Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Princess Kaylee

Yup, losing that classic charm of unthemed back stage support warehouses for a highly themed environment with two e-tickets. Well, I guess if I want to see back stage theme park warehouses I'll have to go to Knott's Scary Farm again this year.

You do understand they are taking out rides to build this land right? Star Tours is a horrible ride to begin with...

BrianLo

They outlined a plan... not much 'committed' in that besides what the market reaction is when they have to report a change in direction or intent.

Money is planned and earmarked.. but never locked until its actually spent, or unless it's someone else's money.. like grants, tied to incentives, etc.

I more so meant from the perspective that OLC still wants the expansion - meaning the delay is on the side of WDI, it will happen eventually because a partner is still willing to pony up the cash for it.

Yes they aren't 'comitted' yet, but the budgets are approved and ready to go, if WDI could ever sort itself...

Rich T

You do understand they are taking out rides to build this land right? Star Tours is a horrible ride to begin with...
We're really just losing the Big Thunder Ranch, which is a nice little diversion, but it's always been a temp place-holder. River's getting shortened a bit, but if the end result matches the concept art, I think it's a step up from seeing the parking garage from the Mark Twain.

As far as Star Tours, I personally think it's a wonderful ride. It was the first full-blown public flight-sim ride, so it also marks a big event in theme park design. I was there for the first summer, when the line went all the way down Main Street, and loved it even though I grew up with (the wonderful) Adventure Thru Inner Space. These days it makes me a bit motion-sick, but I still enjoy it.

I still think it's *weird* where they're putting Star Wars Land--And I'm sorry the horses have to commute farther to work now--but I have to admit I'm very intrigued by the scope of this project.

Princess Kaylee

We're really just losing the Big Thunder Ranch, which is a nice little diversion, but it's always been a temp place-holder. River's getting shortened a bit, but if the end result matches the concept art, I think it's a step up from seeing the parking garage from the Mark Twain.

As far as Star Tours, I personally think it's a wonderful ride. It was the first full-blown public flight-sim ride, so it also marks a big event in theme park design. I was there for the first summer, when the line went all the way down Main Street, and loved it even though I grew up with (the wonderful) Adventure Thru Inner Space. These days it makes me a bit motion-sick, but I still enjoy it.

I still think it's *weird* where they're putting Star Wars Land--And I'm sorry the horses have to commute farther to work now--but I have to admit I'm very intrigued by the scope of this project.

Wait hold on, they are getting rid of big thunder mountain? That's my favorite!

dagobert

The actual name of Star Wars Land (we all knew that's not what they'd call it) will be revealed in the second hour of this Sunday's Disneyland 60 TV special on the Wonderful World of Disney.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/19/wonderful-world-disney-disneyland-60-abc

I'm really curious about the name. Star Wars Land just sounds too generic, but on the other hand people instantly know what it is about. Hopefully it will be something better than Pandora - The World of Avatar.

Donaldfan1934

First of all I leave the ride green and motion sick. Second it's not that great it's more of a universal ride. It's a screen in a stimulator...
Understood, we all have differing opinions. I think it that it may seem like a Universal ride because they used the original ride as the blueprint for virtually all of there rides. I personally like the 2011 ride over any ride at UNI. I think that it has a better mix of practicality to it than most UNI rides with C-3PO in the cockpit a being surrounded by the ship's interior. I'm also a big Star Wars fan so I'm a bit biased. But we can't help what makes us sick though. Same thing with ToT for me.

George Lucas on a Bench

Star Tours was the first of its kind, then Universal did the OMNIMAX screen with Back to the Future and all these variations on the technology followed. Just like Star Wars (along with Jaws) was responsible for all the crappy summer blockbusters we've endured since, Star Tours is the catalyst for all the screen-based attractions.

And the Haunted Mansion is a warehouse full of fake props and mannequins dressed as ghosts.

And it's amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom