Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This just in from WDW... (this is not going to go well tomorrow)

"We’ve been encountering downtime’s all day yesterday. It’s been taking 3-4 hours to get back up. Then when we get back up, it faults again.
We only had 2 perfect days last week. Also, yesterday Bob Chapeak, and Josh D, and other executives were at Rise and it kept going down. Main issue drops / lifts! They were filming a commercial on the attraction and the camera crew had to be evacuated. "
Ouch.

SWGalaxysEdge

Do you know any truth to this? I recently heard that they only have half of their vehicles in operation (about 17-18). If so, those lines are going to be even more insane with those downtimes.

...this came straight from "someone" working on the RotR ride. As for cars, yeah I heard about 20-25 of them are running.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jury hasn't come in if M&M RR is an E Ticket or high D, and considering how far out the Avenger E ticket is, I worry greatly about it's budget.
Juries don't decide if a ride is an E ticket or not, the imagineers do based on cost and scope of theming. People assume that "popular" equals an E ticket, because that's usually the case.

But C tickets can wind up to be very popular and an E ticket not so much.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoy MFSR and so did others. So blanket statements that "people don't like it" are lies.

Rob562

Well from everything I'm reading I'm glad I'm waiting until I try to ride RotR... let them work out the kinks.

I'll be (hopefully) riding on Day 7 of operation. Maybe they'll get a kink or two ironed out. Or maybe not... We'll see next week. (Good thing we have two days penciled in for Studios)

-Rob

choco choco

Where FOP succeeds that MF doesn't is the emotional connection and thrill factor it manages to offer riders before the experience is over. MF isn't fully doing that yet. Thankfully, MF is well equipped to update and alter the elements that aren't yet putting it over the top. I'm sure that will take longer to make happen than anyone would like (* cough cough* Star Tours *cough*), but it's not like the hardware is what's failing it.

All it takes is programming in a better mission. Ideally, several. It would be nice to see them sooner rather than later.

I think it would take more than that. The visual presentation leaves a lot to be desired. The screen is particularly dim, which, coupled with the poor production design of the planet you're flying through, makes it seem more obviously CGI and video-gamey. They need to focus on making the environment outside the ship seem more believable.

I don't know how they do that. Is it as simple as turning the brightness up on the projectors? I feel like going back to filming detailed models and real explosions would help considerably. Is there a way to do that and still program in the piloting controls element? Do they have better planet designs they can switch to? The current one is "generic futuristic/ flying ships land" that is a considerably poorer effort than the design of the land outside.

WDW Pro

Couple of things I've been made aware of over the past 48 hours:

1. The ride is being launched much earlier than it is ready to handle in DHS. Training is not sufficient, either for operation or for maintenance. It was recommended to open no earlier than Dec 14th, but Chapek himself ordered the date remain the 5th. Even the 14th was pushing it just to get it out for the holidays.
2. When the ride works, it is fantastic, and possibly the best immersive attraction in twenty years for any park anywhere.
3. Putting everything into the Disney Trilogy has Iger worried; SW9 just finished filming with Iger himself having reordered many reshoots to try to bridge the divide in the fans. Abrams won't have the final cut finished for a few more days. If SW9 is poorly received, it could damage the ride's reception despite its incredible tech and execution.
4. Downtime could be a massive issue for at least the first month. The ride is flat-out not ready for launch and has had major issues all the way through development. Nothing has changed since I made this post back in August:

First of all, RotR is an absolute disaster behind the scenes in regards to reliability. There are so many questionable systems in place, that I can easily see this ride opening to 50% uptime.

If you get to ride it at DHS, it should be incredible. But unless holiday miracles go Disney's way, it's going to be all-hands-on-deck to keep this thing running... and could be a very bumpy ride for a while.

RobWDW1971

1. The ride is being launched much earlier than it is ready to handle in DHS. Training is not sufficient, either for operation or for maintenance.
2. When the ride works, it is fantastic, and possibly the best immersive attraction in twenty years for any park anywhere.
3. Putting everything into the Disney Trilogy has Iger worried; SW9 just finished filming with Iger himself having reordered many reshoots to try to bridge the divide in the fans. Abrams won't have the final cut finished for a few more days. If SW9 is poorly received, it could damage the ride's reception despite its incredible tech and execution.
4. Downtime could be a massive issue for at least the first month. The ride is flat-out not ready for launch and has had major issues all the way through development. Nothing has changed since I made this post back in August:

If you get to ride it at DHS, it should be incredible. But unless holiday miracles go Disney's way, it's going to be all-hands-on-deck to keep this thing running... and could be a very bumpy ride for a while.

Has Disney ever launched a ride of this magnitude without significant guest and cast testing?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I can't think of this situation ever in the past. There have certainly been rides that just flat out didn't work and/or had to be significantly delayed... but launching a ride nearly blind? Nope.
I know the American Adventure opened before it was ready and backstage they were having to hold its hand through every show. But I can't think of anything recently that has been quite like this.

jrhwdw

I can't think of this situation ever in the past. There have certainly been rides that just flat out didn't work and/or had to be significantly delayed... but launching a ride nearly blind? Nope.
First time in here since this is the week!!!!

Test Track was for WDW'S 25th but didn't open until 1999. That was before these boards and our insiders., So IDK why the delay...

Did Hagrid break the first day? How many times? I know Hagrid had its own hours for a while, whether that was the ride breaking down or crowd control, IDK. Am I the only one scared about this week?!?! I want this attraction to be successful!!! Are we worried that ROTR won't make it through the week?? Should be interesting if media gets a ride though with no problems.

jrhwdw

I know the American Adventure opened before it was ready and backstage they were having to hold its hand through every show. But I can't think of anything recently that has been quite like this.
WOW! AA wasn't ready for Epcot's Grand Opening?!?! I wasn't alive yet but what happened???

RobWDW1971

First time in here since this is the week!!!!

Test Track was for WDW'S 25th but didn't open until 1999. That was before these boards and our insiders., So IDK why the delay...

Did Hagrid break the first day? How many times? I know Hagrid had its own hours for a while, whether that was the ride breaking down or crowd control, IDK. Am I the only one scared about this week?!?! I want this attraction to be successful!!! Are we worried that ROTR won't make it through the week?? Should be interesting if media gets a ride though with no problems.

Let us pray it doesn’t break down while the media is on it during the press preview - those Imagineers and operators shouldn’t lose their jobs before Christmas as management will blow a gasket.

BasiltheBatLord

Putting everything into the Disney Trilogy has Iger worried; SW9 just finished filming with Iger himself having reordered many reshoots to try to bridge the divide in the fans. Abrams won't have the final cut finished for a few more days.
Not necessarily saying you're wrong, but would be very interesting if this is true considering Abrams said publicly a couple of days ago that he had just finished picture lock on Ep. 9.

AEfx

Slight correction on this one - the print was locked a week or so ago.

Rich Brownn

WOW! AA wasn't ready for Epcot's Grand Opening?!?! I wasn't alive yet but what happened???
A lot of EPCOT wasn't quite ready. Every ride except Mexico broke down opening day. Spaceship Earth had a lock failure and a car rotated back on the decent almost throwing people out of the car. Energy constantly went down for months. That being said, Disney made sure the official media day was 3 weeks after the opening...

vaderren1983

1. The ride is being launched much earlier than it is ready to handle in DHS. Training is not sufficient, either for operation or for maintenance. It was recommended to open no earlier than Dec 14th, but Chapek himself ordered the date remain the 5th. Even the 14th was pushing it just to get it out for the holidays.

They only just finnished reshoots, like recently, that is really concerning

Do you have any idea of what has changed in the Iger ordered reshoots?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom