Star Wars Rise of the Resistance Discussion

DanielBB8

Rise of the Resistance will make or break the land. There's no other way around it. As much as I hate Batuu, a terrific ride will drive interest in everything else in the land. Everything will be in better focus. The cherry on top is whether Rise of Skywalker proves to be a crowd pleaser. However, even a good ride or movie can be perceived as bad. That what some said about Solo, although I tried to watch it on Netflix and couldn't handle the new Han Solo who looks nothing like Han Solo and worse in personality. It was bad casting. He was too close in age to Harrison Ford (not in looks) in the Original Trilogy. They should have casted an 18 year old kid as Han Solo. Oh well. They blew it.

Phroobar

There is only one group that is cranky than Star Wars fans. Disney fans. Nothing makes us happy but we still give them money.

SuddenStorm

Yes, it's Californians' fault Disney made so many terrible decisions as of late, cockily delivered an underwhelming attraction that no one showed up to, charged more money etc. and turned the resort into a ghost town. It's got to be the "cranky Californians".

That article is swill.

Agreed. Very little actual substance in the article, which also comes across as a desperate attempt to replicate Al Lutz's tone. Perhaps Micechat needs to get Troy, er, tp2000 to start ghostwriting...

planodisney

Yes, it's Californians' fault Disney made so many terrible decisions as of late, cockily delivered an underwhelming attraction that no one showed up to, charged more money etc. and turned the resort into a ghost town. It's got to be the "cranky Californians".

That article is swill.
I don’t know about cranky Californians, but much more difficult to please/figure out, I think is more accurate.
1 billion dollar expansions are empty but locals flood the place in mass for new popcorn buckets, special pin giveaways and MSEP returning for the 100th time. It doesn’t take a genius to finally figure out major investment in Anaheim is pointless.
I’m saying this as what I believe THEIR TAKEAWAY will be. This scared me all along. I know the response hasn’t been massive in Orlando either, but the general consensus and response seems to be much more positive/enthusiastic at DHS. I want to see what happens when busy season starts back up in Orlando, last week of September through the holidays.
But, this is such a small mystery compared to my real concern of what’s happened to California collegiate sports being competitive on a national level anymore. But I digress.

Snow Queen

While I generally agree with that assessment, there hasn't been a Star Wars film nearly as bad as Indy 4. There also hasn't been a Star Wars film nearly as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Isn't there though?
giphy.gif

DanielBB8

I don’t know about cranky Californians, but much more difficult to please/figure out, I think is more accurate.
1 billion dollar expansions are empty but locals flood the place in mass for new popcorn buckets, special pin giveaways and MSEP returning for the 100th time. It doesn’t take a genius to finally figure out major investment in Anaheim is pointless.
I’m saying this as what I believe THEIR TAKEAWAY will be. This scared me all along. I know the response hasn’t been massive in Orlando either, but the general consensus and response seems to be much more positive/enthusiastic at DHS. I want to see what happens when busy season starts back up in Orlando, last week of September through the holidays.
But, this is such a small mystery compared to my real concern of what’s happened to California collegiate sports being competitive on a national level anymore. But I digress.
The massive response in Orlando was a response to how they handled it at Anaheim, but this isn't lasting either. The price increases in Orlando already dampened attendance to be much less than usual. Smugglers Run is less popular than Avatar's Flight of Passage at this point. From my WDW app, Smugglers Run is showing 40 minutes wait while Flight of Passage is showing 60 minutes wait. Navi River Journey is showing 40 minutes wait. Disneyland's Smugglers Run is 35 minutes wait.

wityblack

I am confused by the thought process that this one ride will somehow turn around the land...

Disney does a mediocre job with the ROA redo and botches Fantasmic.

They botch GotG Mission OVERLAY and Pixar Pier.

They botch Galaxy's Edge.

How are we expecting them to somehow turn around with this ride? Money isn't the issue, each project received a healthy budget. Creative talent isn't the issue, theoretically Lucasfilm, Pixar, Marvel, and WDI are the best in the business.
The Rivers of America redo is honestly gorgeous. I mean, yes, they could have opened Fort Wilderness, but that's nitpicky. New Fantasmic isn't perfect, but it definitely has a lot of improvements over the original, especially in the infrastructure. I feel like no one talks about the good things, but focus on the bad. The new projection mappings, updated sound system, updated water projections, addition of the Aladdin scene, and so many general improvements make the show really shine. Yes, the Pirates sequence isn't as memorable, and they couldn't get the projection mapping to work on the ship, and although I personally like Peter Pan more than Pirates, the choreography is still great, and the energy is spot on. Plus it actually ties into the island, unlike the Peter Pan sequence.

BubbaisSleep

The Rivers of America redo is honestly gorgeous. I mean, yes, they could have opened Fort Wilderness, but that's nitpicky. New Fantasmic isn't perfect, but it definitely has a lot of improvements over the original, especially in the infrastructure. I feel like no one talks about the good things, but focus on the bad. The new projection mappings, updated sound system, updated water projections, addition of the Aladdin scene, and so many general improvements make the show really shine. Yes, the Pirates sequence isn't as memorable, and they couldn't get the projection mapping to work on the ship, and although I personally like Peter Pan more than Pirates, the choreography is still great, and the energy is spot on. Plus it actually ties into the island, unlike the Peter Pan sequence.
I'm highly confused about the ROA statement as well. Disney did amazing with this project & when building this new land they really did consider the impact this land would have so they designed it so well to blend it with Disneyland. I enjoy the new additions to the river as well. Things change over time, this project was done with Disney's fans in mind & the ride is hardly changed. I can totally understand the rest of their opinions though but I think the only thing really butchered or was done cheaply was Pixar Pier. Guardians is a great ride I just wish it was it's own ride instead of taking over Tower. Fantastic is still a fun show, one scene doesn't butcher anything. Galaxy's Edge needs simple improvements but butchered would mean it lacks soul and aesthetics like DCA 1.0. I can understand being disappointed but butchered is a bit dramatic.

SuddenStorm

New Fantasmic is absolute garbage.

I was gearing up for a long winded post about how the new rivers replaced actual nature with static animals and artificial rock work that doesn't all immerse you or make you feel isolated from the park, and how the new Fantasmic traded soul for some flashy projections and better sound- but didn't want to derail the thread.

So I'll just say that I really hope Rise of the Resistance is able to do what Indiana Jones Adventure did- feel like a real lived in space while simultaneously using state of the art technology in a way that enhances the show without distracting it. All while retaining the charm that's essential for a Disneyland ride to become classic, and using actual detail (not hidden mickey type details) to deliver a rich environment that rewards re rides

Too often Disney will design a show or ride around a specific technology without a solid creative vision and it shows. Disneyland Forever fireworks use the show segments it does because they wanted to show off projection mapping for example. World of Color relied on clips straight from Disney films because that's all the format really permits. Indiana Jones Adventure and Fantasmic (the original) were amazing because they used state of the art technology to deliver a creative vision, giving us attractions that remain relevant far after the technology has become dated.

SuddenStorm

butchered would mean it lacks soul and aesthetics like DCA 1.0.

I'll take the bait. What didn't they butcher with Galaxy's Edge? So far they've delivered one mediocre attraction, mediocre food, weird and overpriced merchandise, overpriced and average drinks at an incredibly low capacity cantina, and two $100+ 'attractions' that command long wait times and reservations months in advance.

All while immersing you in an environment that feels so unlike Disneyland, most guests at Disneyland forget it's there.

This ignores the myriad of marketing mistakes Disney has made with the land.

And somehow in the next 5 months they're going to debut an attraction that will turn it around? And their marketing team will somehow learn how to do their jobs and get people to actually come out and see it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom