News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

LittleBuford

Done the same thing each of my four rides; turned on phone 6:55; open app 6:57ish; click learn more 7:00:00; click check status; join. Have gotten groups 10 (2nd overall); 12 (3rd overall); 90 (app glitched with the something went wrong message and had to hard restart the app twice); 3 this AM (not sure where overall that is yet). Am in the line for SDD now, so not looking good for the private ride experience a couple of y’all had the other day, haha!

Impressive! I'm going to follow this method when I visit next month. Regarding the glitched attempt, do you (or does anyone else here) know whether two different phones can have the app signed into the same user account at the same time? That way, I'd have a backup device should my own phone be experiencing difficulties.

Joeamc

I think that makes the most sense...….will still enable Disney to call BGs based on reliability while satisfying FP demands...………...Not sure if this could work, but they could also tweak the BG process to possibly allow the lottery for BG's to happen at a certain time that wouldn't require you to have your whole group in the park by park opening (lottery the night before)?
I think it can work. All Disney would have to do is lower the number of "regular" or guaranteed Boarding passes, or maybe even make none of the BP's guaranteed. Then Fastpasses take precedence and BPS are secondary, and you get called when they see fit. It eliminates the long standby lines. I think some form of that could work.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes.....did you not see it? its been confirmed
Yes, I saw the survey.
Pretty sure his point was, are you sure the survey (while it might be worded about ROTR) is about ROTR continuing to use BG? They could very well be gathering information to see what peoples perception is of the BG for future ride openings.

Joeamc

I think it can work. All Disney would have to do is lower the number of "regular" or guaranteed Boarding passes, or maybe even make none of the BP's guaranteed. Then Fastpasses take precedence and BPS are secondary, and you get called when they see fit. It eliminates the long standby lines. I think some form of that could work.
Just thinking that might also lead to Fastpass being a paid upgrade (which I believe is going to happen soon anyway), Because both keep you out of line, but one has precedence (Fastpass)

KevinPage

Impressive! I'm going to follow this method when I visit next month. Regarding the glitched attempt, do you (or does anyone else here) know whether two different phones can have the app signed into the same user account at the same time? That way, I'd have a backup device should my own phone be experiencing difficulties.

You’re risking a whipping by Chapek 😭

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's basically how most corporate surveys work, but okay.

You have no insider knowledge that the surveys are a scam or so laughably skewed.

It would seem strange for Disney spend a lot of money to hire a lot of professional pollsters and analysts (I've seen their help-wanteds) for fake results. It'd be so much cheaper not to have any polls at all rather than give a small fraction of their customers a false belief that they're listening.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
So, the consensus now is to open the app a few minutes early? My first visit was before you had to wait for opening. Going back in February.
That’s what I’ve been doing all along, I just open the app a couple of minutes before 7 (my theory is this gives anything my phone needs to load in the app time to load), but (importantly, I think) do not click on anything at all in the app until the second the clock ticks to 7:00:00 (the theory being that clicking early and going back and forth can cause a lag before the app refreshes its status properly to allow a join) and click “Find out more” in that instant, then check status, which has consistently given me an active join button. Three of my four tries since Jan 8 have resulted in top 3 boarding groups; the other try glitched and just gave me error messages when I tried clicking anything in the app (RotR or otherwise) until I restarted the app a couple of times going through and giving me group 90 (after a frantic minute and a half). I could be wrong, but I think the glitch was more of an unlucky anomaly rather than on the method.

PeoplemoverTTA

You have no insider knowledge that the surveys are a scam or so laughably skewed.

It would seem strange for Disney spend a lot of money to hire a lot of professional pollsters and analysts (I've seen their help-wanteds) for fake results. It'd be so much cheaper not to have any polls at all rather than give a small fraction of their customers a false belief that they're listening.

I’m truly not trying to be argumentative, and I agree that it seems we don’t have proof that Disney uses their market research to push through narratives and get things approved/killed. But, I worked in market research with some very large brands early in my career, and although I can’t speak to Disney specifically, I can say that this type of data manipulation/leading/etc is sadly very common in market research, generally speaking.

ImperfectPixie

I’m truly not trying to be argumentative, and I agree that it seems we don’t have proof that Disney uses their market research to push through narratives and get things approved/killed. But, I worked in market research with some very large brands early in my career, and although I can’t speak to Disney specifically, I can say that this type of data manipulation/leading/etc is sadly very common in market research, generally speaking.
It really is...and that is mostly the point I was trying to make, so thank you for your contribution. The fact of the matter is that when someone asks for a survey to be performed, they already have an end goal in mind, and whether they mean to or not, that bias makes its way into their survey. It's unavoidable because all of our choices/ideas/etc. are colored by our individual knowledge and experience.

If you read any survey closely enough, you can find bias. I used the Hollywood Studios re-naming survey as an example because it was pretty obvious that whoever created the survey didn't want the park re-named, so they made the choices all pretty terrible.

If you look at the verbiage of the Boarding Group survey...

rise-restistance-star-wars-survey-1.jpg

Note that both the first choice and the third choice contain verbiage that will evoke a negative feeling from those reading them. "even if I can't choose when I will ride" and "even if I have to wait a long time". Those parts of the sentences aren't necessary for the survey at all - they were injected specifically to color the reader's response. The use of the word "traditional" is also interesting, as "traditional" generally equates to feelings of nostalgia, and it appears in two of the survey questions.

ETA: If I were a gambling kind of gal, I'd put money on option #2 being the one they want to see be chosen most.

Pic from Blog Mickey

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom