Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

CM.X777

Yes the first one has been working but not the second two which is where the "dodging" comes into play. I have no idea what's going on but it's my favorite effect on the whole ride. I hope it doesn't turn into a yeti type issue.
The guns keep faulting causing the ride to break down. So Disney higher ups have ordered them turned off for now, since they would rather turn them off than deal with the down times. What I have heard is engineering has 1 more shot to fix the guns before they are turned off forever.

WDI said the guns would be the first thing to go, long before the ride even opened. For me that just reinforces that modern WDI doesn't build things to last, they build effects that look cool, and last 1 year maybe 2. This is also a side effect of Disney ALWAYS giving the contract to the lowest bidder.

999th Happy Haunt

The guns keep faulting causing the ride to break down. So Disney higher ups have ordered them turned off for now, since they would rather turn them off than deal with the down times. What I have heard is engineering has 1 more shot to fix the guns before they are turned off forever.

WDI said the guns would be the first thing to go, long before the ride even opened. For me that just reinforces that modern WDI doesn't build things to last, they build effects that look cool, and last 1 year maybe 2. This is also a side effect of Disney ALWAYS giving the contract to the lowest bidder.
Can’t wait for this to be added to the list of “effects that only worked for not even a year or two after the ride’s opening” along with the yeti from everest, the shattering flower pot in pirates, and the ice machine from indy.

At least I actually got to see this one in action, which still isn’t a good feeling.

Movielover

Why these were trackless elements in the first place is what baffles me. Should have gone with some type of mechanical push bar or hydraulics.

peter11435

Why these were trackless elements in the first place is what baffles me. Should have gone with some type of mechanical push bar or hydraulics.
Generally speaking when designing rides and ride systems you don’t place show elements inside the ride envelope that could get hit or hit a vehicle. Rise dealt with that challenge by making these particular show elements essentially ride vehicles themselves.

Movielover

Generally speaking when designing rides and ride systems you don’t place show elements inside the ride envelope that could get hit or hit a vehicle. Rise added to that challenge by making these particular show elements overly complex wifi dependent ride vehicles in a already complex wifi space.

This would have been alot simpler to make them non wifi dependent. If they had went the way of using more analog methods it would have been no different than the doors found on multiple dark rides or the track switches on Everest. Instead they went the trackless route for moving scenery, thus relying on the wifi to have constant connection with the ride computer in a building that had so many wifi problems tracking the ride vehicles.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
For me that just reinforces that modern WDI doesn't build things to last
I disagree with that statement. There is always some complicated effect on new rides at the time that no longer work.

Footlight Parade - Great Movie Ride
Spiked Ceiling/Chamber of Destiny/Falling Rocks - Indiana Jones
Mermaid Effects - Pirates of the Caribbean
The Yeti - Expedition Everest
Q'araq - Roaring Rapids
Pterosaur/Compsognathus/Others - DINOSAUR
Original Hatbox Ghost - The Haunted Mansion
Waterfall Mist Screen - Pirates of the Caribbean
Million Dollar Bunny (hit or miss) - Splash Mountain
Moving Rock Sides - Thunder Mountain
"Wider" Curtains Scrapped - Ellen's Energy Adventure

This is just from a quick google search... I'm sure there are plenty more out there. Things that stop working over time, whether in a short amount of time or longer... It's nothing new. It happens when you're trying to make next grade technology.

When it's unforgivable: When corporate decides to stop working on it to ensure that the attraction doesn't lose the effect.

peter11435

This would have been alot simpler to make them non wifi dependent. If they had went the way of using more analog methods it would have been no different than the doors found on multiple dark rides or the track switches on Everest. Instead they went the trackless route for moving scenery, thus relying on the wifi to have constant connection with the ride computer in a building that had so many wifi problems tracking the ride vehicles.
Nearly all dark rides are designed to accommodate the vehicle possibly or intentionally impacting the door. That wasn’t an option here. And vehicles easily trigger a sensor to open or close said door…. They aren’t performing a close range “dance” with the doors. Also surely you can see the difference between a hinged door and a massive set piece moving perpendicular to the vehicle motion.

In the case of Everest the track switch is a fully integrated part of the ride system just like they did here. The vehicle is fully stationary and not released until the track switch is in position and verified. In the case of rise both elements are moving simultaneously and in close proximity.

They choose the absolute safest method to implement this effect.

Last edited:

Jones14

What confuses me is that the first cannon seems to work almost 100% of the time. Does the computer just get confused trying to move all three cannons and the vehicles at once?

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Other than the two times I have been on RoTR where it went down, today was the roughest shape I have seen it in. So many effects not working and I would be mad if I paid for individual Lightning lane.
Fortunately (?) most of those who paid likely won't know what they're missing, and so TWDC won't have to deal with many upset buyers.

999th Happy Haunt

Other than the two times I have been on RoTR where it went down, today was the roughest shape I have seen it in. So many effects not working and I would be mad if I paid for individual Lightning lane.
Huge flaw with lightning lane right here. If you used a fastpass on a ride and it was in rough shape, oh well, just unlucky. If I’m paying up to $15 to get on a ride, I’m expecting that ride to be in top shape, or at least have it’s big effects working.

What an embarrassment.

peter11435

Huge flaw with lightning lane right here. If you used a fastpass on a ride and it was in rough shape, oh well, just unlucky. If I’m paying up to $15 to get on a ride, I’m expecting that ride to be in top shape, or at least have it’s big effects working.

What an embarrassment.
But see that’s actually the opposite of a flaw. This is ultimately the best thing about lighting lane. People will complain. People need to complain. Their hand will be forced to do more.

monothingie

I ❤️ Bob
Premium Member

What an embarrassment.

But see that’s actually the opposite of a flaw. This is ultimately the best thing about lighting lane. People will complain. People need to complain. Their hand will be forced to do more.
Remind me again what the price of a day ticket is or an AP?

They have never really cared and never will. At least under the current and immediate past regimes.

peter11435

Remind me again what the price of a day ticket is or an AP?

They have never really cared and never will. At least under the current and immediate past regimes.
Yes. But it’s different when you are directly paying for a specific attraction. When they are constantly refunding due to attraction downtimes…

vikescaper

Yes. But it’s different when you are directly paying for a specific attraction. When they are constantly refunding due to attraction downtimes…
So, if I bought individual Lightning lane for Expedition Everest and complained about Disco Yeti, would that mean that we could finally get the Yeti fixed?

gerarar

Premium Member
The moving canons are probably one of the greatest scenes in the whole “ride” portion except for the surprise drop tower in the end.

Hopefully they really take their time to improve/fix the effect. Also, isn’t Rise due for an extended refurbishment soon? It’s about to have its second birthday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom