Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

wdizneew

I'd take Mummy over Gringotts any day, even the Singapore version.

Gringotts was a major let down for me and I don't care if I ever ride it again.

My issue with Mummy is the story isn't very clear and the coaster just becomes another themed in the dark thrill. I really like the fake unload station in the Orlando version though. Gringotts has the story element which elevates it to the level of a themed experience. It does lose it's coaster identity a bit after the first drop scene but it succeeds in letting guests "ride the movie"

Rider

Gringotts would have been a lot better as a Spiderman ride. The coaster parts are so minimal (and completely in the dark) to not be worth the added operating headache. With the tried and true Spiderman system they would have had much less downtime and the whole thing would be much more accessible for guests who can ride the coaster.

RobWDW1971

Gringotts would have been a lot better as a Spiderman ride. The coaster parts are so minimal (and completely in the dark) to not be worth the added operating headache. With the tried and true Spiderman system they would have had much less downtime and the whole thing would be much more accessible for guests who can ride the coaster.
Gringotts was such a disappointment - the queue, build up, loading area, vehicle, start of the ride are all great and then it’s just screen to screen to screen. Have only ridden it a couple of times and wouldn’t wait very long again.

It really needed more physical sets to change it up - imagine if it went through a physical vault with all of the workers and gold, etc. Heck, even going through the bank in the queue would have been the highlight of the ride.

FJ got the blend of screens and physical just right - Gringotts was a huge step backwards.

Last edited:

Darth Snips

I think the Star Destroyer is either destroyed or damaged to the point where it can’t come to Batuu right away and it buys some time for the Resistance. Finn’s urgency before we get on to the escape pods and the line “This destroyer is about to-“ make it seem like the whole ship is in danger of collapsing.
I believe this is accurate. The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary mentions that Kylo Ren’s flagship “sustained major damage from a run-in with Resistance forces over Batuu”. It says that Kylo had to use a different ship in Episode IX, so I’m guessing we did quite a number on it!

TimeTrip

2. Over-reliance on projection mapping for the blasts and explosions. I know there are too many for them all to be practical, but a few pyro effects would go a long way, or even just bursts of theatrical fog.

3. The queue inside the Star Destroyer has a bit of a plastic look and feel to it when it should all be metal.

Agree with these. Especially the bit about plastic. It felt so lame. Everything looked like spray painted plastic, which I'm assuming it is. It really took me out of the "in a star destroyer" feeling.

I also felt that the hangar wasn't as impressive as it could have been. After the initial "wow" it became painfully obvious that the "space" portion of the hangar was just a very large screen. What looks great on a video recording because your brain makes up the 3d falls apart when seen in person. It had no depth. I felt like they could have had it set back from the hangar opening and maybe use some sort of lensing (?) To make it feel really far away.

Finally, what is up with the bridge scene? The Hux animatronic is pretty goofy looking, and why are we seeing it? Surely the transport doesn't go anywhere near the bridge. I took it as a "we're seeing a glimpse of what's happening, rather than being there" thing. But it didn't make sense in context.

rsm

Agree with these. Especially the bit about plastic. It felt so lame. Everything looked like spray painted plastic, which I'm assuming it is. It really took me out of the "in a star destroyer" feeling.

I also felt that the hangar wasn't as impressive as it could have been. After the initial "wow" it became painfully obvious that the "space" portion of the hangar was just a very large screen. What looks great on a video recording because your brain makes up the 3d falls apart when seen in person. It had no depth. I felt like they could have had it set back from the hangar opening and maybe use some sort of lensing (?) To make it feel really far away.

Finally, what is up with the bridge scene? The Hux animatronic is pretty goofy looking, and why are we seeing it? Surely the transport doesn't go anywhere near the bridge. I took it as a "we're seeing a glimpse of what's happening, rather than being there" thing. But it didn't make sense in context.

Hope this was the only attraction you’ve ever been on... you’d probably find all the others equally disastrous.

No Name

This attraction is essentially queue, preshow, vehicle, queue, preshow, vehicle. It‘s gotta be very operationally heavy. But I think it’s absolutely worth every penny.

That’s Star Wars though. No where is safe and the good guys keep escaping danger to find new danger. Apparently the entire galaxy is at war or something.

Right, but in successfully escaping their failed escape, they just end up sort of back where they started. @Tom Morrow and @999th Happy Haunt I like the explanations to an extent. It just seemed to me that the imagineers designed the ride with the idea that guests would be so enamored with the success of the first order escape that they wouldn’t really remember and consider the goal from the very beginning. Which, regardless of my feelings, they seem to have been correct about.

Tom Morrow

Got to ride today. After hearing all the hype, but avoiding spoilers, I think it's reaaaaallly good. But just short of amazing. I think its because we waited 15+ minutes between the hangar Bay and interrogation room. I feel like they need to keep that bottleneck to minimum to keep the momentum up.
They're still trying to tweak the show loads to keep the wait between the hanger bay and interrogation rooms minimal. This is further hindered by the ride not running at full capacity yet.

OSX

And uh, fly!
076F01A5-D53F-485E-A077-A472DD715CC8.jpeg
Help us out and move around a little!

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

2. Over-reliance on projection mapping for the blasts and explosions. I know there are too many for them all to be practical, but a few pyro effects would go a long way, or even just bursts of theatrical fog.

That’s all I got for my initial takeaway.

This was my biggest criticism overall, besides the fact that the Storm Troopers in the hangar bay should have a bit more animation (it feels very "Hall of Presidents in B mode").

The projection mapping for blasts and explosions is somewhat noticeable the first time, very noticeable the second time. One or two real "blast" effects, whether it be lighting with some stage fog or whatever would go a long way.

I was also very let down by the wall that gets "sucked out" and the collapsing ceiling. Was expecting the oil tanker from Universal's Earthquake to slide down when the ceiling collapsed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The projection mapping for blasts and explosions is somewhat noticeable the first time, very noticeable the second time.
That’s the problem with projection mapping explosions. By their nature, explosions are a light source. And by their nature, projections emit very little light at their termination. To have some effect of realism they need to be brighter than the ambient light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom