Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Seriously? The entire aesthetic of Toontown is based on Roger Rabbit with some elements of Mickey's Birthdayland from WDW wedged in. Other than the RR ride front and center, it's a few meet and greets, a playground, and a basic 30 sec kiddie coaster all tucked away in the back.

Right, the land just doesn't scream Roger Rabbit. Cars Land screams out Cars and Star Wars Land will scream Star Wars, but Toontown is different. It needs more to be considered an all out Roger Rabbit land, for me at least.

D

Deleted member 107043

No one can deny that SW Land is going to be a game changer in pretty much every way possible, so I get what people are trying to say about the difference in the design approach. In my mind Disney should be taking varying approaches to design and Walt Disney and the Imagineers at WED in 1954 shouldn't be the last word in theme park design, even for "Walt's park". Whether SW Land is going to be "hidden" because they want to prevent visual intrusions from other areas of the park or vice versa is up for debate. Like most contentious online fan debates about change at Disneyland the worry over the layout and integration of SW Land is probably being grossly exaggerated. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're the one who mentioned Matterhorn from Adventureland so you should roll eyes at yourself for bringing in an example that doesn't work.

Or at someone who can't see the forrest for the trees? Find the message, not study the words...

It is basically a Diagon Alley, hidden away. If you cannot put those pieces together then I can't help you.

So what... you've said it won't fit. The fact it will use a different approach tactic vs the gapless handoffs you so dearly love does not mean it 'wont fit' or won't work. It only defines it as a different approach. You know.. like how the hub is different than the land to land transitions they added later.

All I'm saying is this land will have a different approach, different look, and different feel than the other lands in Disneyland. You may think it is a good thing or a bad thing, but it will be unique to this park.

Actually you said it won't fit.. which is a conclusion, not a description of how it differs. How well they pull it off is going to depend on the execution.. not some concern over using separation or not as the 'norm' for how Disneyland is built.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point is they similar. You come to expect walking past an invisible line from Frontierland to NO Square because it happens pretty much everywhere. You begin with seeing a Fantasy castle at the end of a turn of the century Main St and it continues throughout the rest of your day. They made a certain set of rules and kept to it. Star Wars land breaks this rule and it will draw attention to itself. You may think that's great or you may not but it will be different.

This sums it up... its DIFFERENT and so to you its BROKE. Like you admit to above.. its what you 'come to expect'. You've painted yourself into this 'this is how its done' mold and won't break free from it. That is your shortcoming.. not Disney's. Lack of flexibility like that would have blocked many great changes to the parks over the years. If all you do is copy your past.. you never move forward.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think referring to Toontown as "Roger Rabbit Land" is far-fetched. The only blatant reference to Roger Rabbit is Car Toon Spin and the title of the land.

The whole front half is in that look/feel. Then it transitions to more the Disney toons of the 90s for the M&G and back quarter.

Travel Junkie

Or at someone who can't see the forrest for the trees? Find the message, not study the words...

So what... you've said it won't fit. The fact it will use a different approach tactic vs the gapless handoffs you so dearly love does not mean it 'wont fit' or won't work. It only defines it as a different approach. You know.. like how the hub is different than the land to land transitions they added later.

Actually you said it won't fit.. which is a conclusion, not a description of how it differs. How well they pull it off is going to depend on the execution.. not some concern over using separation or not as the 'norm' for how Disneyland is built.

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I used the word "fit" in talking about Frontierland and FantasyFaire. I never said I dearly love the land transitions.

I give you points for hurling insults in a way that won't get deleted. The amusing thing is my original post was pointing out that this will be a vast departure from how the other lands were designed and built. Then I wondered aloud if this was partly because some at WDI felt Star Wars land was best separated from the rest of the park physically and stylistically. Never did I say I thought this was a good idea or a bad idea by WDI. Actually if they had to put it in Disneyland this is the best case scenario. As someone who has seen plenty of your posts, it may be beneficial for you to actually try and understand what people are writing instead of trying to prove you are smarter than everyone else and trying to always be "right."

Please stop putting words in my mouth and the insults will get you know where other than cloud the discussion.

Donaldfan1934

A Save Disney campaign would go absolutely no where considering the stock price of the company. You may have had a slight chance if TFA had bombed at the theater. On Wall Street, Iger is a hero and you can expect a lot more to come and there isn't anything you can do about it short of being a high up executive over the parks. You can boycott all you want but that will not change the fact that Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours have the longest wait lines since they opened.
You're right, it would've been hard to pull off. The core reason it worked with Eisner was because his failures were clear and present in how they were bombs. Although you never know when Iger will star doing the same. I made it clear that I'm not boycotting yet, but I will if they make Hyperspace Mountain anything more than a seasonal overlay. I assume that its fun as just that, but making it that permanently would be completely blasphemous. Nothing wrong with Star Tours, but in a park like Disneyland, Star Wars should be limited to Tomorrowland with only the ride, jedi training, and meet and greets as far as permanent fixtures go.

Donaldfan1934

Seriously? The entire aesthetic of Toontown is based on Roger Rabbit with some elements of Mickey's Birthdayland from WDW wedged in. Other than the RR ride front and center, it's a few meet and greets, a playground, and a basic 30 sec kiddie coaster all tucked away in the back.
True, but it focuses on the classic Disney short characters as well. It is called MICKEY'S Toontown after all. Kiddie coaster and playground aside, I think that most of Toontown has great interactive theming that can be fun for everyone.

Phroobar

I'm ready for Hyperspace Mountain to disappear. I like it. I just want Space Mountain back with all it's projections turned on like back when it was newly referbed in 2005.

Curious Constance

You're right, it would've been hard to pull off. The core reason it worked with Eisner was because his failures were clear and present in how they were bombs. Although you never know when Iger will star doing the same. I made it clear that I'm not boycotting yet, but I will if they make Hyperspace Mountain anything more than a seasonal overlay. I assume that its fun as just that, but making it that permanently would be completely blasphemous. Nothing wrong with Star Tours, but in a park like Disneyland, Star Wars should be limited to Tomorrowland with only the ride, jedi training, and meet and greets as far as permanent fixtures go.
I have a feeling the overlay will be around for awhile. Not permanently, but for a long while. I don't see them closing the Launch Bay until the actual Star Wars land opens, and with how popular the overlay has been, they have no immediate incentive to remove it.

Donaldfan1934

No one can deny that SW Land is going to be a game changer in pretty much every way possible, so I get what people are trying to say about the difference in the design approach. In my mind Disney should be taking varying approaches to design and Walt Disney and the Imagineers at WED in 1954 shouldn't be the last word in theme park design, even for "Walt's park". Whether SW Land is going to be "hidden" because they want to prevent visual intrusions from other areas of the park or vice versa is up for debate. Like most contentious online fan debates about change at Disneyland the worry over the layout and integration of SW Land is probably being grossly exaggerated. We'll just have to wait and see though.
Listen to yourself here. They have to try and keep the land completely "hidden" from the rest of the park possibly because it's such a game changer. They didn't have to pull the hide and seek BS for any of the other lands, so why should they start here? The 8 lands that currently exist flow naturally despite their different themes. That's how they work in all the Magic Kingdoms around the world. Sure, they try to keep you immersed in the land that you're currently in by having certain sitelines and subtle transitions, but none of that is to the extreme extents that they have to do to hide this 14 acre mammoth. Whilr the integration is subjective, how do you know that the size is being exaggerated? This hiding situation is a clear example of imagineers trying to work with what they have to do. If this land sets the precedent for the park going forward than what's next? They shouldn't dare think about taking the park into a different design approach going forward because then you lose what makes Disneyland, Disneyland. If they can get away with changing the design approach here, then who says that it won't happen again in Florida or any of the other Magic Kingdoms around the world. If you lose the core design approaches that are principle in the Magic Kingoms, then you loose not only the heart of the resorts, but the heart of the company. Other design approaches are great for different parks because they're different parks with different rules. However, the Magic Kingoms should be treated with the most traditionalist ideals for every major addition because the design approach that they currently have is what makes them, in my honest opinion, the greatest theme park concept of all time AND the heart of what Disney has meant to people all of these years.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I have a feeling the overlay will be around for awhile. Not permanently, but for a long while. I don't see them closing the Launch Bay until the actual Star Wars land opens, and with how popular the overlay has been, they have no immediate incentive to remove it.
yeah, it would be irrational to keep keep it that way forever and I honestly don't think that they will. But hey, this is a Disney that clings on to temporary overlays if profitable (Frozen Sing Along on both coasts), so we have to just keep our fingers crossed that it'll be back to normal by the time Star Wars land opens.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I would also like to see all star tours scenes random again. I'm tired of ending up in Corescaunt every time. I want to see Leia / Yoda / Ackbar again.
That's another thing that they screwed up. The ride on both coasts is set strictly to the Episode VII scenes. It's fine if they have you fly over Jakku, but keep it random and keep the characters from the movie out of it. According to the rides timeline (in which most chronological errors up until this point were minor enough to either reason or overlook), Finn and BB-8 were YEARS away from even being born/built.

Donaldfan1934

You don't seem to understand how a multi billion dollar global media corporation works. The "suits" always win.
I obviously know that execs have final say on everything, but what i meant to say was that sometimes the executives don't interfere with how a product is done. While I have complained about Iger a lot on this thread, something that he did right was leave most of the movie divisions primarily in the hands of creatives with minimal executive interference with the exception of underperformance situations. Unfortunately, instances where interference has happened have not turned out well. It may not be perfect, but at least its a far more creatively freeing studio than it was in the latter half of the Eisner years

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I think referring to Toontown as "Roger Rabbit Land" is far-fetched. The only blatant reference to Roger Rabbit is Car Toon Spin and the title of the land.
While it may not have the 1940's noir look, the eastern half of the land is totally based on the Toontown seen in the movie. I do agree with you though that its not a Roger Rabbit land since its based on multiple franchises. Again. its MICKEY'S Toontown, not Roger Rabbit's.

dweezil78

True, but it focuses on the classic Disney short characters as well. It is called MICKEY'S Toontown after all. Kiddie coaster and playground aside, I think that most of Toontown has great interactive theming that can be fun for everyone.

Well yeah, they slapped the word "Mickey's" in front of it because it was Mickey's 60th birthday at the time and they ended up doing a mashup of Mickey's Birthday Land with the Roger Rabbit land that was in development. It's still based on a locale from the Roger Rabbit movie and the prominent attraction is Roger Rabbit with stores/sets that look like they're from the movie.

The original Harry Potter at IOA is literally one ride, some shops/restaurants, and a re-purposed kiddie coaster leftover from The Lost Continent that has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, but I don't see anyone calling them out for that. ;)

And honestly, my real point with Toontown is that it's stuck way in the back of the park behind the berm much like SWL is, out of site from everything else until you get there -- so this is nothing new for the park.

BrianLo

I like how we've come to some weird conclusion SWL is being hidden behind a berm due to some sort of admission of embarrassment over it not belonging in DL...

Star Wars is hiding behind the berm because that's where modern day WDI has evolved in the last 60 years. Never again would there be something as nonsensically placed as the Matterhorn. Hidden Land transitions and big reveals are the current mantra. Not destroying sight lines is something they've been doing for decades (but DL has had few and far between big new additions for decades now).

This is their Diagon Alley, also a small boutique Park in a Park feel.

It seems every argument is being covered in this thing, depending on who you ask it's way too big or not big enough with not enough room for expansion. We've moved from it destroying ROA to now being 'too hidden', didn't we want it hidden?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom