Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

el_super

2500 actual pph is a major requirement to lean on a ride. For Disney that would mean an Omnimover, a "boat" ride, or multiple "tracks".

And i would guess we all understand how "popular" the Navi River Journey and Little Mermaid rides are... Despite their higher capacity.

As much as I would love to see a very high capacity coaster like Dueling Dragons deployed, I suspect that the APs would come out of the walls about how Disney isn't supposed to be Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

Exactly right. How many would have complained if all they delivered was another themed roller coaster playing star wars music versus something new? I remember all the complaints about Pooh not utilizing the trackless ride tech from Tokyo, and now that DL finally got a trackless ride... And folks wish they didn't? Hmmmmm.

TP2000

I live in Seattle and was going to take a trip early spring but have moved my trip to September because no way I'm spending the money to not be able to do this.

I don't blame you. Mr. Chapek and Mr. Trowbridge don't understand that at all though, because they always get a Guest Relations kid in a plaid vest to whisk their families in through the exit of any ride they want.

Heck, I live just 20 minutes away and have decided to try my shot at this next month, but I've only paired that with a sensible 9am park opening and a craving for breakfast at the International House of Pancakes. If I don't get a Boarding Group less than 60 I will be disappointed, but at least I will have had some Silver Dollar pancakes. But that's not how Disneyland is supposed to work and not how it's supposed to attract customers.

Today is doing better for the ride. Yesterday's fog and low overcast lifted and it's sunny and warm with a 9am park opening. Boarding Groups were gone within moments and the ride opened for the day at 9:15. Currently at Boarding Group 54.

And in more happy news, Millennium Falcon: Target Run only has a 25 minute wait! Pirates of the Caribbean currently has a 20 minute wait. Six month old Star Wars E Ticket that gets 1,700 passengers per hour with a height requirement has a wait time 5 minutes longer than the 53 year old pirates E Ticket that gets 2,800 passengers per hour with no height requirement.

I'm pretty sure that's not how this was supposed to go for Star Wars Land. :oops:

Last edited:

el_super

So. Those who have gone, those who are watching such things closely. If you are there, hitting your Join Boarding
Group button at 8AM on the second, how may disappointed people are there? Do most get in?

I don't know. I just don't know.

Some days the backup boarding groups have lasted for 30-40 minutes after opening. Sure its not a gaurantee, but it is still something. Who knows what Spring Break will bring though. So far there have been more success stories posted here than not though, and if you have three days to try, I'd say you odds are pretty good.

But like all things, nothing is really certain. If it is that important to see, maybe you could wait.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I just can't believe the ride wasn't designed to push more people through. I mean, the whole thing with this Star Wars expansion from the start was boasting about its size. Largest themed expansion ever. The Rise of the Resistance building is massive. Never in a million years did I think it would have such low capacity. You just assume that biggest = more people, but Galaxy Edge has subverted our expectations from the get-go with the summer of ghost town and now an average of maybe 10,000 people (?) a day who are lucky enough to be able to get on Rise.
The square footage of RotR (including queue) is only 60% of the area RSR takes. Add the second floor of Rise and they are near equal. Yet, RsR with it's larger land footprint only sports about 1400-1500 riders per hour. If Rise does eventually make it to 1700 an hour, your whole physical size vs. riders per hour theory becomes debunked.

Why do people have the mentality that all things must be created equal at all times? Makes for lousy comparisons. Apples and Oranges aren't the same.

Atomicmickey

Some days the backup boarding groups have lasted for 30-40 minutes after opening. Sure its not a gaurantee, but it is still something. Who knows what Spring Break will bring though. So far there have been more success stories posted here than not though, and if you have three days to try, I'd say you odds are pretty good.

But like all things, nothing is really certain. If it is that important to see, maybe you could wait.

Thanks! Yeah I am going to be watching closely over the next few weeks to see how things go. I know of course there
is no guarantee. I have a hotel and rental car booked, because they can be cancelled, but at some point I need to
pull the trigger on flights . . . .

So, of course, thankful for the forum here!

Disney Analyst

Even if it does get to 1700, it’s not great. They have to find a way to give us modern attractions that can eat 2500 people an hour and still be impressive and fun at the same time. They can do it. They have the money and resources. They just have to want to do it and not cut corners.

I think realistically, if you want unique and interesting systems you’ll find 2,500 is just not going to happen as much. I think Disney needs to find a balance between offering attractions that are major people-eaters and attractions that are going to be insane but can handle 1,700 to 1,900 an hour. They should never be going under 1,500 unless it’s a spinner that no one cares about.

mickEblu

I think realistically, if you want unique and interesting systems you’ll find 2,500 is just not going to happen as much. I think Disney needs to find a balance between offering attractions that are major people-eaters and attractions that are going to be insane but can handle 1,700 to 1,900 an hour. They should never be going under 1,500 unless it’s a spinner that no one cares about.

It may not happen as much but we haven’t had an E Ticket at DL in 25 years. They should have made capacity a higher priority. Also I’m one that has repeatedly said I don’t need these crazy high tech rides. I find often that the sum (fun) is often less than all its parts. Give me a good old fashioned themed and repeatable roller coaster any day.

mickEblu

2500 actual pph is a major requirement to lean on a ride. For Disney that would mean an Omnimover, a "boat" ride, or multiple "tracks". RotR probably could do 2500+, if they added more rows. Then after resizing the preshows/elements, they would have Shanghai's Pirates without the water.

As much as I would love to see a very high capacity coaster like Dueling Dragons deployed, I suspect that the APs would come out of the walls about how Disney isn't supposed to be Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

Edit: Also since Hagrid's Coaster cost 300 million, I can't even fathom the price tag that RotR ending at.

No, I think AP’s would love a repeatable well themed coaster/ thrill ride.

I haven’t rode ROTR yet (riding Sunday hopefully) but does the trackless element add that much to the attraction? I don’t see many people talking about that. Tracks defintley would have made it more reliable.

SoCalMort

I haven’t rode ROTR yet (riding Sunday hopefully) but does the trackless element add that much to the attraction? I don’t see many people talking about that. Tracks defintley would have made it more reliable.

I don't want to spoil things but what I thought was one of the most impressive moments on the ride just wouldn't be possible with a track.

Mickeyboof

And i would guess we all understand how "popular" the Navi River Journey and Little Mermaid rides are... Despite their higher capacity.

Exactly right. How many would have complained if all they delivered was another themed roller coaster playing star wars music versus something new? I remember all the complaints about Pooh not utilizing the trackless ride tech from Tokyo, and now that DL finally got a trackless ride... And folks wish they didn't? Hmmmmm.

Yeah, high capacity rides SUCK!

Bob & Bob would love to have you at their meetings to share your agreeable insights.

(Now that you mention it, a roller coaster playing star wars music sounds really fun in a star wars land...)

lumberguy5

(Now that you mention it, a roller coaster playing star wars music sounds really fun in a star wars land...)

Dueling Dragons is not close to any attraction Disney has. Two tracks with 6 trains, with 4 seats across for 32 riders per dispatch. The track size forces a large layout with high speed to be exciting. Theming beyond music selection is almost impossible as rider vision is heavily obscured for the middle seats. But that was a 3000+ pph ride. If they do a Star Wars Coaster, it will probably be targeted around 2000 pph as that is what most of the Disney Coasters are at.

So. Those who have gone, those who are watching such things closely. If you are there, hitting your Join Boarding
Group button at 8AM on the second, how may disappointed people are there? Do most get in?

I don't know. I just don't know.

I was watching this fresh baked clip today to see how it all looks right at park open. They mentioned how cool it is to hear the screams of excitement when people do get on but you may notice some of those in the background who don’t look quite as happy and appear to still be trying their luck. There are all sorts of videos up showing the best strategies but this one was cool because it’s actually live footage of a lot of people going through the process on Main St.

Mickeyboof

Dueling Dragons is not close to any attraction Disney has. Two tracks with 6 trains, with 4 seats across for 32 riders per dispatch. The track size forces a large layout with high speed to be exciting. Theming beyond music selection is almost impossible as rider vision is heavily obscured for the middle seats. But that was a 3000+ pph ride. If they do a Star Wars Coaster, it will probably be targeted around 2000 pph as that is what most of the Disney Coasters are at.

I... didn’t say dueling dragons...

They could toss in a more elaborate Hyperspace Mountain from Disneyland Paris and the land would be so much more elevated and thrilling.

el_super

Rise has been open for eight hours so far today, and still averaging over 10.2 boarding groups per hour. If we are going with earlier estimates on boarding group size, it's spent most of the day pushing through over 1,000 people per hour.

Boarding Group 86 At 5:30 PM.

el_super

Looks like they called group 123 a little after 9PM and maintained the 10.2 groups per hour average for all 12 hours of operation. The chart from thrill-data shows a pretty good run for today:

20200127_221354.jpg

Darkbeer1

OK, I have some free time before going to bed. (Tomorrow is City Hall fun stuff, Mid-Year Budget review followed by a Council Meeting). After Monday night's meeting, went to Kaiser Urgent care, my wife tripped this afternoon while walking on her break....

So, let's look back at history, what Walt first built in 1955 didn't really take into consideration how many folks per hour the attraction could handle, he was more focused on the amount of attractions he could offer to his guests.

But over 1 Million guests the first summer had to make him think about ride coupon sales, and how to create more revenue.

At the same time, the New York World's Fair was starting to plan, and they expected large crowds and asked its vendors/sponsors to make sure they could handle large crowds. Walt Disney wanted to be a major vendor, and had his team to figure out attractions that could handle large crowds.

And the work began, we can see what Walt offered at the World's Fair.

And you can see it at Disneyland. The Matterhorn had two separate tracks, Tomorrowland got Adventures through Inner Space (Omnimover), Flight to the Moon (two theaters), Circle Vision, large 360 degree theater with preshow and PeopleMover.

Then when got to build the Tiki Room, which had a great preshow, but the theaters was of decent, but not great size, he went with an upcharge at first. (Special tickets more expensive than an E ticket).

And he brought the World's Fair attractions back to Anaheim, with their great people eater volumes.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and after his death, Country Bear Jamboree and Splash Mountain. All high volume attractions.

Theme Parks and its owners always look at expected PPH when building/buying new attractions. It is an important part of the decision making into what to add and what not to add.

Look at the extreme measures Disney took last summer to try and mitigate the large, expected crowds. While they didn't show up, what would have happened. a low percentage of AP holders and locals (limited CM sign ins), instead tourists and other high paying guests.

What would been the reaction if RotR was operating with the limited hours, PPH and breakdowns. I think Disney would have had a different type of marketing issues, with all the negative guest reviews complaining they couldn't get onto RotR.

They designed Smuggler's Run with multiple theaters to increase capacity.

Why didn't Disney build two sides to RotR, to help out with both capacity, but also with down time, as more than likely, one side could keep operating ?

How much more would have it been to build one more theater building, and outfit it? If the whole land cost $1 Billion, we can guess at $100 to $200 Million. And then you could have looked at offering MaxPass Plus and create additional income.

Not sure what happened in those Management Meetings and discussions with WDI.. But something failed!

Need some sleep, but I think President's Day Week in Mid-February will be a major test to see how Disney handles large crowds, large percentage of out of towners, long hours for over a week straight, etc.

el_super

From an engineering standpoint is it not possible to have built the same attraction but with bigger vehicles from the ground up?

Possibly, but as I think on to the other versions of the wireless/trackless vehicles they have deployed (Ratatouille in France, Mystic Manor in HK and even Luigi's at DLR), they are all fairly small vehicles. I think from an engineering perspective, the weakness link would be the wireless charging and how to recharge vehicles with bigger batteries and bigger motors as quickly as possible. If WDI did their homework, they would have picked a wireless charging system that delivered reliability over volume, since they know it needs to run constantly for 16 hours a day (well ... at least eventually).

From what I have seen so far, the biggest hold up of the attraction (and really any attraction in the 21st century) has been the loading process. They assign the guests colors in order to facilitate boarding, and it's impossible for guests to figure out which color goes with which vehicle and which row. I've seen parties get split up and loaded into different vehicles, only to get up and move around again to try to correct their mistakes. All the while people are still having issues with their belts, the CMs are still trying to do belt checks and vehicles are backing up behind them.

It seems the vehicles are sitting at load for too long (all while the CMs are hilariously shouting to hurry). That ends up increasing the cycle time and reducing capacity. I can speculate further on some of the reasons the loading is so problematic but to stay spoiler free I will just leave it as people being too engrossed in the show.

But who knows... Maybe in the future they will find better wireless chargers, build bigger vehicles and maybe the guests will figure out what colors are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom