Star Wars: The Acolyte

Ghost93

I personally like the Acolyte because of how different it feels from other Star Wars projects. Feels like a breath of fresh air and I've enjoyed it more than the Mandalorian season 3, Book of Boba Fett, Obi Wan and Ahsoka.

But I can also understand why many fans feel it's simply "not Star Wars." Am baffled by the extreme hatred thrown toward the show. Unlike The Last Jedi (which I liked) or Rise of Skywalker (which I HATED), The Acolyte can be easily ignored if it's not your cup of tea.

erasure fan1

But I can also understand why many fans feel it's simply "not Star Wars." Am baffled by the extreme hatred thrown toward the show.
To be fair, I don't hate it. There are ideas in it that could make for a compelling story. But there's far to many amateurish problems with the show in my opinion. From storytelling, pacing, structure to questionable acting and dialogue it's been very inconsistent. And, so far, it hasn't given us any holy crap moments to off set the questionable.

Ghost93

…you do realize all those are bad, right?
I do, which is why I'm surprised the Acolyte is so uniquely despised when I think it's better than a lot of the crap we've recently gotten.

Although I don't think Ahsoka was "bad" as much as I think it was a huge mistake to make it a live-action show and so heavily relied upon the viewer having knowledge of Dave Filoni's animated shows. In order for Ahsoka to emotionally resonate you need to have seen all seven seasons of the Clone Wars and all four seasons of Star Wars Rebels. That's way too much homework for the average person. Had Ahsoka been animated, I think more people would have understood it as a direct continuation of those two shows. But it doesn't work as a standalone project.

Ghost93

I think that is the Acolyte’s core issue. I said a week or so ago after watching the first two episodes that it looks (sorta) like SW but very much is acted and has dialogue straight out of Star Trek.

I’m not a huge ST fan but it was noticeable.
You know what the set design of the Acolyte actually reminds me of? The Black Hole — that failed attempt by Disney in the late-70s to cash in on the Star Wars craze with their own sci fi movie. There's a very retro feel to the aesthetic of the Acolyte, although I can't tell whether it was intentional or a complete accident.

Star Wars as a brand is in a tough spot. If it feels too similar to the original trilogy it's an unimaginative, boring rehash like "The Force Awakens" or "The Rise of Skywalker." If it veers too far away from the classic Star Wars feel, fans feel it's "not Star Wars."

There's a happy medium in there somewhere, but it seems like it's a tough code to crack.

Serpico Jones

I personally like the Acolyte because of how different it feels from other Star Wars projects. Feels like a breath of fresh air and I've enjoyed it more than the Mandalorian season 3, Book of Boba Fett, Obi Wan and Ahsoka.

But I can also understand why many fans feel it's simply "not Star Wars." Am baffled by the extreme hatred thrown toward the show. Unlike The Last Jedi (which I liked) or Rise of Skywalker (which I HATED), The Acolyte can be easily ignored if it's not your cup of tea.
I enjoyed the first two episodes and was excited about the show. These last two episodes were just awful.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do, which is why I'm surprised the Acolyte is so uniquely despised when I think it's better than a lot of the crap we've recently gotten.

Although I don't think Ahsoka was "bad" as much as I think it was a huge mistake to make it a live-action show and so heavily relied upon the viewer having knowledge of Dave Filoni's animated shows. In order for Ahsoka to emotionally resonate you need to have seen all seven seasons of the Clone Wars and all four seasons of Star Wars Rebels. That's way too much homework for the average person. Had Ahsoka been animated, I think more people would have understood it as a direct continuation of those two shows. But it doesn't work as a standalone project.
The acolyte has to go somewhere and fast…or me and the 4 other guys that do all the negative Star Wars hate reviews are gonna be proven right

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars as a brand is in a tough spot. If it feels too similar to the original trilogy it's an unimaginative, boring rehash like "The Force Awakens" or "The Rise of Skywalker." If it veers too far away from the classic Star Wars feel, fans feel it's "not Star Wars."

Wait a minute…that’s is NOT what happened

I think you read too many “expert” reviews of 25 year old podcasters on those movies

There's a happy medium in there somewhere, but it seems like it's a tough code to crack.
I don’t think there is…not until someone is gonna try to capture the look and feel of the OT without whizz bang undeveloped stuff (like randomly nuking the republic and with it…the ENTIRE backstory without exposition 10 minutes into a movie…brilliant JJ 🙄) meant for people with attention span of a fruit fly…

mysto

All they have to do is shoot the new series on 70mm film and they will recreate some of the look of the OT. Seriously I remember the film grain in the desert shots at the theater, and when re-watching I always have a 'yeah we're back' when I see that. Good to hear there is some retro-sensibility in the new series.

Willmark

You know what the set design of the Acolyte actually reminds me of? The Black Hole — that failed attempt by Disney in the late-70s to cash in on the Star Wars craze with their own sci fi movie. There's a very retro feel to the aesthetic of the Acolyte, although I can't tell whether it was intentional or a complete accident.

For the first? I remember the movie being out, don’t recall seeing it.

As to the later? Respectfully, no it’s not a tough code to crack. It’s SW this isn’t hard. Disney is not giving the majority of the fans what they want (watch the usual suspects show up with “you don’t speak for all fans” to preempt: you’re right I don’t that’s why I didn’t say all)

People want to be uplifted, cheer for heroes and see something grand, bigger than themselves. Not some moral chastisement on why they are what’s wrong.

Disney needs to decide just which faction of fans they are going after. Because that won’t get all of them anymore. That ship sailed with TLJ. So that leaves retroconning the ST which they will never do (can’t admit it was a bad move after all) and instead continuing on the path they are on and all the while wondering why they are not being successful at it. Add to this I remain unconvinced that especially the younger end of Gen Z is even interested in SW. If that turns to be true, the Mouse has an even bigger issue on their hands.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All they have to do is shoot the new series on 70mm film and they will recreate some of the look of the OT. Seriously I remember the film grain in the desert shots at the theater, and when re-watching I always have a 'yeah we're back' when I see that. Good to hear there is some retro-sensibility in the new series.
I don’t think there’s a theater left that can run celluloid 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the first? I remember the movie being out, don’t recall seeing it.

As to the later? Respectfully, no it’s not a tough code to crack. It’s SW this isn’t hard. Disney is not giving the majority of the fans what they want (watch the usual suspects show up with “you don’t speak for all fans” to preempt: you’re right I don’t that’s why I didn’t say all)

People want to be uplifted, cheer for heroes and see something grand, bigger than themselves. Not some moral chastisement on why they are what’s wrong.

Disney needs to decide just which faction of fans they are going after. Because that won’t get all of them anymore. That ship sailed with TLJ. So that leaves retroconning the ST which they will never do (can’t admit it was a bad move after all) and instead continuing on the path they are on and all the while wondering why they are not being succulent at it. Add to this I remain unconvinced that especially the younger end of Gen Z is even interested in SW. If that turns to be true, the Mouse has an even bigger issue on their hands.

That “segment” of the fans is also what drove the profit engine…and still could…

Because it’s the group that “lives” it…they don’t just watch it and move on

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That “segment” of the fans is also what drove the profit engine…and still could…

Because it’s the group that “lives” it…they don’t just watch it and move on

That's the hubris of the Disney management in all things Star Wars. Lookie it's got an official Star Wars trademark , why aren't you buying them ... we might have gutted everything that drew you initially to the products, but it's so much better with our new ideas. Just buy it, and as you learn to think correctly you'll embrace it.

The Acolyte, brought to you by the soundstage and wardrobe departments..who needs meaningful dialog?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom