Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

BrianLo

WDI is cutting staff and they're already unable to handle their current slate of projects. TDL and TDS expansions have been indefinitely delayed as well. Things are going great!

I know this is completely off this topic... but indefinitely delayed? OLC has already committed to spending the money. I assume you mean temporarily rather than indefinitely, unless OLC has withdrawn their intent, WDI eventually will get around to addressing it.

GiveMeTheMusic

I know this is completely off this topic... but indefinitely delayed? OLC has already committed to spending the money. I assume you mean temporarily rather than indefinitely, unless OLC has withdrawn their intent, WDI eventually will get around to addressing it.

Correct, but the delay is still indefinite for both those expansions and Marvel according to what I was told - as in no one knows when they'll be able to start working on it. It could be in three months, could be in three weeks, could be in six months.

TP2000

Correct, but the delay is still indefinite for both those expansions and Marvel according to what I was told - as in no one knows when they'll be able to start working on it. It could be in three months, could be in three weeks, could be in six months.

It's not just Disney. Every major industry around the world is battening down the hatches for a new global recession that grows closer by the week.

Did you see the latest trade stats out of China this week? Brutal, as that economy begins to collapse and no one knows how the Communists will try to control the damage and their 1 Billion citizens during and after the collapse.

Meanwhile, in free countries, central banks are out of ammo as interest rates remain near 0% and oil and commodity prices fall further. European banks in particular are in very, very dangerous waters.

I can't imagine why Disney would barrel forth with multi-Billion dollar expansions in their theme parks under this 2016 scenario.

But the Star Wars Land plans were already announced, and at least in Anaheim they have begun demolition. And they'll have to stick with the expansion because they have a legal agreement with the city to avoid taxes for 30 years if they do. WDW doesn't have that luxury.

And this Sunday on national TV they'll have Harrison Ford show more plans and details on the land. The horse is out of the stable on Star Wars Land, but I can understand why Disney is now backing away from anything else until the economy sorts itself out and/or collapses in 2016.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Shanghai will fail even harder than DLP and Hong Kong.
Maybe, it hasn't even opened yet. But it could theoretically due to Disney's often noted unfamiliarity on mainland China. Said unfamiliarity has surrounded the entire promotion of this resort after all. Hong Kong never did terrible business especially considering its small size and safely budgeted approach. It only looks bad when compared to other Magic Kingdoms and that's because of its aforementioned qualities. If it bombs harder than DLP did in the early 90's, then it could likely be the first Disney Park to ever close.

brb1006

Maybe, it hasn't even opened yet. But it could theoretically due to Disney's often noted unfamiliarity on mainland China. Said unfamiliarity has surrounded the entire promotion of this resort after all. Hong Kong never did terrible business especially considering its small size and safely budgeted approach. It only looks bad when compared to other Magic Kingdoms and that's because of its aforementioned qualities. If it bombs harder than DLP did in the early 90's, then it could likely be the first Disney Park to ever close.
That's a sad image to picture though.

Donaldfan1934

That's a sad image to picture though.
Yep, I hope it does really well even though I don't agree with a lot of decisions that they made with the project. It still sounds like it'll have some great attractions new and old. I hope that some of the new rides as well as the updates they make to the old rides make it into the U.S. parks at some point. Lets just hope that they won't make it to the U.S. parks in the same way the Mickey Mouse Revue made it to Tokyo.

VJ

I had to catch up on like 12 pages to get caught up and it's been a wild ride. I still think it's too early to judge whether or not the new Star Wars area will fit in the park though, besides the already-tired arguments "BUT IT'S STAR WARS!!! THAT'S NOT WHAT WALT WOULD HAVE WANTED!!!"

The thing is, we don't know. We won't know for a while (or at least until some concrete info is announced). So just be patient and try to have a little optimism.

Rich T

I had to catch up on like 12 pages to get caught up and it's been a wild ride. I still think it's too early to judge whether or not the new Star Wars area will fit in the park though, besides the already-tired arguments "BUT IT'S STAR WARS!!! THAT'S NOT WHAT WALT WOULD HAVE WANTED!!!"

The thing is, we don't know. We won't know for a while (or at least until some concrete info is announced). So just be patient and try to have a little optimism.
No longer a huge Star Wars fan, I was originally very bummed about the announced location for the new land, and what a huge change it would cause to the atmosphere of that side of the park.

The river concept art got me back on board. Truth, be told, the river area's already been hit with so many mood-killers over the years that I'm intrigued by the new ideas. If the final product lives up to (or at least comes close) to the art, it would be a great visual upgrade to both that side of the river and the train journey. And if the waterfalls are there to provide a sound barrier between Star Wars and Frontierland, well, that's brilliant. I'm looking forward to Star Wars Land more for the tech than the story, but I'm actually *most* looking forward to seeing that new rockwork/train trestle/waterfall area. And I must admit I'm also looking forward to being able to walk around from Critter Country to Big Thunder Trail. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member

They outlined a plan... not much 'committed' in that besides what the market reaction is when they have to report a change in direction or intent.

Money is planned and earmarked.. but never locked until its actually spent, or unless it's someone else's money.. like grants, tied to incentives, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom