Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Dapale

Rode today with group 19 around 8:45am. Everything was working, except canons were in B mode (1/3 canons moving)

Another observation:
Barely anyone shows up to the attraction at the beginning of the day. They don’t call enough groups and waste like a solid hour of capacity because of it. This is definitely an argument for standby to make it’s way to Disneyland’s version like Disney World’s version. (To be fair, it makes MORE sense to be standby here than it does over there. Wayyyy more overall ride capacity at Disneyland than Hollywood Studios)

I ended up going through all the preshows with one family and ended up in a ride vehicle all by myself. Definitely an interesting experience!

Dapale

Rode yesterday with group 23 around 9am. Everything was working, except canons were in B mode (1/3 canons moving). Even though the canons were in B mode, our vehicles acted as if the scene was in A mode (they didn't move backwards). This was reported to have occurred at WDW's version recently as well. Not sure exactly what that might mean, just wanted to provide more information :)

truecoat

Rode yesterday with group 23 around 9am. Everything was working, except canons were in B mode (1/3 canons moving). Even though the canons were in B mode, our vehicles acted as if the scene was in A mode (they didn't move backwards). This was reported to have occurred at WDW's version recently as well. Not sure exactly what that might mean, just wanted to provide more information :)

How long has it been in B mode? It was that way back in mid August.

Dapale

How long has it been in B mode? It was that way back in mid August.
Unfortunately it seems like it's been in B mode for at least a few months now. I was happy when DL reopened and they were in A mode for quite a bit (compared to WDW's constant B mode). Unfortunate that such an integral part of the scene may just be neglected :(

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I watched a recently-filmed POV (LMG Vids, I think) and the CMs were not playing their characters like they used to. In the room where you board the trackless vehicles, there was no "Hurry! We gotta get you out of here before the First Order catches us!" or whatever. Just a soulless shrieking of the safety spiel. Truly depressing stuff!

Dapale

Why does it feel like the whole ride experience is in B mode?
Depends on what you mean by that. I haven't experienced Rise west with any issues recently (other than B mode canons). It could just be because I'm always riding it as one of the first guests every morning 🤣

mickEblu

Depends on what you mean by that. I haven't experienced Rise west with any issues recently (other than B mode canons). It could just be because I'm always riding it as one of the first guests every morning 🤣

What I meant to say is that the ride is missing a certain je ne sais qoui for me. I think the best thing the ride has going for it - it’s scale- also hurts it by leaving a lot of large empty areas. Maybe it’s not even that the empty areas are so large but that it gives you time to realize you re in a cold, sterile Star destroyer. So maybe that’s just not an atmosphere I want to be in or the kind of escapism I’m into. I’m more into the waterfall in the outdoor queue or the that awesome unloading area at the end of the ride. I think a little more thrill or element of danger would have balanced out the cold/ sterile nature of the Star Destroyer for me.

It all reminds me of the brilliance of Pirates that has the huge scale too with the battle ship scene but also it’s intimate moments in the caverns or the jail cell scene. I’m not even sure it was purposely done. Like I don’t think imagineers said “hey it would be really great to show off this huge scale and then have these intimate moments.” I think it’s just kind of what happens when you have a bunch of really creative, talented people working on something out of love (with no creative shackles on) trying to impress Walt.

Last edited:

Dapale

What I meant to say is that the ride is missing a certain je ne sais qoui for me. I think the best thing the ride has going for it - it’s scale- also hurts it by leaving a lot of large empty areas. Maybe it’s not even that the empty areas are so large but that it gives you time to realize you re in a cold, sterile Star destroyer. So maybe that’s just an atmosphere I want to be in or the kind of escapism I’m into. I’m more into the waterfall in the outdoor queue or the that awesome unloading area at the end of the ride. I think a little more thrill or element of danger would have balanced out the cold/ sterile nature of the Star Destroyer for me.

It all reminds me of the brilliance of Pirates that has the huge scale too with the battle ship scene but also it’s intimate moments in the caverns or the jail cell scene. I’m not even sure it was purposely done. Like I don’t think imagineers said “hey it would be really great to show off this huge scale and then have these intimate moments.” I think it’s just kind of what happens when you have a bunch of really creative, talented people working on something out of love (with no creative shackles on) trying to impress Walt.
Oh definitely. After riding many times (probably way too many times), I definitely have been losing my enthusiasm that I had originally. As much as Indi is missing effects (which really sucks), I still find it a MUCH more exciting attraction and the environments way more interesting to be in. Ignoring excitement, as you mentioned, Pirates is a great example of a creative use of space. A lot of older rides beat out Rise in terms of their interesting environments.

When it comes to Rise, as cool as the star destroyer hanger is, its honestly such a huge amount of space to be used for a room people are in just to walk to the next room almost immediately. I feel like the space could've been utilized a bit differently (i.e. a longer attraction portion), but it is what it is. Rise is still a great attraction but I'm not sure how long I'm going to be willing to wake up early just to get a group for it. Maybe I'll have to start doing the 12pm one if I want to ride it 🤣

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Awesome. The plexiglass in the vehicle looked pretty deleterious to the ride experience. I’m going in December; it’ll be the first time for a couple friends, so I’m hoping the ride is in pretty good shape.

smooch

Rode yesterday and the guns are still not moving and Kylo Ren was in B mode with the screens. It was our 5th time so no big deal and the ride is still awesome but still . . .
I might be going for the first time in years in January and my gf and I really hope we can get a group for RotR. Hopefully the guns will be working and Kylo won't be in B mode still, but knowing Disney I doubt it'll be fixed by then.

Dapale

Rode Rise 3 times today (first ride @ 11:40am) with group 55. Everything besides the canons was working and Kylo was in A mode (note: the secondary “falling” piece next to kylo that hasn’t worked in awhile was working today!).

I noticed small motion sensors installed on each side of every canon. Does anyone know if these are new or if they have been there before? They look like they’re separate from the set / not planned to be there.

Sailor310

Rode Rise 3 times today (first ride @ 11:40am) with group 55. Everything besides the canons was working and Kylo was in A mode (note: the secondary “falling” piece next to kylo that hasn’t worked in awhile was working today!).

I noticed small motion sensors installed on each side of every canon. Does anyone know if these are new or if they have been there before? They look like they’re separate from the set / not planned to be there.
How in the world did you ride it three times?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom