Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

D

Deleted member 107043

Actually @Endor Sightseer, according to some people, it goes more like this:

Disneyland is my land. Here, age relives fond memories of a past that must strictly adhere to WED design principles circa 1965, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of a forgotten future that no one gives a sh*t about anymore. Disneyland is dedicated to my ideas, my dreams and the hard opinions that shape my inflexible point of view, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world as long as everyone agrees with me. Amen.

BrianLo

From what I know, they didn't try to hide the new lands around the Hong Kong Jugle Cruise except from the Jungle Cruise. The actual entrances to the land weren't covered up with tons of rock work and those were built just a few years ago. Toy Story Land aside, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor are the type of lands that they should be building at other Magic Kingdoms around the world. Also, Disneyland isn't Universal Studios and they shouldn't try to make it that.

Actually you don't know... The three additional lands are entered from going under the train berm, akin to Toontown. Grizzly gulch cannot be seen from adventureland - save for maybe climbing Tarzans Treehouse, but I have a feeling that view has been filled in more with tree foliage. Toy Story is also not visible from Fantasyland.

Ironically the one transition related thing people bring up is a complaint that they did a somewhat poor job of transitioning Mystic Point to Toy Story mostly due to the drop tower.

I did not mean to bring up Universal except as a point of what they are going for - they want people to enter a hidden land and say "wow". Cars land has only one of three entrances (Pacific Pier) that fully qualifies.

Figments Friend

Yeah, the era of the Worlds Fair attractions, Pirates, Haunted, Tomorrowland '67, Omnimover etc.

The BEST era for Imagineering AKA WED.

The late 70s were a pretty ripe time too for WED Enterprises.
Let us not forget about the original EPCOT Center.
What a massive undertaking that was...and the amazing Attractions and technologies that were created to make it a reality.

:)

-

Donaldfan1934

Yes! Back when they actually IMAGINED. Not anymore. It's based on a movie? Put it in! Original idea? You're fired!
Sadly, this is becoming more and more true with each project. While there have been a number original ideas in the Iger era so far, this strategy makes it clear that Iger sees the parks as highly themed Toys "R" Us's.

yookeroo

Actually @Endor Sightseer, according to some people, it goes more like this:

Disneyland is my land. Here, age relives fond memories of a past that must strictly adhere to WED design principles circa 1965, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of a forgotten future that no one gives a sh*t about anymore. Disneyland is dedicated to my ideas, my dreams and the hard opinions that shape my inflexible point of view, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world as long as everyone agrees with me. Amen.

The "Amen" was a nice touch. And accurate.

Donaldfan1934

Actually you don't know... The three additional lands are entered from going under the train berm, akin to Toontown. Grizzly gulch cannot be seen from adventureland - save for maybe climbing Tarzans Treehouse, but I have a feeling that view has been filled in more with tree foliage. Toy Story is also not visible from Fantasyland.

Ironically the one transition related thing people bring up is a complaint that they did a somewhat poor job of transitioning Mystic Point to Toy Story mostly due to the drop tower.

I did not mean to bring up Universal except as a point of what they are going for - they want people to enter a hidden land and say "wow". Cars land has only one of three entrances (Pacific Pier) that fully qualifies.
I said that they couldn't be seen from most of Adventureland. I know that they're behind the train track. But like you said, the transition is like Toontown, which is very unlike what the Star Wars Land transition looks like. That Toy Story land transition complaint is yet another reason for imagineers not to build franchise lands in Magic Kingdoms.

FigmentForver96

The late 70s were a pretty ripe time too for WED Enterprises.
Let us not forget about the original EPCOT Center.
What a massive undertaking that was...and the amazing Attractions and technologies that were created to make it a reality.

:)

-
Right, besides there has been plenty of stuff later on that were great. Epcot Center as a whole...period. The ultimate pinnacle of Disney creativity and magic. Of course we also had MGM Studios, it may have been a small theme park, and it obviously is in bad shape now, but the idea was cool. Animal Kingdom, minus Hester and Chester, is beautiful. By far the most detailed on any park stateside. Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain, Sorian, EE.....

George Lucas on a Bench

In my old age, I kinda have mixed feelings about EPCOT Center, but I feel so dirty! While EPCOT is (was) phenomenal, as Stacy would say, it really feels like we were gypped by the whole WDW resort since it was supposed to be a futuristic city contained in a climate controlled dome, not just theme park and hotels. How did some bizarre 21st Century World's Fair park emerge from that unrealized concept? Why don't we have the dome city? I gotta go shower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom