Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Mickeyboof

I wonder how much Operations labor this ride is costing them, and what the long term goal is.

Anyone know if the ride CMs are being double staffed, like was reported of WDW? Curious if backstage there are additional operations CMs as well (sorry, not sure the title for those engineers who return rides to operational states).

nesboy43

Advertisement
Honestly even though I am very lucky and got on the ride, the process was super stressful. I think they really need to do advance reservations.

I like showing up at ropedrop but the fact is that the processs made my day stressful and not fun.

Just to give everyone an idea of what is at play here, my wife and I opened the app at the same second. I have an Iphone XS, she has an 11 pro. By the time she was clicking the button to get a boarding group, mine was still in the fireworks animation.

This is what we are dealing with, a battle of whos phone is fastest.

Disney needs to just have a line for the ride or reservations.

Part of me thinks the lottery system was made due to greed of them wanting ticket sales or AP visits (food/merch/parking sales) for people just trying to get a chance to go on the new ride.

I'd be curious to see the statistics of how many people are in the park at 8 vs how many got on the attraction.

nesboy43

I purposely held off on responding to this, not because I was drinking Cabernet, but because I didn't want to jinx it for you.

But it appears that they are already done for the day. Since Friday they have closed the ride daily before 10pm, regardless of whether the ride has been running for the previous hour or not. My only guess is that this is a strategy to allow extra hours for nightly maintenance work, particularly because DHS never stays open past 10pm but Disneyland is routinely open until Midnight. That's just.... dumb. 🧐

And is this the first major ride in Disneyland history that purposely closes before park closing time? (Not including daylight only rides like the Canoes or Tom Sawyer Island, obviously)

I think this daily planned early closing time is a Disneyland first, and obviously the slimy underbelly of the Boarding Group technical capabilities. :(

But let's review today, Sunday, January 19th with an 8am to Midnight operation for Disneyland. A holiday weekend.

The Resistance ride opened late, with the first Boarding Group called at 9:35am. Then it had 5 hours and 15 minutes of sporadic downtimes during the day, with about 5 hours and 45 minutes of even more sporadic operation. The ride then closed early for the night at 8:25 with the last Boarding Group called at 81, even though Disneyland is open until Midnight. So that gets us....

Disneyland Operation 8am to Midnight = 16 Hours
Resistance Ride Late Opening & Early Closure = 5 Hours
Resistance Ride Breakdowns = 5 Hours 15 Minutes
Resistance Ride Total Operating Hours = 5 Hours 45 Minutes

Yikes! :oops:

At least the fireworks looked nice tonight.
To me this shows that the ride was not ready. Innovation and rides of this scale take time to make, but they should have delayed it more (on both coasts). The fact that the ride is closed between 10pm and 930am each day shows me there are a lot of issues that aren't worked out.

Hopefully in the future they learn to delay rides til they are finally ready.

disneygeek90

There is one more way to add capacity, the Jungle Cruise method.

Many old timers remember when the skipper used the half speed during the cruise, with stops and long dialogue.

Today, you feel the skipper is on a race to beat the fastest time set by another skipper.

So, can Disney find ways to shorten the total experience?
It doesn’t feel like speeding it up would be a possibility. Aside from detracting from the experience, the whole ride portion is very meticulous and highly technical. I would fear even more downtime if they tried to mess with the speed of the cars and overloading the sensors, effects and AA’s.

NateD1226

Good luck to anyone trying to ride it today. I am worried that with it being a holiday, the extreme amount of downtime yesterday, and half of the effects still not working is going to lead to today being a rough day.

flutas

From what I could tell by sitting on my couch in Florida, normal groups went in about 30 seconds and the backups were filled by 8:01.

For comparison, the backups in WDW today were gone at 8:40, 7am open.

About 17 seconds according to my monitoring. Backup groups were gone in 44 seconds after opening.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 8.47.53 AM.png

Interestingly enough a test queue showed up this morning as well with the title "BP Test Queue - DO NOT USE." So maybe they are testing some changes to the general flow for it.

flynnibus

About 17 seconds according to my monitoring. Backup groups were gone in 44 seconds after opening.

View attachment 442493

Interestingly enough a test queue showed up this morning as well with the title "BP Test Queue - DO NOT USE." So maybe they are testing some changes to the general flow for it.
Are you poling the api the app uses or monitoring elements in the app?

DrAlice

This is what we are dealing with, a battle of whos phone is fastest..
Ugh. As someone with a relatively slow smart phone ("average intelligence phone"), this makes me a bit cranky. I'm hoping this calms down a bit before we get there in July. Otherwise, I'll have a disappointed 8 year old to deal with. I'll start prepping her for disappointment now, I guess.

Phrubruh

I'm guessing things will settle down by June if not March. The AP crowd will have already figured out a way to see it and the virtual fast pass will be gone. It happen that way for Target Run and Pixar Pier.

Top Bottom