Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

Well, in my scenario in 3-5 years it would be Lucasfilm that would push for an original trilogy era seasonal overlay. Perhaps to promote a new OT era film/series.

But who knows - maybe the new Star Wars films from the Game of Thrones guys will be the promotional overlay in a few years.
Your scenario doesn’t matter. It ain’t happening unless there’s a dramatic shift in LucasFilm/WDI which is doubtful to occur.

They’ll still do OT stuff but not inside the land.

AEfx

Supposedly it'll stick around for 2-3 more years or so, supposed to get an Episode 9 scene added when the film comes out. Add on indecisiveness and the SWL crowds needing rides to be open and it'll stay for awhile.

I'm firmly in the "no way in heck" camp on that one. We had very reliable sources indeed state that there were plans to remove it in the immediate aftermath of GE opening, but thankfully it seems that course has changed.

I just don't see the logic in it whatsoever. It is an endlessly re-configurable ride that they can use to promote any new Star Wars content they want, it is in no way outdated nor does it conflict with the MF ride just because they are both simulators.

I don't see them getting rid of what will be 1/3 of their Star Wars attractions any in the near or even remotely foreseeable future.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm firmly in the "no way in heck" camp on that one. We had very reliable sources indeed state that there were plans to remove it in the immediate aftermath of GE opening, but thankfully it seems that course has changed.

I just don't see the logic in it whatsoever. It is an endlessly re-configurable ride that they can use to promote any new Star Wars content they want, it is in no way outdated nor does it conflict with the MF ride just because they are both simulators.

I don't see them getting rid of what will be 1/3 of their Star Wars attractions any in the near or even remotely foreseeable future.

I would agree with that with one proviso... they have a brand new land greenlit and ready to go... which could be years away.

doctornick

That wouldn’t make sense.

Regular people might not care, but WDI does. Also LucasFilm.

They could also do some work around type of thing where you are entering a Jedi temple or "sacred place" and are meeting a simulation of Vader or Yoda or such "created" by the Force for a M&G. At least in terms of fitting the story (kinda) but still giving people what they want.

That said, I don't personally have a problem with keeping Star Tours around and doing a some Star Wars things around there that don't fit SW:GE.

TP2000

From @dlr74 and the Disneyland forum here, there are new pictures inside the rides from the Disneyland CM magazine (they have a CM magazine at Disneyland???).

21D8E951-FDD8-49ED-945F-0B540ABBBCC3.jpeg

E654DDE3-FC6A-4D7A-A9DD-3B1570A09092.jpeg

98688365-54C3-4E40-B1D6-C4213D72B1AB.jpeg

TP2000

Also from the Disneyland side of the world, Barron's Magazine has a new article up about Star Wars Land at Disneyland...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/he...kYveSBHo9W8bamRChDMQ3i_HYkqdAB-2Qai75wqDQFsnA

I've cut and pasted a few highlight paragraphs from the article that stood out to me:

ANAHEIM, CALIF.—Mickey’s Toontown, at the far back of Disneyland, is a relatively low-key affair with a couple of rides for wee ones and a chance for some face time with a certain star mouse at his home. Next to that home is an off-limits, nondescript door that leads behind the park to a vast construction site where something altogether different is taking shape.

This is Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the most ambitious land ever added to aWalt Disney (ticker: DIS) theme park....

Visitors will enter Galaxy’s Edge through one of three entrances near the park’s Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Critter Country themed areas, with the expansion turning what are now dead ends into a circuitous route. Short, enclosed passageways between lands are designed to compress and then expand the view of visitors, like a movie fading out and then back in, to ensure that the first sight of Galaxy’s Edge is a carefully framed, cinematic view.

Galaxy’s Edge will open in Disneyland this summer, perhaps by early June. A twin land will open in Disney World later this year. At the Disneyland site, major structures are in place. Walkways and interiors are unfinished, although key set pieces are installed at the attractions. Each land will be 14 acres, compared with 12 acres for Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland’s sister park, California Adventure.

Visitors will see distant, petrified tree forms that were designed using trees in Southern California for inspiration. For real trees, a team of horticulturalists has taken pains to choose and obtain—and protect—particular species. One sign for the crew on a potted tree awaiting transplanting read, “The cost to replace this tree is $9,000. Please respect all trees and keep this area clean.”

Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
In this attraction, Hondo Ohnaka, a pirate, has cut a deal with Chewbacca for the use of the Millennium Falcon, and the visitor is the pilot. The attraction entrance will be subtly marked, so as not to disrupt the look of the land. The ship interior will be familiar to even casual fans of the films, down to the 3-D chess board where Chewie lost his temper during a match with R2-D2.

Visitors will fly the ship in groups of six, and see the real-time results of their actions, such as knocking over a spire during takeoff. The flight will be different each visit. After a ride, the visitor might, say, stop at Oga’s for a drink and be told something like, “The boss isn’t happy about how you brought the ship back.” This is part of an interactive, story-building experience throughout the land that visitors can opt in to or out of.

Rise of the Resistance
Visitors waiting in line for this attraction will wind through highly themed interiors that evoke rundown rooms the Resistance has repurposed as a base for operations against the First Order. Groups of guests might be “captured” at one point and ordered along by the enemy, before making their escape aboard a trackless troop transport. They will see scenes including a stormtrooper formation and one featuring Kylo Ren, perhaps resembling the interrogation scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The transport will evade familiar war machines, like the four-legged AT-AT Walkers from The Empire Strikes Back. Up close, these towering metal beasts do not disappoint.

Oga’s Cantina
The first public restaurant in Disneyland to serve alcohol, Oga’s is relatively small for aesthetic reasons, and is likely to be popular. To maximize capacity and keep visits from becoming all-afternoon affairs, most guests will stand. There will be a handful of booths with seating around the outer edge of the restaurant; no decision has been made yet on whether or how these can be reserved. An intricate tangle of tubes and vessels behind the bar might make some drinks appear to flow from the ceiling. We heard a mention of a Fuzzy Tauntaun, named for the furry snow lizards ridden in Empire Strikes Back, although it’s unclear if that’s a hypothetical drink or a planned one, and the menu is still being decided.

Other Retail
Shops will be supplied from a common stockroom, and restaurants from a common kitchen, to increase efficiency. One shop will feature droids that visitors can customize through an interactive experience. A droid that is made to be, say, afraid of stormtroopers might signal its fear when one comes close. Droids owned by members of the same group might recognize each other when they meet. Prices have not been set. The shop might also sell a full-size R2-D2 for well-heeled fans, perhaps costing thousands.

There will be another shop presided over by Dok-Ondar, a collector who is briefly mentioned in Solo. This character, likely animatronic, will be set apart in a booth from the rest of the staff, not unlike the dispatcher Louie De Palma in the old ABC sitcom Taxi. Cast members might interact with Dok-Ondar, asking him what he’s willing to let certain items go for. Elsewhere, there will be an outdoor market resembling a bazaar. A pod-racing engine, perhaps at the market, will be used to roast meat.

For Galaxy’s Edge, imagineers have worked with filmmakers, chefs, and merchandise executives to take adherence to storytelling to new levels for a Disney park attraction. One possibility is that Star Wars merchandise in shops will come in unique packaging that downplays the logos. Another is that merchandise based on familiar characters will take on new looks. The imagineers visited the archives at Lucasfilm for early concept art. As a hypothetical example, an artisan figure of a familiar character might look slightly off, with the back story being that residents of Batuu have never seen that character, so they don’t know exactly what the figure should look like.

Mike S

They could also do some work around type of thing where you are entering a Jedi temple or "sacred place" and are meeting a simulation of Vader or Yoda or such "created" by the Force for a M&G. At least in terms of fitting the story (kinda) but still giving people what they want.

That said, I don't personally have a problem with keeping Star Tours around and doing a some Star Wars things around there that don't fit SW:GE.
Your second paragraph is what’ll likely happen.

Sped2424

The floor is already showing signs of wear in RotR - Bottom center of the picture

Edit: Although there are also dirty bootprints - Maybe/hopefully it's just dirt on the wheels
It's also a space not meant to be walked on by the average guest! Plus those boots are probably dusty from construction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom