Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

SWGalaxysEdge

i am calling B.S. that is is from ROTR. It looks like its a screen shot only blury of when Chewie flys you in manually at the end of Smuggler's Run. It even looks like how it does in Star Tours when you visit Batuu. It could be a Star Tours screen cap. Until I see some on ride footage I am going to doubt this is from ROTR

..lol nope not BS. From a video capture of the landing. But you are allowed to believe what you choose - just remember where you saw it first after you ride it. ;-)

SWGalaxysEdge

RotR ride footage for @THE 1HAPPY HAUNT - Lemme get it off my phone to my PC - will post it later here.
Maybe this image will hold you - part of the caves of RotR

55606196_505380056655915_3550120589920305152_n.jpg

ifuhadreams

That is a question of much debate.
I remember this quote from Gizmado, “Lasers will fly through the air, somehow: One of Star Wars’ most distinctive visual cues is seeing laser beams fly across the air which, of course, isn’t actually possible. Or is it? “We wanted to bring that to the real world,” said Paul Bailey, show systems manager for Walt Disney Imagineers. “The question becomes ‘How do you do that?’ Well, without giving away how we did that...I can tell you we did do that.”

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember this quote from Gizmado, “Lasers will fly through the air, somehow: One of Star Wars’ most distinctive visual cues is seeing laser beams fly across the air which, of course, isn’t actually possible. Or is it? “We wanted to bring that to the real world,” said Paul Bailey, show systems manager for Walt Disney Imagineers. “The question becomes ‘How do you do that?’ Well, without giving away how we did that...I can tell you we did do that.”

Off the top of my head there are three things that are being questioned in the video...

1. The AT-AT's head movement. We have seen that these were installed with a head frame connected to the body frame, so I think a little movement is possible, but not as much as in the video.
2. The lasers. I think this is possible, but I also think the video is enhanced to make them look better then they actually will.
3. Kylo's lightsaber cutting through the ceiling. I think they will have some version of this effect, but again I think the video is enhanced.

bclane

Remember, the head movement has been teased from the outset:

I think it will move but also wonder if it could be enhanced via projection to make it look like it’s moving more than it really is. Either way, only three more months before we find out!

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Off the top of my head there are three things that are being questioned in the video...

1. The AT-AT's head movement. We have seen that these were installed with a head frame connected to the body frame, so I think a little movement is possible, but not as much as in the video.
2. The lasers. I think this is possible, but I also think the video is enhanced to make them look better then they actually will.
3. Kylo's lightsaber cutting through the ceiling. I think they will have some version of this effect, but again I think the video is enhanced.
Is there going to be a Kylo Ren animatronic? I also heard rumors of a General Hux animatronic as well.

rsm

There are two ways blaster bolts could be visible “in the air”. One is to haze the room with a light fog and then the beam of light emanating from a gun actually becomes visible in the air. This could not achieve a bolt that “moves” along its trajectory from the source to the target though - the beam would be visible along the entire run (think phaser in TNG Star Trek).

The other way would allow the beam to travel along its trajectory but is much fussier - there can be a wire with fiber optic or led dots all the way along it, strung from the gun to its target and the lights along the string light up marquee style showing a bolt travel. This string would always be there and difficult to fully disguise

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are two ways blaster bolts could be visible “in the air”. One is to haze the room with a light fog and then the beam of light emanating from a gun actually becomes visible in the air. This could not achieve a bolt that “moves” along its trajectory from the source to the target though - the beam would be visible along the entire run (think phaser in TNG Star Trek).

The other way would allow the beam to travel along its trajectory but is much fussier - there can be a wire with fiber optic or led dots all the way along it, strung from the gun to its target and the lights along the string light up marquee style showing a bolt travel. This string would always be there and difficult to fully disguise

There is also this patent...

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
We've seen proof of at least one. At the very beginning of the D23 footage, we see the backside of Kylo looking down at us in what is likely a holding cell/interrogation chamber before boarding the main ride vehicle.
Thanks! I just watched the footage and never noticed that before :)

trainplane3

Have you watched much of Clone Wars? May not be your cup of tea, but I would be hard pressed to find many fans that would consider it "stupid".
The "cartoony" style was definitely a turn off to me but once you get to the end of Season 2 onward, it was heavy hitting show. Shocking amount of violence when you compare it to Rebels.
Side note:. I'm as excited for Clone Wars season 7 as I am for the Mandalorian. Disney+ can just take my money (well, technically they already have given I took advantage of the D23 preorder...)..
Finally, we get the "Bad Batch" arc in full quality too. The pre-rendered stuff they released of it was still great.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
The "cartoony" style was definitely a turn off to me but once you get to the end of Season 2 onward, it was heavy hitting show. Shocking amount of violence when you compare it to Rebels.

Finally, we get the "Bad Batch" arc in full quality too. The pre-rendered stuff they released of it was still great.
I absolutely love the clone wars and rebels! Its what helped make me a massive star wars fan.

Hawg G

I think it will move but also wonder if it could be enhanced via projection to make it look like it’s moving more than it really is. Either way, only three more months before we find out!

It’s interesting this video shows only the AT-AT bodies' with no heads attached. My guess is they were planned on moving, but it was cut for budget or technical reasons. But all the CGI we’re seeing was already in the pipe. Again, I find it HIGHLY unlikely they would being in equipment to cut off the heads and add some serious motors to move those heads. If they move, they won’t for long.

As for the lasers, the patent is cool. But again, those spinning parts, which will spin VERY fast, would have to be isolated from guests, or one will fail fly off at 100 mph, and kill a little girl some day. It’s a cool patent, but I can’t see it used in a location that projection mapping wouldn’t be easier, and probably better.

The ride is clearly going to land between Spidey, with all screens and very detailed sets, and Ratatouille with all action on screens, and pretty basic, not fully immersive sets. And of course then there I’ll be some AAs added, and the ending fast elevator ride in a 360 degree screen around you.

I do hope it hits the screen/practical ratio just right. It sounds like it will. But it also seems like there are VERY few scenes in the ride, I’m pretty confident the 7-8 minute ride length is pure BS. It’ll be 4 minutes, have 3 or 4 AAs, likely 1 top notch one, a screen and/or projection mapping in pretty much every scene, and hopefully a couple of neat new effects, but likely the neatest “surprise” was already spoiled out of desperation in the D23 video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom