Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Donaldfan1934

Well yeah, they slapped the word "Mickey's" in front of it because it was Mickey's 60th birthday at the time and they ended up doing a mashup of Mickey's Birthday Land with the Roger Rabbit land that was in development. It's still based on a locale from the Roger Rabbit movie and the prominent attraction is Roger Rabbit with stores/sets that look like they're from the movie.

The original Harry Potter at IOA is literally one ride, some shops/restaurants, and a re-purposed kiddie coaster leftover from The Lost Continent that has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, but I don't see anyone calling them out for that. ;)

And honestly, my real point with Toontown is that it's stuck way in the back of the park behind the berm much like SWL is, out of site from everything else until you get there -- so this is nothing new for the park.
The only real element that was taken from birthday land was Mickey's house and it vastly improved on the one their. It's true that it is based on the Toontown from the movie with Car Toon Spin as the core attraction, but unlike Star Wars land, there are other elements to the land as well.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I like how we've come to some weird conclusion SWL is being hidden behind a berm due to some sort of admission of embarrassment over it not belonging in DL...

Star Wars is hiding behind the berm because that's where modern day WDI has evolved in the last 60 years. Never again would there be something as nonsensically placed as the Matterhorn. Hidden Land transitions and big reveals are the current mantra. Not destroying sight lines is something they've been doing for decades (but DL has had few and far between big new additions for decades now).

This is their Diagon Alley, also a small boutique Park in a Park feel.

It seems every argument is being covered in this thing, depending on who you ask it's way too big or not big enough with not enough room for expansion. We've moved from it destroying ROA to now being 'too hidden', didn't we want it hidden?
From what I know, they didn't try to hide the new lands around the Hong Kong Jugle Cruise except from the Jungle Cruise. The actual entrances to the land weren't covered up with tons of rock work and those were built just a few years ago. Toy Story Land aside, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor are the type of lands that they should be building at other Magic Kingdoms around the world. Also, Disneyland isn't Universal Studios and they shouldn't try to make it that.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

While it may not have the 1940's noir look, the eastern half of the land is totally based on the Toontown seen in the movie. I do agree with you though that its not a Roger Rabbit land since its based on multiple franchises. Again. its MICKEY'S Toontown, not Roger Rabbit's.

Right, and I said that. I said a Roger Rabbit Land not only needed a Toontown, but at 1940's Los Angeles as well.

Donaldfan1934

Just like Werewolves, Disney fans opinions are affected by the phase of the moon.
But the core issue that we believe is that it doesn't belong in the park. We want it to be hidden, but the fact that its hidden shows that it is a bad fit to us. We just have a lot in of reasons not to like it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I used the word "fit" in talking about Frontierland and FantasyFaire. I never said I dearly love the land transitions.

You made statements like

One of the design features of Disneyland is being able to see landmarks between lands
[...] The lands blend together in a way that just works

So in a way even Disney is telling us Star Wars land doesn't belong in Disneyland.

You lay out this design principle, call out Star Wars for NOT applying that principle.. and you say it doesn't fit.. and you paint it as BAD.

That's not putting words in your mouth... that's the narrative you've been telling. "X is good, Star Wars is not X.. so it does not fit.. and its bad"

Never did I say I thought this was a good idea or a bad idea by WDI

Except with this...
So in a way even Disney is telling us Star Wars land doesn't belong in Disneyland.

and this...

There is Disneyland and there is Star Wars land. You only need one ticket but they might as well be different parks.

Who thinks the above statements are positive statements towards the project? or even neutral as you claim?

You lay out a postulation, supported it with flimsy examples, and paint Star Wars in a negative light because it doesn't follow the same model which you try to define as the standard way Disneyland is meant to be.

D

Deleted member 107043

We want it to be hidden, but the fact that its hidden shows that it is a bad fit to us.

No, you are simply grasping at any nit you can pick based on internet rumors because of your bias against SW Land. You are so entrenched in your inflexible view of what YOU think Disneyland is supposed to be that there's no room for any other interpretation or point of view except yours and anyone who agrees with it.

The art of Disneyland is not some sacred thing where only an annointed few internet fans are granted the last word on what constitutes "Disney". Stop telling the rest of us what Disneyland is and what it's supposed to be. Whether you like it or not Star Wars has a permanent place in the Disney universe, and therefore has a legitimate place as a full fledged land in Disneyland. Keep digging your heels in the ground if you want, but there's nothing you can do to stop it from going forward.

Phroobar

But the core issue that we believe is that it doesn't belong in the park. We want it to be hidden, but the fact that its hidden shows that it is a bad fit to us. We just have a lot in of reasons not to like it.

Star Wars is the new Pixar when it comes to a debate whether it should be in the parks or not You all hated Pixar in the parks and now it's Star Wars. Never mind the fact that Star Wars has been there for half of Disneyland's existence. That's longer than you have been alive. I remember going on Star Tours on opening day and getting that cool digital watch. It was universally loved and no one complained it didn't belong in Tomorrowland in fact it was the opposite. Star Tours was the thing the park needed to stay relevant. Boycott the new land if you want. All that means is I get on the new rides about thirty seconds earlier.

yookeroo

Also, some people just flat out hate Star Wars. It's not for everyone, and I can understand them not being excited or happy about a huge part of the park being devoted to a franchise they detest. I think some people however, try and deny it's a personal taste for them and try to use excuses like "it's 14 acres devoted to WAR" or "it's just not happy enough for DL" or "Dumbo is dreams, but Star Wars isn't." Seems silly.

The best one is that Walt intended the Matterhorn to be seen from Frontierland and keeping the new land hidden breaks that tradition. Some of you need to take a step back and read your arguments. If this is a different approach, it's a better approach. Those seamless transitions only seem that way because that's what you grew up with.

Yes, because Disneyland Park has been exempt from most other un-Walt like decision making. The less Walt like aspects that you have in your park, the less Disneyland you have in that park. If Disney continues to remove the ever changing yet traditionaly Disney aspects of that and other Magic Kingdom parks, then they can go you know what themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Any time I read "Walt" in threads like this, I mentally change it our for "I" or "me". People just trot out Walt's corpse to try to justify their own tastes. And 6 decades on, that corpse is pretty raggedy.

D

Deleted member 107043

Any time I read "Walt" in threads like this, I mentally change it our for "I" or "me". People just trot out Walt's corpse to try to justify their own tastes. And 6 decades on, that corpse is pretty raggedy.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1207-1370352527-2.gif

George Lucas on a Bench

No, you are simply grasping at any nit you can pick based on internet rumors because of your bias against SW Land. You are so entrenched in your inflexible view of what YOU think Disneyland is supposed to be that there's no room for any other interpretation or point of view except yours and anyone who agrees with it.

Well, Disneyland is our land.

George Lucas on a Bench

Disneyland is Chewbacca's land. Here, age relives fond memories of the original trilogy and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the sequel trilogy and spinoffs. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideas, the dreams and the hard facts that have created Star Wars, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all Jedi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom