Star Wars Rise of the Resistance Discussion

mandelbrot

I'll take the bait. What didn't they butcher with Galaxy's Edge? So far they've delivered one mediocre attraction, mediocre food, weird and overpriced merchandise, overpriced and average drinks at an incredibly low capacity cantina, and two $100+ 'attractions' that command long wait times and reservations months in advance.

All while immersing you in an environment that feels so unlike Disneyland, most guests at Disneyland forget it's there.

This ignores the myriad of marketing mistakes Disney has made with the land.

And somehow in the next 5 months they're going to debut an attraction that will turn it around? And their marketing team will somehow learn how to do their jobs and get people to actually come out and see it?
They absolutely butchered the debut of Galaxy's Edge but the bones are good. They could easily bring in more entertainment. They could easily improve interactivity in the land via the app. They could soften the rules about what to wear and about wielding lightsabers. They could easily introduce OT characters. They could drop the prices on the lightsaber experience and offer cheaper alternatives to droid building. They could offer alcohol in more places to soften the crush on Oga's. They could generally relax the entire vibe of the place by letting cast members do the jobs they are being paid for and let actors do the jobs that were designed into the land. They could build and open their planned sit-down restaurant which will give guests the highly themed dining experience that's currently missing. They could realize that jacking up prices before the guests see the value in what they're getting is a huge mistake. They could add or replace missions on Smuggler's Run.

They could open their signature mega-attraction and realize that guests always respond to great rides more than themed lands.

Or they can stand pat and claim that what they offered initially was what was intended all along and come to terms with the fact that cranky California customers have an understanding of what value to expect for their money.

180º

RotR (Rotter) is the first big E-ticket ride Disney's ever created that I have zero interest in riding. The new trilogy is garbage storytelling and the ride looks sterile, dreary, and completely lacking in character. I look forward to the ride's inevitable makeover into something that's actually appealing.
Harsh. I’m really looking forward to ROTR. I’d like to think of it as a really really really elaborate Snow White’s Scary Adventures, which excites me.

Your opinion of the sequel trilogy aside, Pirates of the Caribbean didn’t lack character before it added beloved characters from the movies, and Waterworld’s garbage storytelling begat a pretty great stunt show, complete with garbage characters from its garbage story, that’s been going strong for over 20 years. :)

britain

Harsh. I’m really looking forward to ROTR. I’d like to think of it as a really really really elaborate Snow White’s Scary Adventures, which excites me.

Your opinion of the sequel trilogy aside, Pirates of the Caribbean didn’t lack character before it added beloved characters from the movies, and Waterworld’s garbage storytelling begat a pretty great stunt show, complete with garbage characters from its garbage story, that’s been going strong for over 20 years. :)

I get what you mean, as far as being chased by the witch/kylo.

Rich T

...But this ride is going to be insane.
Insanely overhyped! :D Kidding. I'm hoping this ride lives up to its potential, because I really would like to see it rethemed/reworked to a more appealing storyline in the future. While I do think Disney has fumbled their new SW trilogy in more ways than anyone could have guessed, I've always thought making GE a generic, easily-adaptable world was a good way to fail-proof the investment.

Rich T

... Waterworld’s garbage storytelling begat a pretty great stunt show, complete with garbage characters from its garbage story, that’s been going strong for over 20 years. :)
That's an excellent point. If RotR can stand on its own as a great, fun ride that can be enjoyed by people who don't care for current SW, then that's really all that matters (exceptthatitshouldn'tbeinDisneylandinthefirstplacebutthat'swaterunderthebridgeandokayI'llshutupnow). :)

BubbaisSleep

I'll take the bait. What didn't they butcher with Galaxy's Edge? So far they've delivered one mediocre attraction, mediocre food, weird and overpriced merchandise, overpriced and average drinks at an incredibly low capacity cantina, and two $100+ 'attractions' that command long wait times and reservations months in advance.

All while immersing you in an environment that feels so unlike Disneyland, most guests at Disneyland forget it's there.

This ignores the myriad of marketing mistakes Disney has made with the land.

And somehow in the next 5 months they're going to debut an attraction that will turn it around? And their marketing team will somehow learn how to do their jobs and get people to actually come out and see it?
I still can’t agree with butcher. The bones & foundation of the land are great. And I totally agree changes need to happen. But they don’t need to desconstruct and build over the land like they needed to with DCA 1.0. It’s simple changes that can transform this land into something amazing. Not a 2 year long construction process. Therefore, I think butchered is dramatic. Who knows how great the second ride will be as well. I feel like those who are disappointed are rightly so and I won’t take away from that. I had an great time in the land myself.

Snow Queen

Pretty sure this is new. Found it on Reddit so probably better not to link there:
3ix0qsredmo31.jpg

TROR

Looks slick, but I can't figure what part of Rise it's part of. I thought, as soon as exiting the captured Rebel transport, you're inside the hangar where you're loaded into the prisoner transport. Is it part of the Resistance base portion of the queue?

britain

Looks slick, but I can't figure what part of Rise it's part of. I thought, as soon as exiting the captured Rebel transport, you're inside the hangar where you're loaded into the prisoner transport. Is it part of the Resistance base portion of the queue?

The hangar is not the transport loading area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom