Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

BrianLo

Alright, let's take things away from people's opinions of this thing for the moment, that's a conversation that isn't going anywhere fast...

mvjkf1qzmpfmazfyf4lc.jpg

This is the most interesting new concept art to me. What we see here is the first glimpse of what the land looks like by entering from Critter Country. It looks quite different than the image we keep seeing that shows the Big Thunder Trail entrances.

In the background is a small portion of the Battle Attraction show building. The elevated walkway is how guests will enter the land coming from hungry bear. The lower level is also all guest accessible areas. The bottom right of the image you can see where you actually enter the queue and it will extend outside the frame to the left and then up to the attraction.

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

To orient yourself the Mice Age map is fantastic (and fantastically accurate). We are looking North essentially from the corner of the new berm.

IMO it's a really smooth transition as critter country trees give way to out of this world trees, to rock work and eventually shifting to the more Star-Wars-ian parts of the town that we've seen.

Stevek

Here's all the new artwork that was revealed - https://d23.com/new-details-for-upcoming-star-wars-themed-lands/
(Sorry if already posted!!!)

At least from the concept art, it does look pretty stunning. Will be really interesting to see how they pull it off and what tricks they use to do it. If it weren't for the epic-ness of Cars Land, I'd have said it looks to good to be true.
If it ends up looking like this, I will be completely blow away.

Travel Junkie

Alright, let's take things away from people's opinions of this thing for the moment, that's a conversation that isn't going anywhere fast...

mvjkf1qzmpfmazfyf4lc.jpg

This is the most interesting new concept art to me. What we see here is the first glimpse of what the land looks like by entering from Critter Country. It looks quite different than the image we keep seeing that shows the Big Thunder Trail entrances.

In the background is a small portion of the Battle Attraction show building. The elevated walkway is how guests will enter the land coming from hungry bear. The lower level is also all guest accessible areas. The bottom right of the image you can see where you actually enter the queue and it will extend outside the frame to the left and then up to the attraction.

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

To orient yourself the Mice Age map is fantastic (and fantastically accurate). We are looking North essentially from the corner of the new berm.

IMO it's a really smooth transition as critter country trees give way to out of this world trees, to rock work and eventually shifting to the more Star-Wars-ian parts of the town that we've seen.

Agreed. I really like how layered it looks. It has very natural lived in appearance instead of theme park look to it.

Side note: Everything we have seen shows how it was designed for Disneyland. I wonder how they will address the transitions in Florida which will strangely much tougher to pull off since it will not be transitioning from lands with a similar landscape like Critter Country and Frontierland. Echo Lake I suppose gives them something to work with.

Disney Analyst

Really looks like this land will have the walled in, Diagon feel, which I love. Fully immersive, no outside world peering in... and honestly, if someone hates the idea of it being part of Disneyland, they can basically ignore it and the park at large is relatively unaffected.

My take on the attraction was that the Millennium Falcon ride may be a take on soarin or something, where the ride vehicle is a fully enclose pod, and you take off in a motion simulated Falcon, and control the guns somewhat, which interact with the screen.. maybe you can steer it a bit... I don't know.. Seems like something you could have tons of individual falcons going at once.

Storm trooper/rebel fighter ride seems like Spider Man/Transformers but with better sets and actual animatronics involved.

Donaldfan1934

From today's MiceAge update:

" Meanwhile, as Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary celebration continues with not much more than the addition of a food festival and a minor new ride in Cars Land, a little park just an hour’s drive north of Disneyland is previewing its new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal Studio‘s magical new land has already changed the theme park landscape in Florida and now it’s preparing to change everything out here in California."

They need to make up their minds. Are IP based lands the be all and end all, like they claim Harry Potter is? Or is it the end of the world, like they claim Star Wars Land is?
It's not a matter of either or, its both. IP lands have their place in certain parks, but Disneyland isn't one of them. In short, what Disney puts in DHS doesn't necessarily work for DL.

Donaldfan1934

Agreed. I really like how layered it looks. It has very natural lived in appearance instead of theme park look to it.

Side note: Everything we have seen shows how it was designed for Disneyland. I wonder how they will address the transitions in Florida which will strangely much tougher to pull off since it will not be transitioning from lands with a similar landscape like Critter Country and Frontierland. Echo Lake I suppose gives them something to work with.
They're the same basic design. The concept art allies to both.

dweezil78

It's not a matter of either or, its both. IP lands have their place in certain parks, but Disneyland isn't one of them. In short, what Disney puts in DHS doesn't necessarily work for DL.

The only reason you think this is because the first IP land to hit Disneyland came well after you were born and could make sense of the world. I envy all the kids who get to grow up post-2019 who won't have to deal with people on the internet putting arbitrary rules on a place where we go to ride rides and eat churros. I guarantee Disneyland will still be as special and magical to all of them as it is to us.

I wish the internet was around when New Orleans Square was announced. I could totally see it. -- Wait, what?? They're building a land dedicated to a CITY off of Fronteirland and Adventureland? What?? It's not off of the main hub?? But that's how Disneyland works! Everything is a spoke off the main hub! And why is there a boat ride in the entrance of a building from this city?!? How does that even make sense?! BOYCOTT!

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The only reason you think this is because the first IP land to hit Disneyland came well after you were born and could make sense of the world. I envy all the kids who get to grow up post-2019 who won't have to deal with people on the internet putting arbitrary rules on a place where we go to ride rides and eat churros. I guarantee Disneyland will still be as special and magical to all of them as it is to us.

I wish the internet was around when New Orleans Square was announced. I could totally see it. -- Wait, what?? They're building a land dedicated to a CITY off of Fronteirland and Adventureland? What?? It's not off of the main hub?? But that's how Disneyland works! Everything is a spoke off the main hub! And why is there a boat ride in the entrance of a building from this city?!? How does that even make sense?! BOYCOTT!

Building a land based on a city at Disneyland and building a land based on a single IP at Disneyland are two different things.

dweezil78

Building a land based on a city at Disneyland and building a land based on a single IP at Disneyland are two different things.

Right. And both were done without precedent, did not fit the original model of the park's lands, or branch neatly off the hub. What makes one more valid than the other? Strictly because one was done under Walt's watch and not the other?

Californian Elitist

Right. And both were done without precedent, did not fit the original model of the park's lands, or branch neatly off the hub. What makes one more valid than the other? Strictly because one was done under Walt's watch and not the other?

I don't think any of us have a problem with Star Wars Land not branching off from the hub. I'm pretty sure no one argued that (maybe I'm wrong, I don't know). New Orleans Square fits the original model of the lands fairly well, actually. You've got the concept of 18th/19th century New Orleans, Louisiana and attractions, original attractions at that, based around the concept. New Orleans Square is most like Main Street (a place or places during a specific era), and maybe a little like Frontierland.

The concept of 18th/19th century New Orleans, or any other city for that matter, still leaves one to come up with original attraction concepts and back stories, just like the original lands, with the exception of Fantasyland. Star Wars Land does not. Two completely different things.

britain

I think WDI is sort of acknowledging that Star Wars doesn't quite fit the 'Land' mold by:

1. Placing it beyond railroad tracks. Through all three paths, you are symbolically leaving Walt's park by traveling under railroad bridges.

2. Keeping it well hidden - this is not a Tarzan / Pirates / River Belle mixer. It's going to be a world away, and not trample on the other Lands (even though it's requiring a chunk of Frontierland real estate to do it).

3. Naming it "The Star Wars Experience." It's not a land, but is a lot more than just an attraction. It's other. Not a 3rd park, but it's close.

FigmentForver96

I think WDI is sort of acknowledging that Star Wars doesn't quite fit the 'Land' mold by:

1. Placing it beyond railroad tracks. Through all three paths, you are symbolically leaving Walt's park by traveling under railroad bridges.

2. Keeping it well hidden - this is not a Tarzan / Pirates / River Belle mixer. It's going to be a world away, and not trample on the other Lands (even though it's requiring a chunk of Frontierland real estate to do it).

3. Naming it "The Star Wars Experience." It's not a land, but is a lot more than just an attraction. It's other. Not a 3rd park, but it's close.
Number one is invalid. They do the same in Hong Kong and those lands aren't any less Disney or appropriate

dweezil78

I don't think any of us have a problem with Star Wars Land not branching off from the hub. I'm pretty sure no one argued that (maybe I'm wrong, I don't know). New Orleans Square fits the original model of the lands fairly well, actually. You've got the concept of 18th/19th century New Orleans, Louisiana and attractions, original attractions at that, based around the concept. New Orleans Square is most like Main Street (a place or places during a specific era), and maybe a little like Frontierland.

The concept of 18th/19th century New Orleans, or any other city for that matter, still leaves one to come up with original attraction concepts and back stories, just like the original lands, with the exception of Fantasyland. Star Wars Land does not. Two completely different things.

Look, we can all sit here all day and come up with a list of arguments that support why Star Wars Land makes sense like you've done with New Orleans Square (scroll through the past 89 pages and you'll find at least a hundred in either direction). The point I'm trying to make is, 10 years after Disneyland opened, they dropped a land based on a CITY inside the park (yes, Main St is inspired by real places - but it is not called Fort Collins Marceline Street). It was an unprecedented move by the company in the way its lands were themed and how it connected to the rest of the park. For all the reasons you can say it made sense, there are just as many as why it did not.

If New Orleans Square had not been built in the 60s and they announced it today, people would be scratching their heads screaming bloody murder.

To the kids who get to grow up with the Star Wars addition, this won't seem strange and out of place in the same way that New Orleans Square doesn't to the majority of us who were born in the 70s and beyond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom