Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

vikescaper

The moving canons are probably one of the greatest scenes in the whole “ride” portion except for the surprise drop tower in the end.

Hopefully they really take their time to improve/fix the effect. Also, isn’t Rise due for an extended refurbishment soon? It’s about to have its second birthday.
It would be nice if Rise could get an extended refurb but it sort of sad to think that a two year old ride already needs a refurb.

gerarar

Premium Member
It would be nice if Rise could get an extended refurb but it sort of sad to think that a two year old ride already needs a refurb.
They did rush the ride to meet it’s (already delayed) opening of December 2019. WDI wanted more time with it to work out the kinks and stuff supposedly.
Plus it had so many problems upon opening, so I think a good refurbishment is probably needed.

G00fyDad

If they do refurb this ride then I sincerely hope they do it and get it done before our trip in November 2022. Otherwise if it occurs during our trip I am going to have a lot of rebooking to do.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
They did rush the ride to meet it’s (already delayed) opening of December 2019. WDI wanted more time with it to work out the kinks and stuff supposedly.
Plus it had so many problems upon opening, so I think a good refurbishment is probably needed.
If a refurb of any significant length is in the offering, it will have to be completed before March 2, or the Galactic Starcruiser passengers who dock in Batuu during their shore excursion will have a fit.

G00fyDad

If a refurb of any significant length is in the offering, it will have to be completed before March 2, or the Galactic Starcruiser passengers who dock in Batuu during their shore excursion will have a fit.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe that means they will be refurbing it while "hot". They could do the work in the evenings and test off-site then come in an implement the changes after closing.

Anyone know exactly what is wrong with the ride? (Other than "XXX is not working")

gerarar

Premium Member
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe that means they will be refurbing it while "hot". They could do the work in the evenings and test off-site then come in an implement the changes after closing.

Anyone know exactly what is wrong with the ride? (Other than "XXX is not working")
One of the few moving set pieces in the final Kylo AA doesn’t fall anymore.

Preshows is another big one. There’s always news of it being skipped every week or two.

Disstevefan1

Too bad. I never got to ride this when it was fully functional. Whenever I get to ride it, I will just have to settle for whatever happens to work at the moment..

Casper Gutman

Maybe if there is a refurb for RotR, the Imagineers (such as they are) could put Han Solo and Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia in it. You know, Star Wars characters people actually CARE about. :cool:
Yeah, I liked the first two sequels, the second quite a lot, but after riding RotR I gotta admit, I want the original crew and it does make a difference. Maybe we replace holo-Rey with holo-Luke and put Rey somewhere else, maybe in the ride vehicle load scene? And how about a robo-Chewie in the AT-AT scene - that can all fit with the sequel setting!

A side note - why are the CMs that load the ride vehicle wearing rebel outfits? Shouldn't they be in First Order garb since they are undercover on the ship?

Also, they need to add a big neon arrow pointing at Finn because I keep missing him.

waltography

A side note - why are the CMs that load the ride vehicle wearing rebel outfits? Shouldn't they be in First Order garb since they are undercover on the ship?
I feel like the obvious answer is they need to be read as part of the Resistance quickly. Being wildly speculative, though, it could also be related to how cast members rotate positions on the attraction. On one of the last times I rode, one of the cast members that boarded us into the ride vehicle was also one of the cast members that hustled us into the ITS shuttle (made for an unintentionally enhanced storyline on that one trip!). He was very memorable, he looked just like Poe. 😅

CM.X777

This is going to be a big reply to many things

Why these were trackless elements in the first place is what baffles me. Should have gone with some type of mechanical push bar or hydraulics.

They are not trackless. The guns are on rails.

Generally speaking when designing rides and ride systems you don’t place show elements inside the ride envelope that could get hit or hit a vehicle. Rise dealt with that challenge by making these particular show elements essentially ride vehicles themselves.

Uhh wrong, please see above as the guns are on rails, and are not considered ride vehicle in the RCS. In the RCS the gun are treated like the doors you see moving when you go from scene to scene.

What confuses me is that the first cannon seems to work almost 100% of the time. Does the computer just get confused trying to move all three cannons and the vehicles at once?

It's not about getting confused in about the guns faulting. The reason gun 1 works all the time is that is has different, and less movement than guns 2 and 3.

One of the few moving set pieces in the final Kylo AA doesn’t fall anymore.

Preshows is another big one. There’s always news of it being skipped every week or two.

Only in WDW, if they tried to do what is called the ITS Bypass in DL now, the CMs would literally would refuse to do it.

Maybe if there is a refurb for RotR, the Imagineers (such as they are) could put Han Solo and Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia in it. You know, Star Wars characters people actually CARE about. :cool:

The amount of money it would take to convert Rise to the OT would be insane. First you'd need to replace ALL the media, then you'd need to redo the X-wing, all the stormtrooper, the AT-ATs, the Tie fighter, all the AAs, all the FO costumes, and some of the Resistance costume pieces.

First of all Resistance outfits, not Rebel. It's 2 main things. From an operational stand point Resistance needs have control of load, and you're not going to have the CMs changing every time they rotate positions (tho that was the plan at one point with Stormtrooper Armor). Secondly a lot of guest are REALLY stupid, so they thought/knew most guest would be confused if when the door opened you saw someone in a FO costume breaking you out. That why the CMs say "we're with the Resistance" when they come into the cell.

CM.X777

I feel like the obvious answer is they need to be read as part of the Resistance quickly. Being wildly speculative, though, it could also be related to how cast members rotate positions on the attraction. On one of the last times I rode, one of the cast members that boarded us into the ride vehicle was also one of the cast members that hustled us into the ITS shuttle (made for an unintentionally enhanced storyline on that one trip!). He was very memorable, he looked just like Poe. 😅

Just out of curiosity, with the CM that looked like Poe, was this in DL or WDW?

Magenta Panther

This is going to be a big reply to many things

They are not trackless. The guns are on rails.

Uhh wrong, please see above as the guns are on rails, and are not considered ride vehicle in the RCS. In the RCS the gun are treated like the doors you see moving when you go from scene to scene.

It's not about getting confused in about the guns faulting. The reason gun 1 works all the time is that is has different, and less movement than guns 2 and 3.

Only in WDW, if they tried to do what is called the ITS Bypass in DL now, the CMs would literally would refuse to do it.

The amount of money it would take to convert Rise to the OT would be insane. First you'd need to replace ALL the media, then you'd need to redo the X-wing, all the stormtrooper, the AT-ATs, the Tie fighter, all the AAs, all the FO costumes, and some of the Resistance costume pieces.

First of all Resistance outfits, not Rebel. It's 2 main things. From an operational stand point Resistance needs have control of load, and you're not going to have the CMs changing every time they rotate positions (tho that was the plan at one point with Stormtrooper Armor). Secondly a lot of guest are REALLY stupid, so they thought/knew most guest would be confused if when the door opened you saw someone in a FO costume breaking you out. That why the CMs say "we're with the Resistance" when they come into the cell.

All the Disney "Imagineers" would have to do is: replace the MaREY Sue hologram with Princess Leia, remove both of the Kylo Ren AAs (which break down all the time anyway) with either a Darth Vader AA OR an actor in a Darth Vader costume (who'd be able to tell the difference anyway?) and have Han Solo greet you at the end (replacing Ackbar) after you get off the crashed pod or whatever. As for the differences in hardware...WHO CARES? Guests could even have two choices of adventures: Original Trilogy or the Crappy Sequels. Kind of like Star Tours, which features several different adventures. Win-win!

Movielover

All the Disney "Imagineers" would have to do is: replace the MaREY Sue hologram with Princess Leia, remove both of the Kylo Ren AAs (which break down all the time anyway) with either a Darth Vader AA OR an actor in a Darth Vader costume (who'd be able to tell the difference anyway?) and have Han Solo greet you at the end (replacing Ackbar) after you get off the crashed pod or whatever. As for the differences in hardware...WHO CARES? Guests could even have two choices of adventures: Original Trilogy or the Crappy Sequels. Kind of like Star Tours, which features several different adventures. Win-win!

:rolleyes:

CM.X777

This is maybe thee stupidest thing I have read on these forums.

RSoxNo1

Let's dismiss all the talk about re-theming Rise of the Resistance to the original trilogy. It's 100% not necessary. This ride is not a problem with the land or the park. It's one of the best things Disney has ever done.

If anything, the move would be to not set the land at a specific point in time, and the easiest way to do that would be swapping out walk around characters and adding multiple missions to Smugglers Run. Updating an attraction that is already a 10 out of 10 should not be the focus.

Casper Gutman

Let's dismiss all the talk about re-theming Rise of the Resistance to the original trilogy. It's 100% not necessary. This ride is not a problem with the land or the park. It's one of the best things Disney has ever done.

If anything, the move would be to not set the land at a specific point in time, and the easiest way to do that would be swapping out walk around characters and adding multiple missions to Smugglers Run. Updating an attraction that is already a 10 out of 10 should not be the focus.
I agree that retheming to the original trilogy isn't going to and shouldn't happen, though I see no reason Chewie can't be in there somewhere.

Let's not get carried away praising RotR, however. It's a really good ride, an 8 or 9 out of 10, but it's not one of the best things Disney has ever done. It's not even the best (or, very arguably, second best) attraction in either of its home parks. Heck, I'd argue its not even the best trackless ride added to MGM in the last three years.

Here's a question: is RotR one of the ten best currently operating Disney attractions? For me, it falls just outside that boundary, behind (in no particular order) Pirates, Pirates Shanghai (different enough to count separately), Tower, HM, MMRR, Mystic Manor, Spaceship Earth, Splash, Big Thunder, Radiator Springs, and Indy.

dreday3

We finally got to ride last month! First time seeing Galaxy's Edge too. Me -casual Star wars fan. The other two - huge fans of original trilogy.

GE:
Smaller than I pictured, but that's on me. I always think things are going to be grander than they are.
It looks cool, but I hate to say, not much to do? 2 big fans - while they liked seeing the ships, etc., there was not much else that held their interest. Mostly shops. Bought a stuffed Chewbacca! Their biggest complaint was it felt out of place - walking from Toy Story land to GE, no roaming characters, I don't think they felt immersed? I don't know what they expect Disney to do about that, but that was their complaint so I'm sharing it! :D
Pretty at night.
The Ronto-wrap was delicious!
Smugglers Run was fun - I had option to be pilot but switched with a gunner due to the stress! :D
Rise was fun - I think all the effects were working? Not as exciting or awesome as everything I have read. Certainly don't think it's Disney's best ride or even close to it. Would not pay for it again.

I have to say I think Railway is genius and pure Disney. We all liked it better than Rise.

As far as pure creativity/theme/looks - sorry all, but I think Pandora is a better "land" than GE. But I'm the minority on this and happy we get to experience both.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom