Star Wars Land

doctornick

Maybe we will see a Star Wars night time show after all.
This is from Orlando business Insider ( not sure how credible)

“There also have been conversations of re-themeing the Fantasmic! night show and introducing a new fireworks show with a Star Wars theme,” Emerson told me. The Fantasmic! show is on the opposite end of the theme park from its current Star Wars-themed area. He said that thought process by Disney shows the Mouse doesn’t see Star Wars as a ‘single area’ type of addition, but rather, as playing a larger role in the entire park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/06/star-wars-lands-influence-may-reach.html

I'm not a fan of this idea...

1. I like Fantasmic! and would much rather see it tweaked than removed. I know that's unpopular around here, as many are happy to slam the show, but I think it's very enjoyable, brings in a variety of characters and is pretty popular among most guests.
2. I don't really like the idea of having Star Wars all over the park. I love Star Wars, am excited for new additions (and hope they are substantial) but don't think having something on opposite ends of the park is a good idea. I also think that a show the size/scope of Fantasmic! shouldn't be tied to one IP.

If they want to do something entertainment wise for Star Wars, I'd prefer a parade in that section of the park. Or, I think the fireworks show from May 4th would be cool as a regular offering, though I think fireworks could be problematic because you have to shut down the back end (future Cars Land?) part of the park.

bubbles1812

Star Wars expansion is bug news. Biggest expansion in the history of the resort is crazy awesome.

I'm sure some insider will come on here and crush my dreams and excitement into fan boy tears.
No biggest expansion ever at a rumored cost for the whole DHS expansion of "just north of 200 million" from that other article... That won't even pay for an E ticket the way Disney runs things.

doctornick

No biggest expansion ever at a rumored cost for the whole DHS expansion of "just north of 200 million" from that other article... That won't even pay for an E ticket the way Disney runs things.

To be fair, the more recent blog from that author (already quoted earlier in this thread) says "That’s been the primary question about the hot topic of an estimated $200 million-plus Star Wars-based area reportedly being built at Disney’s Hollywood Studios."

That implies that the SW area alone would be $200M+ and other stuff (Cars/Pixar) would be on top of that. Granted, $200M+ still doesn't seem like that much for the "largest expansion in park history" but I could see that much allocated for just Star Wars. But if Avatar is getting $400-500M, then I would like to think they'd put the same amount towards SW.

CinematicFusion

To be fair, the more recent blog from that author (already quoted earlier in this thread) says "That’s been the primary question about the hot topic of an estimated $200 million-plus Star Wars-based area reportedly being built at Disney’s Hollywood Studios."

That implies that the SW area alone would be $200M+ and other stuff (Cars/Pixar) would be on top of that. Granted, $200M+ still doesn't seem like that much for the "largest expansion in park history" but I could see that much allocated for just Star Wars. But if Avatar is getting $400-500M, then I would like to think they'd put the same amount towards SW.

From the article...
“My understanding is the Star Wars expansion will be similar to the Harry Potter expansion featuring new aittractions, new creative merchandise and food and beverage options, as well as re-purposing older rides with the Star Wars theme,” said Chad Emerson, a Disney author and expert.

What rides would they re-purpose? Turn RNR into an indoor Death Star escape? Wonder what rides he is talking about?

doctornick

From the article...
“My understanding is the Star Wars expansion will be similar to the Harry Potter expansion featuring new aittractions, new creative merchandise and food and beverage options, as well as re-purposing older rides with the Star Wars theme,” said Chad Emerson, a Disney author and expert.

What rides would they re-purpose? Turn RNR into an indoor Death Star escape? Wonder what rides he is talking about?

Saw that and wondered the same question. I can only think that he used "ride" when he probably meant "attraction" and they would repurpose stuff like Muppetvision and American Idol Experience (and maybe counting Sounds Dangerous as well) into Star Wars shows. Or, even broader, repurposing other stuff like food or merch into Star Wars ones (in particular making one of the existing restaurants into Mos Eisley Cantina).

bubbles1812

Let's hope so. I'm even skeptical if they can do all they need with Avatar if they are on the $400 million side of that budget. Mean you think of how much the Mermaid QUEUE cost. $400 million just doesn't seem like that much when you think about that. So even say $250 million for Star Wars, with $500 million total for DHS... I don't know. I'm not saying you can't do a lot with that kind of money. But the way Disney builds stuff, they might just need $200 million for one E ticket. And that extra $50 mill would go towards a QS and merch shop. Hardly biggest expansion in history.

bubbles1812

From the article...

Yeah, the problem with repurposing rides at DHS is that there isn't exactly a whole lot of rides to repurpose... Unless he counts annihilating LMA and Backlot as repurposing? But that wouldn't be the case as it would just be repurposing the land, not the attractions themselves.

CinematicFusion

Saw that and wondered the same question. I can only think that he used "ride" when he probably meant "attraction" and they would repurpose stuff like Muppetvision and American Idol Experience (and maybe counting Sounds Dangerous as well) into Star Wars shows. Or, even broader, repurposing other stuff like food or merch into Star Wars ones (in particular making one of the existing restaurants into Mos Eisley Cantina).

Good call...that would make more sense.

NoChesterHester

Let's hope so. I'm even skeptical if they can do all they need with Avatar if they are on the $400 million side of that budget. Mean you think of how much the Mermaid QUEUE cost. $400 million just doesn't seem like that much when you think about that. So even say $250 million for Star Wars, with $500 million total for DHS... I don't know. I'm not saying you can't do a lot with that kind of money. But the way Disney builds stuff, they might just need $200 million for one E ticket. And that extra $50 mill would go towards a QS and merch shop. Hardly biggest expansion in history.

Jeeze... Locked in like a laser beam.

Don't lock in on $200 million. Remember, in the real world $200 million is a ton of money and moves a lot of dirt. The author used "north of 200 million," but his source may not have given good info. To a business crowd, $200 million is an entire corporate campus from scratch.

NoChesterHester

Or the $200 million could be incorrect information.

Don't forget, there's a HUGE difference between total development cost and construction cost. Lets say this is $200 million of hard construction cost, which is a monster number by the way.

What does that include? Ride system - unlikely - that would be direct from vendor. Art - nope - WDI performed or contracted directly. Architecture, Engineering, Legal, Company Overhead, and R&D - no way that would be in a hard construction cost number. Furniture, Fixtures, and Equipment would be by owner, not by contractor... All a hard construction cost number would include would be the labor, materials, and overhead for a general contractor to construct the actual site and buildings (including structural, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing.)

Feel better? You don't know the source, or what the quoted number even entails.

I posted elsewhere that if a $100 million dollar e-ticket were announced this board would trash it for cheap. All someone had to say was "North of 200" and you would think he shot someone's dog.

bubbles1812

Jeeze... Locked in like a laser beam.

Don't lock in on $200 million. Remember, in the real world $200 million is a ton of money and moves a lot of dirt. The author used "north of 200 million," but his source may not have given good info. To a business crowd, $200 million is an entire corporate campus from scratch.
Im not. And never said I was absolutely believing it would be 200 million. And $200 million is a lot of money... BUT surely you've noticed the way Disney spends its money? And how it manages it when coming to building attractions? The Little Mermaid ride (a C ticket AND a clone at that) with an E ticket pretty princess queue cost 150 million if I remember correctly. So my point is, 200 million doesn't necessarily buy you what you seem to think it will, especially if Disney is building it. And it doesn't buy you the biggest expansion in DHS history. Sorry. A bigger budget is needed... So if that ends up being an accurate sum (and I'm not claiming it necessarily is), it won't cut it.

NoChesterHester

Im not. And never said I was absolutely believing it would be 200 million. And $200 million is a lot of money... BUT surely you've noticed the way Disney spends its money? And how it manages it when coming to building attractions? The Little Mermaid ride (a C ticket) with an E ticket queue cost 150 million if I remember correctly. So my point is, 200 million doesn't necessarily buy you what you seem to think it will, especially if Disney is building it. It doesn't buy you the biggest expansion in DHS history. Sorry.

See my post above. A $200 million dollar construction contract could absolutely redo half a park... Then Disney would have to fill all those buildings... Who knows what that number includes or if it is real.

bubbles1812

See my post above. A $200 million dollar construction contract could absolutely redo half a park... Then Disney would have to fill all those buildings... Who knows what that number includes or if it is real.
How in the world do you get that it could reconstruct half a park? They did that on the west coast... You know what it cost? Around a billion dollars. It's great that 200 million would construct a few buildings... But as you correctly pointed out, those buildings have to be filled with attractions.

Hence, a project budget of 200 million (for I don't think the guy was breaking it down into that as just a budget for hard construction) doesn't get you a whole lot... Except for empty buildings that need filling. I don't think people visit to see empty buildings.

NoChesterHester

How in the world do you get that I could reconstruct half a park? They did that on the west coast... You know what it cost? Around a billion dollars. It's great that 200 million would construct a few buildings... But as you correctly pointed out, those buildings have to be filled with attractions.

Hence, a project budget of 200 million doesn't get you a whole lot... Except for empty buildings that need filling. I don't think people visit to see empty buildings.

A billion is total development cost. I don't know if you are being obtuse on purpose or if I'm not explaining myself well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom