Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

I agree somewhat, but for every non Star Wars fan, there's 9 Star Wars fans. This video should explain it all on Disney's thinking on the matter. This is a 50 year investment. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156441240182527&id=503647526
I don't know the ratio, but, I do think that a 9 to 1 ratio is a tad on the side of exaggerated. I know the Star Wars Cult, is large, but, the earths population is much larger so that seems like an extreme bit of hyperbole. Even that one person should be able to experience something they like.

rle4lunch

I don't know the ratio, but, I do think that a 9 to 1 ratio is a tad on the side of exaggerated. I know the Star Wars Cult, is large, but, the earths population is much larger so that seems like an extreme bit of hyperbole. Even that one person should be able to experience something they like.

I'm not saying that the park should have star wars "crawl", in where it's in every portion of dhs or even other wdw parks. I'm just saying that disney knows its cash cow, and it ain't tower of terror.

SirLink

Currently I’d expect an Indy presence to continue to be around the lake. Current thinking anyway. The direction DHS goes with Star Wars after GE opens will be telling. Will they really want to contain the IP within the lands walls, or will they still be happy to have it all over the park.

Depends if they want to go all in with the new tagline that 50/50 could begin either with 30th Anniversary of DHS or when SGE opens...

Goofyernmost

I agree somewhat, but for every non Star Wars fan, there's 9 Star Wars fans. This video should explain it all on Disney's thinking on the matter. This is a 50 year investment. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156441240182527&id=503647526
Like I said, I am a tad skeptical about that ratio. Just for how the real world works, there are exactly 9 people in my extended family (that's including son's in law). Of the 9 of us the only person that briefly had a thing for Star Wars was my Grandson. Even he only lasted in that obsession for around two years between the age of 11-13. Giving him as at least a temporary fan of Star Wars that seems to indicate that if anything the ratio is exactly the opposite. With us for every 9 there is only 1 temporary fan of Star Wars. That doesn't mean that a large portion of the (9) won't want to see the land if for no other reason then curiosity or excitement about the technology of the new attractions. But those, like me, can wait until the crazy dies down. Some of us are older and have a better chance of floating off this Galaxy before the crowds let up, but, I, for one, am pretty sure that my last words are not going to be... I wish I had gotten to Galaxy's Edge. :cry::in pain::hungover:

That doesn't mean that I don't think that the "force" is huge and that for a few years at least, it will be a very crowded area, but, in my opinion, it couldn't really support it's own theme park or even a disproportionate amount of a multiple IP park over an extended period of time. And, as a bonus, on the east coast there will be a themed hotel as well. To many that will be an attraction in and of itself.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With the popularity of SW Clone Wars and Rebels, Muppets could be on the chopping block. It has a nice 3D theatre right there in between Star Tours and SW:GE.

I think if Disney had wanted the Star Tours area linked to GE they would have sacrificed Muppets and designed that way, instead of putting money into creating Grand Avenue. I don't see Muppets become another Star Wars attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think if Disney had wanted the Star Tours area linked to GE they would have sacrificed Muppets and designed that way, instead of putting money into creating Grand Avenue. I don't see Muppets become another Star Wars attraction.
I am just spitballing with zero official info to back me up, but I don't think expanding into that area and connecting SW:GE to Star Tours is that far fetched of an idea.

If SW:GE is as big as a hit as expected making expansion necessary, I doubt that any money recently invested into Grand Ave or an IP waning in popularity will hold them back from turning that entire area into dirt and starting over.

rle4lunch

Depends if they want to go all in with the new tagline that 50/50 could begin either with 30th Anniversary of DHS or when SGE opens...

When the new Indy movie hits theaters in a couple years, w/o Lucas, and probably getting a similar reboot like Episode 7 for Star Wars, everyone and their mother will go and see it and it will be lauded as masterpiece compared to Crystal Skull. Disney knows this, and they're most likely developing an attraction that will correspond with all 5 movies, along with a release date for the ride/movie to be close together (think Kong).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am just spitballing with zero official info to back me up, but I don't think expanding into that area and connecting SW:GE to Star Tours is that far fetched of an idea.

If SW:GE is as big as a hit as expected making expansion necessary, I doubt that any money recently invested into Grand Ave or an IP waning in popularity will hold them back from turning that entire area into dirt and starting over.

But, as has already been discussed, the land has other expansion area that would be used before the Muppets area would get touched.

JediMasterMatt

I can only hope that the artwork for the various versions show up in a WDI coffee table book or D23 Expo exhibit at some point.

It may take a couple decades for them to admit these other concepts existed (like the Pirates wax museum walk-thru of 1962 morphing into Pirates of the Caribbean by 1967), but the early Star Wars Land concepts would be wonderful to see once the final version has been open for awhile.

I would love for the original Tomorrowland Disneyland pitch artwork to surface... just to be able to read all of the fan community backlash.

Toontown would be neat to see as well. It would've had a much more undercover and wouldn't have been as majestic as what we're ending up with.

MrHappy

Shifting gears back to our favorite pastime..."guess the opening date". Inspired from recent comments made in this thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/free-dining-for-fall-2019-during-food-and-wine.952265/page-2

Is there precedent, or just something that would never happen, to have the land finished in October and have a series of special access for APs, Cast, Media, Promo winners, etc have access to the land for 2 months. Then the official Public Opening 12/1 or 1/1ish?

drod1985

I don't think they'd have the land primed and fully ready to roll for two whole months without opening it up to the public. That's a lot of money on the table for them.

Maybe a week or two for press, testing, paid previews and finishing touches? That I could see.

MrHappy

I don't think they'd have the land primed and fully ready to roll for two whole months without opening it up to the public. That's a lot of money on the table for them.

Maybe a week or two for press, testing, paid previews and finishing touches? That I could see.
I could see that as a realistic expectation, wasn't that the formula for Pandora? Then again, this isn't Pandora, and a lot of the thunder will be taken from Disneyland months before. So what would the best strategy be? I think an extended soft launch as possible may behoove them financially and publicly as well. Save them (a little) from a Potter scene of madness.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Shifting gears back to our favorite pastime..."guess the opening date". Inspired from recent comments made in this thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/free-dining-for-fall-2019-during-food-and-wine.952265/page-2

Is there precedent, or just something that would never happen, to have the land finished in October and have a series of special access for APs, Cast, Media, Promo winners, etc have access to the land for 2 months. Then the official Public Opening 12/1 or 1/1ish?

I think the problem with trying to cite precedent on this is the wildcard of Disneyland. Disney has never, as far as I know, opened a major new land in two different places in such a short window of time. We have had individual attractions open close to each other in multiple locations, but nothing this big.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WRT: Muppets and Star Tours, our insiders have said that (at the moment)...
  1. Star Tours is destined to be reskinned (if not totally removed). It won't be Star Tours anymore, nor would WDW want a Star Wars simulator to stick around when SWL will feature a much better one. So, merging Star Tours with Star Wars, which was once on the table and now definitely off the table, isn't happening. So, there's no need to Star Wars to go through Muppets.
  2. Grand Ave is sticking around, and SWL will expand in other directions.
Now, that doesn't mean that Muppets won't be overtaken by some other IP in the future, but given the current indecisiveness of what else to do at DHS, it looks like Muppets is safe. It will certainly be a big people eater in the Fall when the park is overbrimming with guests.

matt9112

the earths population isnt visiting WDW...to be fair im not arguing that hollywood studios should be all star wars hell im a tad upset the quietest most relaxing park on property is about to be....not so. but alass change is a neccessary evil.

Goofyernmost

the earths population isnt visiting WDW...to be fair im not arguing that hollywood studios should be all star wars hell im a tad upset the quietest most relaxing park on property is about to be....not so. but alass change is a neccessary evil.
With all due respect it was also the most boring park in central Florida. Now it is about to come back to life and take some of the pressure off the other parks. Maybe that will make one of the others the relaxing park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom