Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Casper Gutman

We finally got to ride last month! First time seeing Galaxy's Edge too. Me -casual Star wars fan. The other two - huge fans of original trilogy.

GE:
Smaller than I pictured, but that's on me. I always think things are going to be grander than they are.
It looks cool, but I hate to say, not much to do? 2 big fans - while they liked seeing the ships, etc., there was not much else that held their interest. Mostly shops. Bought a stuffed Chewbacca! Their biggest complaint was it felt out of place - walking from Toy Story land to GE, no roaming characters, I don't think they felt immersed? I don't know what they expect Disney to do about that, but that was their complaint so I'm sharing it! :D
Pretty at night.
The Ronto-wrap was delicious!
Smugglers Run was fun - I had option to be pilot but switched with a gunner due to the stress! :D
Rise was fun - I think all the affects were working? Not as exciting or awesome as everything I have read. Certainly don't think it's Disney's best ride or even close to it. Would not pay for it again.

I have to say I think Railway is genius and pure Disney. We all liked it better than Rise.

As far as pure creativity/theme/looks - sorry all, but I think Pandora is a better "land" than GE. But I'm the minority on this and happy we get to experience both.
I like SWL a lot more then Pandora, but I agree with a lot of this, especially about the immersiveness. Basically, the wide open paths and large open areas make you feel less immersed then in somewhere like Potterland or even Pandora. It was built that way to accommodate wandering characters and droids, which would have made up for the openness with a different sort of immersiveness, but those were cut. So the end result is the worst of all worlds in regards to immersiveness - wide open, unoccupied pavement.

Magenta Panther

This is maybe thee stupidest thing I have read on these forums.

And yet, I read something from Marni some time back - and please correct me if I'm wrong, Marni - that the Robert Iger Company was actually contemplating inserting elements from the Original Trilogy into Galaxy's Edge. Because the opening of the land containing only Smuggler's Run was such a flop, as I understood it.

And if you're happy with the new characters as opposed to the originals, I think your intelligence and taste are what's in question here. ;) 😘

Casper Gutman

And yet, I read something from Marni some time back - and please correct me if I'm wrong, Marni - that the Robert Iger Company was actually contemplating inserting elements from the Original Trilogy into Galaxy's Edge. Because the opening of the land containing only Smuggler's Run was such a flop, as I understood it.

And if you're happy with the new characters as opposed to the originals, I think your intelligence and taste are what's in question here. ;) 😘
I much prefer the original to the sequel trilogy, but I certainly understand enjoying the sequels. Last Jedi in particular was a good film with several impressive performances and sharp, smart ideas that Rise absolutely neglected or destroyed, and Awakens was a fun time. Only Rise is thoroughly and completely irredeemable and, yes, drags the trilogy down a long way with it. The studio that made a fortune off the MCU began the third Star Wars trilogy without even a loose framework of the overarching plot and themes they wanted to develop, and that was the fundamental problem.

Honestly, Rise doesn't even need the stars other then Kylo - Finn, Poe, and Rey could all be replaced with generic Resistance guys and the ride would be just fine. And OT characters won't help Smugglers - only ripping it out and starting from scratch will do that.

Anyway, adding OT characters to Batuu is the last place stingy WDW should invest cash. If they want to build a new, OT-focused ride, great! But Magic Kingdom needs capacity, Animal Kingdom needs rides, and EPCOT needs... everything. We can all deal with watching Oscar Isaac mail in a performance from in front of a green screen in his garage for a while.

erasure fan1

Last Jedi in particular was a good film with several impressive performances and sharp, smart ideas that Rise absolutely neglected or destroyed, and Awakens was a fun time.
Well to be fair, it was last jedi that abandoned most all what the force awakens started.
Anyway, adding OT characters to Batuu is the last place stingy WDW should invest cash. If they want to build a new, OT-focused ride, great!
Personally I think it is definitely something they should do. You can't change the setting so adding in OT elements would be fairly easy. At this point, just make the land a celebration of star wars. Unfortunately all the parks need a lot of help. So odds are Disney isn't going to invest in something so new.

Casper Gutman

Well to be fair, it was last jedi that abandoned most all what the force awakens started.
Force was fun, but it was a note-by-note remake of New Hope and didn't bring much that was new or interesting to the table. Snoke and Luke's sabre were typical Abrams puzzle-box-that-exist-for-their-own-sake nonsense, and just as in so many of his other shows, Abrams didnt seem to have anywhere interesting to go with them. Snoke in particular seemed to promise that the sequel trilogy would continue to be nothing but a remake of the original. Last Jedi treated those breadcrumbs with the respect they deserved and took the story in a new direction that both built on and commented on the OT. And then Skywalker happened.

More and more I wish Batuu was set during the OT, but it isn't, its good anyway, and remaking the existing land is about 181st on WDW's list of priorities.

SWGalaxys_Edge

The First Order is ready for Christmas!

115938156_283766612899840_8241123408126766289_n.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

I much prefer the original to the sequel trilogy, but I certainly understand enjoying the sequels. Last Jedi in particular was a good film with several impressive performances and sharp, smart ideas that Rise absolutely neglected or destroyed, and Awakens was a fun time. Only Rise is thoroughly and completely irredeemable and, yes, drags the trilogy down a long way with it. The studio that made a fortune off the MCU began the third Star Wars trilogy without even a loose framework of the overarching plot and themes they wanted to develop, and that was the fundamental problem.

Honestly, Rise doesn't even need the stars other then Kylo - Finn, Poe, and Rey could all be replaced with generic Resistance guys and the ride would be just fine. And OT characters won't help Smugglers - only ripping it out and starting from scratch will do that.

Anyway, adding OT characters to Batuu is the last place stingy WDW should invest cash. If they want to build a new, OT-focused ride, great! But Magic Kingdom needs capacity, Animal Kingdom needs rides, and EPCOT needs... everything. We can all deal with watching Oscar Isaac mail in a performance from in front of a green screen in his garage for a while.
I think you should watch all that Stuff again…less drunk this time 🍺

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom