the same rules?

Have you ever been to USH? There is literally nothing about it that suggests Disneyland in any way, shape or form. It's only theme is "MOVIE STUDIO!!!!!" which is barely a theme at all.

I don't understand how this is even a question.

Curious Constance

USH and DL are two entirely different parks with entirely different histories and philosophies. Why would anyone think that they play by the same rules?

Have you ever been to USH? There is literally nothing about it that suggests Disneyland in any way, shape or form. It's only theme is "MOVIE STUDIO!!!!!" which is barely a theme at all.

I don't understand how this is even a question.
Then why do they constantly compare what Disneyland is doing to what Universal is doing? They've been stating for years that Universal is the new standard to judge by and now that Disney is responding similarly, they freak out.

GiveMeTheMusic

Then why do they constantly compare what Disneyland is doing to what Universal is doing? They've been stating for years that Universal is the new standard to judge by and now that Disney is responding similarly, they freak out.

Andy has consistently disliked the idea of SWL in DL for his stated reasons. They have nothing to do with Universal. Universal has done a fabulous job with Harry Potter. Andy likes their Harry Potter land. These are not connected issues. I've never heard Andy say that Universal is the new standard to judge by - that said, many of their newer attractions have been more ambitious and successful than Disney's newer domestic attractions.

You're conflating a lot of stuff to reach a conclusion that isn't being met by your adversaries.

Again, you can like something at USH on its own terms while still having thematic concerns for SWL at DL. This isn't rocket science. They're two different worlds completely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom