Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Stevek

Then why do they constantly compare what Disneyland is doing to what Universal is doing? They've been stating for years that Universal is the new standard to judge by and now that Disney is responding similarly, they freak out.
I kinda understand the comparison...not so much about the types of parks (they are completely different) but more about the spend being made. Uni has clearly been stepping it up over the past decade, building highly immersive "Disney like" attractions and lands. I'm very happy Disney is now following suit with Pandora and SW land...and perhaps even Toy Story Land and DHS. And let's not forget about the beautiful Cars Land. The reason people are freaking out is that as others pointed out here, some folks don't want an entire land at Disneyland dedicated to a single franchise. I get it but as I said in another thread, time to move on, it's happening.

Travel Junkie

USH and DL are two entirely different parks with entirely different histories and philosophies. Why would anyone think that they play by the same rules?

Have you ever been to USH? There is literally nothing about it that suggests Disneyland in any way, shape or form. It's only theme is "MOVIE STUDIO!!!!!" which is barely a theme at all.

I don't understand how this is even a question.

He's just trolling. The vast majority of his posts are trying to create arguments, many of them are downright insulting people attempting to get them to engage.

It's best to just ignore at this point.

D

Deleted member 107043

Have you ever been to USH? There is literally nothing about it that suggests Disneyland in any way, shape or form. It's only theme is "MOVIE STUDIO!!!!!" which is barely a theme at all.

Of course. I guess my question was really more about content to drive the business. If Disney is going to compete into the next 60 years it can't rely on theme park formulas that worked in the 60s and 70s. The public response to WWoHP and Cars Land tells us that visitors want fully immersive experiences based on familiar characters and stories, not Disneyland circa 1962.

GiveMeTheMusic

Of course. I guess my question was really more about content to drive the business. If Disney is going to compete into the next 60 years it can't rely on theme park formulas that worked in the 60s and 70s. The public response to WWoHP and Cars Land tells us that visitors want fully immersive experiences based on familiar characters and stories, not Disneyland circa 1962.

That's all well and good. There are still people who think that Disneyland proper is not the place for that, and they're entitled to think that. It won't change the fact that SWL is getting built, and it doesn't impair them from enjoying single IP lands in other parks where they don't present any thematic issues.

That said, Disneyland is still ragingly popular without any major ride or land additions in 20 years. It would seem that the old school way of doing things still works for it.

D

Deleted member 107043

That said, Disneyland is still ragingly popular without any major ride or land additions in 20 years.

True, but a sizable chunk of that business is directly attributable to marketing (60th Anniversary special!!), seasonal promotions, IP content, and a ton of Annual Passholders.

GiveMeTheMusic

There were no marketing or seasonal promotions in 2014, and yet Disneyland attendance rose 3.5%. APs are still attendance.

WDW has next to no APs and hasn't had a major marketing celebration in years, and MK experienced a 4% bump in 2014 as well. The castle park concept is still alive and well and people love it - far more than they love every other concept Disney or Universal has put out there so far.

While IP lands are very popular and guest love them, guests still love DL/MK and their collections of generally themed lands.

dweezil78

USH and DL are two entirely different parks with entirely different histories and philosophies. Why would anyone think that they play by the same rules?

I don't understand how this is even a question.

I hear what you are saying... but WWOHP originally opened at IOA which I feel like was very much Universal's attempt at a Magic Kingdom style park (however flawed any of us may argue it is), and it's worked very well over there. I know there are still a ton of differences/variables to consider of course. Just wanted to point out that WWOHP isn't solely a USH thing and has fit in well at a place that isn't a weird studio/park thing. :)

Honestly, though, clearly this is one debate among DL fans that will only continue to go around in circles and make everyone crabby. There's no right or wrong answer. Everyone has valid points. Despite what anyone on this board says or threatens, no one is going to boycott the company or stop going to Disneyland about it. The reality though is that SWL is happening whether or not we want it to or not so my POV is that way may as well just hope for the best, look forward to obsessing over construction shots over the next few years, and go along for the ride.

D

Deleted member 107043

There were no marketing or seasonal promotions in 2014

It's well documented that the resort was still riding the massive attendance increase from of Cars Land and BV Street, which opened the previous year. Plus all the other drivers I mentioned previously.

While IP lands are very popular and guest love them, guests still love DL/MK and their collections of generally themed lands.

Never said they didn't. I'm just pointing out that the Disneyland concept has evolved, and if Disney wants to stay on top it will have to keep pace with trends in the industry, or better yet continually create its own game changers. Unfortunately for some this will probably translate into more single IP based themed lands inside the magic kingdoms. This is why I questioned why Uni gets a pass when we've seen how successful the formula can be. Like it or not WWoHP and Cars Land have redefined what the theme park experience looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

I hear what you are saying... but WWOHP originally opened at IOA which I feel like was very much Universal's attempt at a Magic Kingdom style park (however flawed any of us may argue it is), and it's worked very well over there.

Interesting point. It wouldn't be too hard to frame an argument against WWoHP at Universal similar to one that people are making here about DL's history. Universal Studios Hollywood is supposed to be a back stage visit to one of the film industry's legendary production facilities. I mean it's not a theme park, but a working movie studio right? We're supposed to be there to see how movies are made, not ride rides....

Curious Constance

Andy has consistently disliked the idea of SWL in DL for his stated reasons. They have nothing to do with Universal. Universal has done a fabulous job with Harry Potter. Andy likes their Harry Potter land. These are not connected issues. I've never heard Andy say that Universal is the new standard to judge by - that said, many of their newer attractions have been more ambitious and successful than Disney's newer domestic attractions.

You're conflating a lot of stuff to reach a conclusion that isn't being met by your adversaries.

Again, you can like something at USH on its own terms while still having thematic concerns for SWL at DL. This isn't rocket science. They're two different worlds completely.
I see your point. Still to me, the articles on Micechat/Miceage whatever it's called, really do seem to act as if Universal can do no wrong and anything Disney does these days is flat out wrong. I think they are written in that way to get people to click and read and soon after "Donate" to their website, but still it can be very frustrating to read.

dweezil78

If you look through this thread, its about 5 people all repeating the same post 30 different ways lol. I was going to say something else on the subject...but this how I'm suddenly feeling.

459facd78b9dbaf6122bdf065188fec7.jpg

Curious Constance

Wait, were you referring to Hans? Lol
I can definitely vouch for Hans, he is NOT a troller!
Of course, I'm probably not very high up on your nice list, so that may not mean much. ;)

dweezil78

Of course, I'm probably not very high up on your nice list, so that may not mean much. ;)

Vouching for Hans too. I think he just occasionally enjoys getting a rise out of some of the more overly-emotional (irrational?) members of this forum. ;) It doesn't make his viewpoints or contributions any less valid though.

Travel Junkie

I respect your point of view and you are respectful. That's what we are here to do.

We are here to debate Disney. Disagreement is healthy and expected. I appreciate your POV even though it is often different than mine. We all look at the parks differently. That's great. I value your contribution to the forum and bring a perspective isn't as prevalent on a site like this where the people that post take more of a harder stance. By and large most people that attend Disneyland aren't like us and that sometimes gets lost when discussing the issues of the park.

As admitted just above He does exactly do what I was saying. He wants to start conflict and will resort to personal attacks to get there. That's not healthy discussion and shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated.

dweezil78

I may have missed it, but has anyone actually talked about what was revealed last night? We more or less knew about the Millennium Falcon ride which looks to be a simulator (a next gen Mission Space perhaps?) -- but the other lesser known attraction looks like it might be a Star Wars themed Astro Blaster from what I could tell? My money is that they use the new ride system for Buzz in Shanghai on this.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom