Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

TTA94

I’m avoiding videos but curious how the Kylo light saber effect is handled? I did see a picture and it looked extremely lame like a short red stick sticking out of the ceiling?

Disney Analyst

It began with The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man opened. And 20 years later, it's still the GOAT.

Disney spent a LOT of money on SWGE. I mean, it does seem they did this ride right, but for that money, they sure better have. I'm not watching POVs, but it is a blend of AAs and video, and new effects. But before we get too ahead of ourselves, let's remember Hobgoblin has been throwing pumpkin bombs, that explode in real fire, at guests for 20 years.

I recall being at Fort Wilderness when I first visited IOA. The CM there said "Spider-man is a good ride, but Disney will beat it soon". It took 20 years for what seems to be essentially a ride that MATCHES Spidey. You can argue all day that it has AAs, so it's better. And maybe a couple AAs in Spidey would improve it, but I'm not really sure they would.

For over 20 years Disney has been coasting. Adding hotel rooms like mad, but not really adding ANY ride capacity, except for at the newest park, that opened with an anemic attraction list. They are finally doing something about it. But at least Universal didn't spend a load of money on FatF, like MFSR.

are you considering Orlando only? I’d still consider Indy greater then Spider-Man. And then Disney built RSR... Mystic Manor... Shanghai Pirates.

MrConbon

I’m avoiding videos but curious how the Kylo light saber effect is handled? I did see a picture and it looked extremely lame like a short red stick sticking out of the ceiling?

It’s probably my favorite effect on the ride. Like yes it is a red stick coming out of the ceiling but it goes from a seemingly regular roof to a lightsaber being stabbed through and slicing its way through.

Mouse Trap

It began with The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man opened. And 20 years later, it's still the GOAT.

Disney spent a LOT of money on SWGE. I mean, it does seem they did this ride right, but for that money, they sure better have. I'm not watching POVs, but it is a blend of AAs and video, and new effects. But before we get too ahead of ourselves, let's remember Hobgoblin has been throwing pumpkin bombs, that explode in real fire, at guests for 20 years.

I recall being at Fort Wilderness when I first visited IOA. The CM there said "Spider-man is a good ride, but Disney will beat it soon". It took 20 years for what seems to be essentially a ride that MATCHES Spidey. You can argue all day that it has AAs, so it's better. And maybe a couple AAs in Spidey would improve it, but I'm not really sure they would.

For over 20 years Disney has been coasting. Adding hotel rooms like mad, but not really adding ANY ride capacity, except for at the newest park, that opened with an anemic attraction list. They are finally doing something about it. But at least Universal didn't spend a load of money on FatF, like MFSR.

If that's your opinion that's totally fine. But ROTR beats Spider-Man as a technological achievement by far.

trainplane3

Just watched a video on YouTube and noticed a Railing and ratchet strap has appeared in front of the at-at as your rise up. Wonder if it’s there to solve an issue that cropped up during press day

View attachment 430843
Very good catch! Here's a video featuring this...fix/bandaid?

Should be right at correct point. @marni1971, it's been said the elevators are a "trouble" spot. Could this railing be some kind of fix so there's less of a need to rely on sensors? Example: If something is throwing a false positive, they could disable a check at the top of the elevator since there's a large barrier preventing any sort of forward motion. If this makes sense?

*I see the lower barriers are on both elevators regardless.*

The_Wilsons

Should be right at correct point. @marni1971, it's been said the elevators are a "trouble" spot. Could this railing be some kind of fix so there's less of a need to rely on sensors? Example: If something is throwing a false positive, they could disable a check at the top of the elevator since there's a large barrier preventing any sort of forward motion. If this makes sense?

Yep that’s the vid I spotted it on.

Disney Analyst

honestly... it looks like fall safety railings from third shift that someone forgot to hide...

KevinPage

its great and totally believable. Also I like how the CG Kylo they comes at you before this effect, they use a real lightsaber, which gives it more “pop”

tirian

Yeah, it’s messed up. Guests playing by Disney’s posted rules shouldn’t be punished. I have heard cases of Walt Disney World resort concierge staff rudely and impatiently assuring guests that they posted 9 AM open was the open time. If those guests arrive at 9 AM and are SOL I believe they deserve compensation.
Sadly, that’s not uncommon. Disney has “best-in-class” service as long as nothing unexpected happens. As soon as something goes off script, the bitter or jaded CMs in GR and Concierge tend to turn into arrogant control freaks who lie to guests. They’re not all bad—just the ones who would be bitter or jaded in any other job too, which makes you question how they keep those roles.

More importantly, on days of expected crowds, DHS has been opening at least an hour early ever since Toy Story Land. CMs are scheduled and ready for early openings. Idk why the company insists on lying to guests about rope drop.

ToTBellHop

Sadly, that’s not uncommon. Disney has “best-in-class” service as long as nothing unexpected happens. As soon as something goes off script, the bitter or jaded CMs in GR and Concierge tend to turn into arrogant control freaks who lie to guests. They’re not all bad—just the ones who would be bitter or jaded in any other job too, which makes you question how they keep those roles.

More importantly, on days of expected crowds, DHS has been opening at least an hour early ever since Toy Story Land. CMs are scheduled and ready for early openings. Idk why the company insists on lying to guests about rope drop.
Right and it doesn’t really work that well. Tons of people became aware of those early Toy story and Pandora openings so they were still slammed (the internet will do that). More recently the early openings for Toy story and Pandora went away leaving guests confused.

Mouse Trap

Right and it doesn’t really work that well. Tons of people became aware of those early Toy story and Pandora openings so they were still slammed (the internet will do that). More recently the early openings for Toy story and Pandora went away leaving guests confused.

Disney always pulls this stunt. Even at D23 Expo for the last few years its always been "no overnights" or "do not lineup before 11PM" and can we guess what Disney does?

Weather_Lady

Maybe it's too early to ask, but has there been any scuttlebutt about how long the boarding groups system will be kept in place for Rise of the Resistance, or when/if there will be any changes to the current Fastpass tiers in HS?

Some people (cough cough) who have to make Fastpasses in less than 2 weeks would love to know how to plan their HS day! It's pretty tough when you don't know whether you'll be joining a boarding group, having to rope-drop RORT in standby, or [improbably, but who knows?] fighting for a FP+ for it.

Yeah I’m not complaining as it’s to us early birds benefit. Not sure how much of a logistical issue that would be or a PR hassle to turn people away who are there, willing and able to ride. Suppose it’s easier to tell people who were late “sorry gotta get here sooner”.

And the people waking up and getting here are more dedicated so on one hand it’s good they get the benefit as well. Not sure there is a single perfect solution to this.

That being said, I’m toying with the idea of getting here at 5:30am tomorrow. But I’m supposed to be taking the kids to Magic Kingdom. The 3 mountains are gonna feel like a letdown after these 2 days. LOL

I think you should take the day off HS to enjoy the mountains... and save a boarding pass for me. :)

I REALLY hope the resort buses start early too to save me some $$$ on an Lyft/Uber. I'm an early riser so I have no issue getting there super early tomorrow... might just be hard to convince the rest of my family. Am I a bad father if I ditch them, or a super passionate Disney/Star Wars fan?

Incomudro

This is so far beyond that 3D movie.
It does far more than match Spiderman.
I mean, it ought to be far beyond Spiderman - I'm with you on that... And Disney took a long time to bring something of this level to WDW I agree with that.
But the scale and vastness of Rise, the enormity of the physical sets, that you are in and amongst is on a whole new level.
Then you couple it with the fact that it's contained within the land it is in, which is part of the experience.

disneygeek90

Maybe it's too early to ask, but has there been any scuttlebutt about how long the boarding groups system will be kept in place for Rise of the Resistance, or when/if there will be any changes to the current Fastpass tiers in HS?

Some people (cough cough) who have to make Fastpasses in less than 2 weeks would love to know how to plan their HS day! It's pretty tough when you don't know whether you'll be joining a boarding group, having to rope-drop RORT in standby, or [improbably, but who knows?] fighting for a FP+ for it.
Most are assuming the boarding group thing will last at least through the holidays.

Mouse Trap

I hope this teaches Iger, Chapek, & Co. what happens when you allow WDI to operate at its best. :)

I hope so, but reality seems to indicate the big investment of ROTR will give Chapek to underspend on the next few years of future attractions because he's already "given the people what they want" once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom