Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

flynnibus

Premium Member
They closed 2 attractions that had high capacity and also provided a 20+ minute ride and both had good themed pre-shows that made waiting part of the experience.

They also closed an impressive stunt show that had hight capacity and was over 20+ long.

And of course the most tragic of all losses... the honey I shrunk the kids playground.

So that’s 4 attractions, plus a flex theatre that should have had a production in it.

What specifically are you counting? They closed the backlog tour and the stunt show (and count the playpen if you want). Don’t count GMR because its coming back in a week...

The backlot tour was high capacity... but it hasn’t been used because no one cared anymore. The stunt show was a big people sink... but in terms of “more to do” at the park it wasn’t that meaningful for most.

They closed 2 attractions, another temporarily... and in their place they’ve added three kid centric rides (something the park woefully needed), doubled the capacity of tsmm, added two massive sw attractions, and a handful of other non ride experiences in GE.

Anyway you look at it, it’s a massive net positive in the list of thing for guests to get drawn to. So my point is... if you think the list for the park is not worthy.... I sure hope you didn’t look at the park 3 years ago...

SplashJacket

Don’t count GMR because its coming back in a week...

Don't count losing the Stunt Show because it came back in December with Rise...

Don't count losing Backlot Tour because it came back in the summer with Falcon...

If a ride is replaced without any major modifications to the show building that does not make it the same. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and 20,000 Leagues are both defunct attractions.

Anyway you look at it, it’s a massive net positive in the list of thing for guests to get drawn to.

It is a massive net positive, there's no denying that.

The land used by the Backlot tour and Stunt Show were put to very good use, insanely positive net gain. I do not think anyone can actually go into Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land and say they wanted actually what was there before instead of what is there now.

As for Great Movie Ride, the reviews are mixed. A lot of people are saying Mickey is a great ride but its not a worthy replacement of GMR.

Had GMR gotten an extensive refurb and Mickey gotten a ground-up show building, there would be no complaints. The park as a whole would be extremely solid and have a substantial capacity. Don't get me wrong HS is a great park now, but it still needs more in certain areas, and definitely needs more capacity to counteract the crowds.

Saying that replacing GMR with a ride with a similar capacity does not matter is naive. If Mickey follows the typical Disney budget it probably costs $250 million. GMR would have needed at most $100 million (probably a bit much) to switch out a lot of the scenes and bump up a clearly aging ride to exceptional status.

As a guest, would you rather have a refreshed GMR one year and MMRR the next?

MMRR will always be compared to the GMR as it replaced it, there's no way to ever change that. From Disney's standpoint, they could have saved money in the future by keeping GMR and MMRR as it lessens the need for further expansion. Replacing it really doesn't make sense from the perspective of the guest or from Disney.

TrainsOfDisney

I do not think anyone can actually go into Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land and say they wanted actually what was there before instead of what is there now.

I would have preferred they keep the stunt show, backlot tour and streets of America and build rise (or similar quality attraction) next to Star Tours.

Toy story land is of course a big gain for the park, the park has always needed a family area like that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't count losing the Stunt Show because it came back in December with Rise...

Don't count losing Backlot Tour because it came back in the summer with Falcon...

Sorry, that’s a horrible analogy- GMR was replaced in place... regardless if you wanted GMR redone, or hate the Mickey ride... its being replaced in the same spot with a ride through experience for all ages and sizes... and in the context of this discussion will be open in a week.... so it’s something to do in the park.

the rest is driven by your preference about the gmr replacement and is not relevant to this discussion.

SplashJacket

the rest is driven by your preference about the gmr replacement and is not relevant to this discussion.

Removing Backlot Tour is removing capacity.

Adding Falcon is adding capacity back.

Removing Stunt Show is removing capacity

Adding Rise is adding capacity back.

Removing GMR is removing capacity.

Adding MMRR is adding capacity back.

The overall net capacity is increased as there is a lot more to do in SWL even before taking TSL and upgraded Mania into account.

My primary argument was not about my preference. It was about capacity. GMR was a perfectly good ride that did not need to be replaced, simply needed some love.

You responded to @TrainChasers who said they got rid of a lot of capacity. They did. You pointed out that in the end, they increased capacity by a lot, which is entirely true. If you read my post, I agreed with that.

What I do not agree with is GMR and MMRR cancel each other out. If they do in fact cancel each other out, why did Disney probably spend $250 million? There was no need to replace GMR. People who have ridden MMRR have cited it as a great ride, however, not a worthy replacement of GMR. One of Marni's sources whose judgment he trusts said essentially that. It is not my personal preference, I have not ridden MMRR.

In an ideal world, we could have both, but it is not just in an ideal world. It doesn't make sense from a monetary or capacity standpoint to replace the GMR. Whether we like it or not GMR is gone.

Josh Hendy

I understand why people are comparing old DHS to new DHS but personally I think it's an invalid comparison.

The real comparison is between DHS and the other parks, especially the MK which is Disney's first, original and greatest gold standard for what a theme park should be. It is not me who instituted this scale, its Disney ... when they decided that a half-day park is "good enough" and that visiting it should cost exactly the same as MK.

It's over 30 years now folks ... and Disney still shows zero sign that they're going to grow this park to be anywhere near the same value as MK in terms of number of attractions.

TrainsOfDisney

I understand why people are comparing old DHS to new DHS but personally I think it's an invalid comparison.

The real comparison is between DHS and the other parks, especially the MK which is Disney's first, original and greatest gold standard for what a theme park should be. It is not me who instituted this scale, its Disney ... when they decided that a half-day park is "good enough" and that visiting it should cost exactly the same as MK.

It's over 30 years now folks ... and Disney still shows zero sign that they're going to grow this park to be anywhere near the same value as MK in terms of number of attractions.

Yeah that’s my point mostly... is Millenium falcon better than lights motors? That’s debatable. What’s not debatable is the park didn’t grow it just changed.

Touchdown

As much as I enjoy DHS and AK, Epcot and MK still have them beat. DHS is far too top heavy at the expense of mid tier rides, while Animal Kingdom has a great mix, but the quantity just isn’t there.
Ride TypeMKEpcotDHSAK
Headliners (command at least 1 hour waits nearly always)8* (Pirates, Splash, BTMRR, HM, Pan, SDMT, Space, Tron)5*(GotG, Test Track, Soarin, Frozen, Rattitouille)7*(Rise, MF:SR, Slinky, TSMM, MMRR, RnRC, ToT)4*(FoP, NRJ, Everest,Safari)
Mid Tier Rides (Wait times usually under 1 hour and almost never 90+ minutes)8 (Jungle Cruise, Pooh, iasw, Mermaid, Dumbo, AMC, Barnstormer, Buzz)2 (SSE, M:S)2 (A SS, Star Tours)4 (Kali, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Triceratops)
Low Tier (usually under 30 min and always less then 1 hour(9 (WDRR, Main Street Vehicles, Tiki, CBJ, HoP, Philharmagic, TTA, CoP, MILF)12 (Nemo, Turtle Talk, Living with the Land, Awesome Planet, Imagination,Pixar shorts, Play Pavillion, GFT, Reflections, American Adventure, IdF/BBS-a-L, CF&W)8(BBL, Playhouse Disney, VotLM, OMD, Indy, Frozen, Muppets, Lightning)7 (Up, ITTBAB, 2 walking trails, Rafiki, FotLK, Nemo)

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The overall net capacity is increased as there is a lot more to do in SWL even before taking TSL and upgraded Mania into account.

The comments were never about 'capacity' -- they were about 'things to do'. You've moved this about weighing attractions based on their capacity -- which was not the jist of the comments.

My primary argument was not about my preference. It was about capacity. GMR was a perfectly good ride that did not need to be replaced, simply needed some love.

Your argument was about preference -- which is completely irrelevant to the topic -- which was about things to do in the park and how it stands now vs before this round of changes.

You responded to @TrainChasers who said they got rid of a lot of capacity. They did. You pointed out that in the end, they increased capacity by a lot, which is entirely true. If you read my post, I agreed with that.

No - the conversations starts here - https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance.954046/page-329#post-9085500

And followed up with the statement "They closed 2 attractions no one cared about and one is still being transformed. Point being.. besides reporting the park is BUSY now.. if they are miffed about 'limited options'... they have a damn short memory "

Notice - capacity was never part of the criteria or comparison. Trainchaser included that in his counter saying they closed 2 high capacity attractions. My point was always about number of things to do in DHS --- which has been the top 3 complaints about the park for the last decade. The part has alot more kid friendly options now, has gone from basically 2 'fast pace' rides to 4+, has NEW attractions, and alot more diversity compared to the slow show heavy focus the park had prior.

What I do not agree with is GMR and MMRR cancel each other out. If they do in fact cancel each other out, why did Disney probably spend $250 million? There was no need to replace GMR. People who have ridden MMRR have cited it as a great ride, however, not a worthy replacement of GMR. One of Marni's sources whose judgment he trusts said essentially that. It is not my personal preference, I have not ridden MMRR.

In an ideal world, we could have both, but it is not just in an ideal world. It doesn't make sense from a monetary or capacity standpoint to replace the GMR. Whether we like it or not GMR is gone.

Again... you try to make this about GMR and if it should have been replaced or not... not applicable to this conversation.

In this conversation they do essentially cancel each other out when we are talking about 'taking away things to do in the park'. They are both sit down family accessible indoor rides.. taking place in the same spot and center focus in the park. No they ride experience is not the same, nor do we even need to get into 'what is worthy' or not... for this discussion - Disney replaced one experience with another similar one in the same spot (and presumably going to be a much bigger draw). That's all that's relevant to this conversation.

Trust me, I'm a huge GMR fan and think it should have been done differently - but that's another story for a different conversation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah that’s my point mostly... is Millenium falcon better than lights motors? That’s debatable. What’s not debatable is the park didn’t grow it just changed.
What was pointed out was the MENU grew.

Capacity is great - as long as you have a need to utilize it. A big empty stadium does not win you anything for having a lot of empty seats. A studio tour capable of thousands an hour running a fraction of its capacity because of no demand... is just a waste.

The big grief from the article behind this tangent was they say to stay away from the park because the only stuff worthy of doing is too crowded. What was their opinion of a park full of stuff that no one wanted to do?

TrainsOfDisney

A big empty stadium does not win you anything for having a lot of empty seats. A studio tour capable of thousands an hour running a fraction of its capacity because of no demand... is just a waste.

I never saw many empty seats at lights motors.... did you?

I’m not sure what the numbers were for backlot but it seemed like it was still pulling in guests.

I’m not saying the park was better... but I also don’t think it’s improved that much.

ImperfectPixie

I never saw many empty seats at lights motors.... did you?

I’m not sure what the numbers were for backlot but it seemed like it was still pulling in guests.

I’m not saying the park was better... but I also don’t think it’s improved that much.
I would argue that it was better before because of the variety of experiences. Disney is about more than just rides.

gerarar

Premium Member
So apparently there's a B-mode for the cannons room/part. If the cannons themselves aren't working, probably due to some technical difficulties, the ride vehicles/transports do an alternate routine, they sway back and forth! The windows don't glow green to reflect this change, so it's nice that the imagineers thought of this occurrence.
I've attached a POV of it; the one cannon that comes first was working, but the other two were down. Hence the ride vehicles doing in a forward and backward motion instead of staying static (as the usual routine) to pass time. (linked exact timestamp)

Edit: someone actually reported this B-mode for the cannons over in the DL-thread! Really cool

Second, have you ever seen a floating lightsaber "walking" towards you?! It seems the screen with Kylo wasn't working, but the sound affects were still playing as if he still dropped down and walked towards you. Kinda creepy how the saber swings back and forth as it comes closer to you! :eek:
1583023657747.png

Video of floating lightsaber glitch (linked at exact timestamp). Kylo at the bridge was also in B-mode:

Note: Both of these things come from the DL version of the ride, and is the first occurrence I've seen in a video. Also haven't heard of these two one of kinds yet from reactions/live updates.

Last edited:

RMichael21

Hi all. We’ll be visiting DHS tomorrow. While I’ve seen researching how to most effectively get a boarding group, I was wondering about something else as well. After watching the POVs, I was hoping to get a vehicle that goes in front of the AT-AT’s, as opposed to the side. Obviously there’s no guarantees, but which colors correspond with which vehicles on both branches of interrogation rooms?

Keeping fingers crossed for a successful ride tomorrow!

solidyne

So apparently there's a B-mode for the cannons room/part. If the cannons themselves aren't working, probably due to some technical difficulties, the ride vehicles/transports do an alternate routine, they sway back and forth! The windows don't glow green to reflect this change, so it's nice that the imagineers thought of this occurrence.
I've attached a POV of it; the one cannon that comes first was working, but the other two were down. Hence the ride vehicles doing in a forward and backward motion instead of staying static (as the usual routine) to pass time. (linked exact timestamp)

Second, have you ever seen a floating lightsaber "walking" towards you?! It seems the screen with Kylo wasn't working, but the sound affects were still playing as if he still dropped down and walked towards you. Kinda creepy how the saber swings back and forth as it comes closer to you! :eek:
View attachment 452912

Video of floating lightsaber glitch (linked at exact timestamp). Kylo at the bridge was also in B-mode:

Note: Both of these things come from the DL version of the ride, and is the first occurrence I've seen in a video. Also haven't heard of these two one of kinds yet from reactions/live updates.

Like the candelabra in HM!

Giss Neric

Love the attraction overall but I do have a suggestion about the First Order cast members. I know they all rotate roles but they should have a group of officers assigned just specifically at the shuttle exit at the Star Destroyer. Some of them are really convincing but most don't. If you do not command attention from guests one you enter and speak and they just talk over you then you're not really intimidating.

gerarar

Premium Member
Love the attraction overall but I do have a suggestion about the First Order cast members. I know they all rotate roles but they should have a group of officers assigned just specifically at the shuttle exit at the Star Destroyer. Some of them are really convincing but most don't. If you do not command attention from guests one you enter and speak and they just talk over you then you're not really intimidating.
I’ve seen some videos/POVs where they just stand there and wait for the resistant scums to stop talking. Other times they wait a couple seconds then proclaim “are you done yet?” loudly. They need more of that, but I guess it depends if they’re running behind schedule or have extra time to kill in between rotations and the next arrivals of the next “shuttle”.

mccgavin

So the site that shall not be named reported with a video this morning that ride vehicles have been dispatched more closely together, resulting in show scenes not having time to reset before the ride vehicles reaches it. I'm well aware that news from this source should be taken with a rather large grain of salt, but I was curious if there's any truth to this at all. Is this an actual choice made by operations, or is this just a one time accident that's being reported as anecdotal evidence from that source?

gerarar

Premium Member
So the site that shall not be named reported with a video this morning that ride vehicles have been dispatched more closely together, resulting in show scenes not having time to reset before the ride vehicles reaches it. I'm well aware that news from this source should be taken with a rather large grain of salt, but I was curious if there's any truth to this at all. Is this an actual choice made by operations, or is this just a one time accident that's being reported as anecdotal evidence from that source?
In the particular scene, where ride vehicles go from the last Kylo to the Escape Pods, there was always a chance you'll see ride vehicles leaving. This is nothing new really.

There are a bunch of POVs online where you can catch a glimpse of them since opening.

You can even see transports leaving in the elevator in the AT-AT room if you look behind, or even through the mirror on the far wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom