Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Count me as another one who's not the biggest fan of Star Tours. I LOVED the original, but then they changed the ride. I don't like the new version because it's blatantly a Star Wars ride, unlike the original, and now it makes me dizzy and sick.

George Lucas on a Bench

I was actually disappointed when they redid Star Tours because they basically kept it the same kind of thing and it just seemed so antiquated at that point, and not in a good way. Universal had done some awesome stuff like Spider-Man and Harry Potter (although HP is kinda sickening) and Disney failed to impress with something bigger and better for Star Wars. The irony is that they're now doing that and I'm complaining about it.

That being said, Star Tours II kinda grew on me, but it doesn't rank high for me as far as Disneyland attractions go. I prefer Captain Rex to See-Threepio and I think it needs more than three main beginning and end scenes. I'm also not a fan of it always being the same formula with Threepio getting in the ship, a Rebel spy every time and that awkward middle transmission scene where everything stops and gets quiet. They had the right idea with making it random scenes, but could have executed it better.

Donaldfan1934

I was actually disappointed when they redid Star Tours because they basically kept it the same kind of thing and it just seemed so antiquated at that point, and not in a good way. Universal had done some awesome stuff like Spider-Man and Harry Potter (although HP is kinda sickening) and Disney failed to impress with something bigger and better for Star Wars. The irony is that they're now doing that and I'm complaining about it.
What did you expect? they wanted to keep the concept of Star Tours so they just updated it with modern tech. Star Tours is one of the few screen based attractions that still work simply because the screen is just a windshield and not surrounding you. The last really impressive thing that's been done with screens and simulators was Spiderman at Universal. Since movie theaters around the country are providing premium formats with 3D and seats with speakers in them, I think that it renders most screen based attractions as nothing special. It is well known that Univarsal continues to use screen based simulators as a crutch which I think is far too limited range that will cause them have trouble growing both creatively and with untapped audiences. Modern Disney currently has a much greater balance but it coul go awry. In short, I think that Disney should keep the screen heavy attractions that they have, but stay away from more unless they're in a cockpit or something.

Californian Elitist

You mean the original ride where you almost get captured by an Imperial destroyer, then join the rebel forces in their x-wing fighters, running the trench of the Death Star in order to blow it to bits?

Yes, I mean that one. It can't be denied the newer version of Star Tours is more "Star Wars" than the original version. The original version was more suttle. I never said there weren't any Star Wars references.

FigmentForver96

Yes, I mean that one. It can't be denied the newer version of Star Tours is more "Star Wars" than the original version. The original version was more suttle. I never said there weren't any Star Wars references.
I mean could you imagine the Star Wars ride being more Star Wars! The ride was never meant to a subtle Star Wars experience, just a different experience. They did the same thing by adding new planets, and letting a familiar character pilot the ship.

Donaldfan1934

Count me as another one who's not the biggest fan of Star Tours. I LOVED the original, but then they changed the ride. I don't like the new version because it's blatantly a Star Wars ride, unlike the original, and now it makes me dizzy and sick.
How was the original NOT blatantly a Star Wars ride? Sure, it may not have encompassed the whole Star Wars universe like the new ride does, but it did blow up the Death Star amongst fleets of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. R2 and 3PO were still part of the experience even though 3PO wasn't the pilot. And last but not least, the ride was set to John Williams's famous score. The placement of a "blatant" Star Wars ride in Tomorrowland might not be ideal, but I know that we both agree that it sure as hell beats an intrusive land. Nothing wrong with an individual Star Wars ride being a Star Wars ride personally speaking.

Rich T

How was the original NOT blatantly a Star Wars ride? Sure, it may not have encompassed the whole Star Wars universe like the new ride does, but it did blow up the Death Star amongst fleets of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. R2 and 3PO were still part of the experience even though 3PO wasn't the pilot. And last but not least, the ride was set to John Williams's famous score. The placement of a "blatant" Star Wars ride in Tomorrowland might not be ideal, but I know that we both agree that it sure as hell beats an intrusive land. Nothing wrong with an individual Star Wars ride being a Star Wars ride personally speaking.

Okay, I think I know what raven24's getting at, because I preferred the original version too. I don't think it was any less blatantly "Star Wars" (especially since it climaxed with the famous trench run), but there was much greater emphasis on the idea that Star Tours was an intergalactic travel agency, Rex and the maintenance droids were new characters, and the launch station and ice-steroid were created for the ride. Also, the first room of the queue--even with Admiral Akbar, 3PO and R2 present--felt very Tomorrowland-y. The main reason I like the original better, though, was the awesome backstory that unfolded as you went through the queue: Everything looked shiny and welcoming at first, but the farther you went in, the seedier and creepier it got as you realized Star Tours was actually a very poorly-run business, some of its tours never returned, and even the employees didn't trust the starspeeders. The final gag before blastoff--the "remove before flight" tag hanging off Rex was priceless. It was like the Star Wars version of Jungle Cruise.

I enjoy the new version, too, but I do agree the original fit DL's tomorrowland a bit more smoothly.

Californian Elitist

I didn't even mention Star Wars Land, but okay.

In the original ride, we didn't run into Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Yoda, etc. In my opinion, the newer version is more related to Star Wars than the original was. It's not just the ride itself, it's the queue, too.

A stand-alone Star Wars ride, with characters from the film, is unfitting for Tomorrowland. The original didn't fit the land either, but it wasn't as obvious as the new version is, in my opinion.

Donaldfan1934

Okay, I think I know what raven24's getting at, because I preferred the original version too. I don't think it was any less blatantly "Star Wars" (especially since it climaxed with the famous trench run), but there was much greater emphasis on the idea that Star Tours was an intergalactic travel agency, Rex and the maintenance droids were new characters, and the launch station and ice-steroid were created for the ride. Also, the first room of the queue--even with Admiral Akbar, 3PO and R2 present--felt very Tomorrowland-y. The main reason I like the original better, though, was the awesome backstory that unfolded as you went through the queue: Everything looked shiny and welcoming at first, but the farther you went in, the seedier and creepier it got as you realized Star Tours was actually a very poorly-run business, some of its tours never returned, and even the employees didn't trust the starspeeders. The final gag before blastoff--the "remove before flight" tag hanging off Rex was priceless. It was like the Star Wars version of Jungle Cruise.

I enjoy the new version, too, but I do agree the original fit DL's tomorrowland a bit more smoothly.
I think I get where @raven24 is coming from too, but I see a few flaws in your argument. There's a just as strong, if not stronger emphasis, on it being a travel agency. Note the passengers shadows in the window and the G2 maintenance droids now performing actions that have a direct connection to real world airport procedures. There are also new characters including spokesdroid Aly-San-San and the somewhat Rex like droid who's the intended pilot. Also, the first room in the queue is pretty much the same only way shinier and newer. The seedier aspects of the original ride have nothing to do with whether or not its a good fit for Tomorrowland and are just your personal preference as you said. In fact, the ride taking place in a more prosperous time for the spaceliner actually makes more sense in a land that's supposed to be prosperous, optimistic, and forward thinking. Again, I can understand the argument, I just think that it falls apart under close examination.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I didn't even mention Star Wars Land, but okay.

In the original ride, we didn't run into Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Yoda, etc. In my opinion, the newer version is more related to Star Wars than the original was. It's not just the ride itself, it's the queue, too.

A stand-alone Star Wars ride, with characters from the film, is unfitting for Tomorrowland. The original didn't fit the land either, but it wasn't as obvious as the new version is, in my opinion.
I see your point about how the ride focused on original characters rather than existing ones. But as I said in my reply to @Rich T, the spaceliner being more prosperous with a less seedy queue fits better with the utopian vision of Tomorrowland. I agree with you that the rides don't really fit the land. I only mention Star Wars Land to create juxtaposition between Star Tours imperfect but tolerable insertion into Tomorrowland and the sacrilegious addition of Star Wars land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom