Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

Princess Leia

Didn't the skywalker force line begin with Anakin's virgin birth? Or was that a living planet that got his mom pregnant?
Maybe Rey is just another spontaneous force adept.
Honestly, when I was a kid, I thought Anakin’s dad left Shmi when she was pregnant, and Shmi just didn’t want to tell QuiGon about him. It wasn’t until I read online years later that Anakin was a virgin birth that I remotely believed that idea. Personally, I like to stick with my original theory instead.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
^ Next time please read my statements in full before you reply.

#%^. No...you did that clever subtle type thing where you painted all the dissenters as malcontent fanboys in cosplay...
...Then at the last minute said "but not you" and made a philosophical stance to kick it out sideways.

I saw that cause I done read da whole gawsh dern thing...but passed Gonwhen I saw that nugget (may have done that in the past myself)

That's like me saying "boy I really hate my sisters in law...but not you"
...I have 2 for the record.

I was also asking if anyone thought that's where I was coming from (not just to you)?... because I'm nothing like that. I'm a classic fan who likes the emotional construct and narrative of the orginal story...it wasnt broke and didn't need fixing with either cgi nonsense or spins on what it originally did perfectly in the first place.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly, when I was a kid, I thought Anakin’s dad left Shmi when she was pregnant, and Shmi just didn’t want to tell QuiGon about him. It wasn’t until I read online years later that Anakin was a virgin birth that I remotely believed that idea. Personally, I like to stick with my original theory instead.

It's a better story than that flaming bag of poo george took 16 years to think up...

spacemt354

Chili's
#%^. No...you did that clever subtle type thing where you painted all the dissenters as malcontent fanboys in cosplay...
...Then at the last minute said "but not you" and made a philosophical stance to kick it out sideways.

I saw that cause I done read da whole gawsh dern thing...but passed Gonwhen I saw that nugget (may have done that in the past myself)

That's like me saying "boy I really hate my sisters in law...but not you"
...I have 2 for the record.

I was also asking if anyone thought that's where I was coming from (not just to you)?... because I'm nothing like that. I'm a classic fan who likes the emotional construct and narrative of the orginal story...it wasnt broke and didn't need fixing with either cgi nonsense or spins on what it originally did perfectly in the first place.
Actually that's not what I said at all. You derived those false conclusions yourself

With a fan community so large, there will always be differences of what we want to see in a Star Wars movie, so every fan will never be satisfied at the same time with any future installment to the franchise. I also said the fan community is irrational in what they want out of these films...am I not included in said fan community?

I've fallen into those traps of hypocrisy myself with this franchise...wanting what I knew growing up, but also wanting new things...very tough for a studio to meet all of my requests. Sometimes, it's either/or.

You clearly wanted something that this film did not provide for you...others however, like myself, loved it and it gave them what they wanted. Never once did I claim you were some crazy cosplay fanboy, just an unsatisfied fan. Perhaps if you got what you wanted...others might not have liked the film. Hence my point of a never-ending cycle of an unsatisfied segment of the Star Wars fan community due to its vast size and variety.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually that's not what I said at all. You derived those false conclusions yourself

With a fan community so large, there will always be differences of what we want to see in a Star Wars movie, so every fan will never be satisfied at the same time with any future installment to the franchise. I also said the fan community is irrational in what they want out of these films...am I not included in said fan community?

I've fallen into those traps of hypocrisy myself with this franchise...wanting what I knew growing up, but also wanting new things...very tough for a studio to meet all of my requests. Sometimes, it's either/or.

You clearly wanted something that this film did not provide for you...others however, like myself, loved it and it gave them what they wanted. Never once did I claim you were some crazy cosplay fanboy, just an unsatisfied fan. Perhaps if you got what you wanted...others might not have liked the film. Hence my point of a never-ending cycle of an unsatisfied segment of the Star Wars fan community due to its vast size and variety.

Rogue one did "ok" with some rough edges...

The "episodes" have not come close.

While the second one was better in some ways...it had some generally cringe moments and I don't believe it to hold up any better than TFA did after first viewing. If my 9 years old said "that was dumb" after it was over and I held my tongue (didn't want him to be disappointed...and I actually believed the reviews prior)...then that doesn't bode well.

Star wars will be marginalized in the long run if they don't move away from this pattern of treating the audience like idiots...and that's not good for any fans...or disney for that matter.

Admit it...how many times have you been able to watch the force awakens out of the theater?
...it's like avatar.

And I wasn't thinking this at first...but isn't this basically empire rehashed with one scene from jedi mixed in and an ending that just set the dials do zero again? Kinda...sorta...mostly

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I wasn't thinking this at first...but isn't this basically empire rehashed with one scene from jedi mixed in and an ending that just set the dials do zero again? Kinda...sorta...mostly

Felt like empire to me because I struggled to stay awake in the 2nd quarter of the film... and the whole 'leaving you hanging' without satisfaction ending. Now trade Lando's betrayal for DJ... etc..

It did however at least not feel like a total rehash like TFA did. Just had some vibes from earlier experiences :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Felt like empire to me because I struggled to stay awake in the 2nd quarter of the film... and the whole 'leaving you hanging' without satisfaction ending. Now trade Lando's betrayal for DJ... etc..

It did however at least not feel like a total rehash like TFA did. Just had some vibes from earlier experiences :)

It's not like it featured the heroes out numbered and on the run...

...or jedi training with a reluctant teacher and an emotionally unhinged student that is bent on wrecklessness

And the student didn't defy the master and leave early to go all half cocked and try to confront the villain...with some ROJ action sprinkled in...

At least snoke didn't say he was admiral akbar's father or anything...cause they died like chumps before he could...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, for the first weekend:

Domestic: $220.0 million
Other: $230.8 million

Total: $450.8 million

But... look at the fact that international markets have hardly even begun (or to report) box office...

upload_2017-12-18_23-22-27.png

BrianLo

I still don't know why the hell the winners of the civil war are destitute and broken and why the successors to the losers are well equipped...

Just because David smashed Goliath's big toy in a surprise attack does not mean the winner is suddenly the giant.

It's obvious from TFA that the First Order's resources were obscene in comparison. Did the resistance have a floating attack planet I was unaware of? Unlike the Death Star they had a nice period of warning to evacuate a lot of their resources too, assuming that was all of them, which it wasn't. The First order were clearly still left with whatever resources Snoke was overseeing distantly as well as a lot of their Star Destroyers, which were not physically parked on Death Star 3.0.

This is one of the biggest things I think he does really well and oddly something I hear people criticize. The resource tracking strikes me as accurate. After watching a movie full of Poe blowing 3/4 of their fleet, their frigates being dropped off one by one and what struck me as potentially too long of a period of time as they were slowly picking off transporter after transporter - I buy that all of the resistance remaining fit into the Millennium Falcon.

A less worthy director would have them fly off victorious in a massive fleet. The resistance was small beans from the start.

Edit: I also liked that there were no mystery unaccounted resources to save the day for the resistance. The call more seemed to be an SOS for potential sympathy.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just because David smashed Goliath's big toy in a surprise attack does not mean the winner is suddenly the giant.

It's obvious from TFA that the First Order's resources were obscene in comparison. Did the resistance have a floating attack planet I was unaware of? Unlike the Death Star they had a nice period of warning to evacuate a lot of their resources too, assuming that was all of them, which it wasn't. The First order were clearly still left with whatever resources Snoke was overseeing distantly as well as a lot of their Star Destroyers, which were not physically parked on Death Star 3.0.

This is one of the biggest things I think he does really well and oddly something I hear people criticize. The resource tracking strikes me as accurate. After watching a movie full of Poe blowing 3/4 of their fleet, their frigates being dropped off one by one and what struck me as potentially too long of a period of time as they were slowly picking off transporter after transporter - I buy that all of the resistance remaining fit into the Millennium Falcon.

A less worthy director would have them fly off victorious in a massive fleet. The resistance was small beans from the start.

Edit: I also liked that there were no mystery unaccounted resources to save the day for the resistance. The call more seemed to be an SOS for potential sympathy.

I'm
Not disputing any of your points...

But my question is the entire resistance/first order premise.

Why would anyone who fought an evil, tyrannical wizard who not only took down a galactic wide governement...but built the exact same one with complete oppression on top of it...ever demilitarize and shut down?

It makes no damn sense. The "David and Goliath" move was IV...did you not see a fleet and a ton of metal in VI?

And I know there's books (the movie going audience should not be required to read them...stupid plan) that discuss Aftermath...but even in the old kicked out EU and the new official stuff, the war did not end at Death Star 2.

The human "parallel" would be between the world wars...but it doesn't fit. The British and French did not go pacifist...they had poor leadership...it's not accurate enough for a movie franchise to be understood.

Not to tangent ;)

Last edited:

tk924

But if it's not about the Skywalkers, why is it part of the saga films? The saga films are about the Skywalkers, that's their tying link. Without any of the main cast being a Skywalker, then it just becomes a spin off film.

Yes. Episode 7 and beyond should have been titled "Rey: A Star Wars story".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel the same way.

So far, Rogue One is the best of the Disney SW films. By far.

I kinda gave a mulligan to 7 as a reboot (though it never needed it)...pending this...

Now I can honestly say there's a compelling argument for more consistency in the prequels...

I hate the fact that I have to accept freshman mistakes in the narrative and the editing process...
Why isn't there a team of talent to guard the door to the store?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom