Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I feel like DIS has painted themselves into a bit of a corner with SW:GE on both coasts. They will certainly get a large number of guests to visit the swamps for it, but the hardcore SW fans... I don't see them flocking to both coasts to do the same things. I don't see that crowd as an insignificant number of guests.

I also wonder how many people are delaying vacations to avoid the first 3-6 months of the land being opened. This all could make for a very interesting late 2019 and 2020 as far as crowd levels go.

drod1985

I don’t think Disney is counting on fans visiting both coasts.

If Galaxy’s Edge we’re only in Anaheim it’d probably be a few years before I got to visit. But since it’s in Orlando? Well now I’ll be there within weeks of its opening and I’m thinking about upping my annual pass frequency.

winstongator

I don’t think Disney is counting on fans visiting both coasts.

If Galaxy’s Edge we’re only in Anaheim it’d probably be a few years before I got to visit. But since it’s in Orlando? Well now I’ll be there within weeks of its opening and I’m thinking about upping my annual pass frequency.
I’ll be in Orange County CA next July. Should I try to get to galaxy’s edge then?

Walter Yensid

I may have missed it, but does someone know where the line between on stage and backstage will be in this area? I was assuming it was where the red line I drew in was, but there also seems to be this large space behind the building where I wondered if they would use for foodservice seating, etc. Would be a big loss of space, but guess an expansion area for small adds.

Thanks for the help. Did not see this exact spot in the model, so was not sure.

1538445908332.png

britain

The funny thing is that some people were saying they didn’t really care about the Falcon ride but recently it seems to be the most anticipated. Battle Escape has pretty much fell to the wayside with the interest shifted to how the MF is going to work.

According to insiders, Battle Escape is intended to be the newest winner of the “Greatest Attraction Ever” crown, designed to impress in every possible way. But, because Millennium Falcon is simply easier to talk about / imagine / market without spoiling anything, I suspect MF will have the spotlight until opening.

eddie104

According to insiders, Battle Escape is intended to be the newest winner of the “Greatest Attraction Ever” crown, designed to impress in every possible way. But, because Millennium Falcon is simply easier to talk about / imagine / market without spoiling anything, I suspect MF will have the spotlight until opening.
Well I guess they are really going all out on them which I would hope so with such high expectations.

roj2323

I may have missed it, but does someone know where the line between on stage and backstage will be in this area? I was assuming it was where the red line I drew in was, but there also seems to be this large space behind the building where I wondered if they would use for foodservice seating, etc. Would be a big loss of space, but guess an expansion area for small adds.

View attachment 317685
that's about right. the backstage gate will be a little forward of your line at the bottom of the photo but you are otherwise correct. The L shaped building at the bottom is a Cast break room and bathrooms presumably. It's not really large enough for a Cast cafeteria but this corner of the park is rumored to be getting one.

yensidtlaw1969

Part of me almost wonders if MF will be the attraction most people will flock to first in the morning out of the sheer wish-fulfillment factor it provides. If you've been wanting to fly that ship for 40 years and the choice is between doing that first or doing the "other" Star Wars ride that you don't know much about, I bet a lot of people head to Falcon first. Even if Alcatraz is objectively the better ride, as all evidence seems to suggest.

britain

Part of me almost wonders if MF will be the attraction most people will flock to first in the morning out of the sheer wish-fulfillment factor it provides. If you've been wanting to fly that ship for 40 years and the choice is between doing that first or doing the "other" Star Wars ride that you don't know much about, I bet a lot of people head to Falcon first. Even if Alcatraz is objectively the better ride, as all evidence seems to suggest.

Fans in the know like us will make certain to get to Alcatraz, but it will be very interesting to see how they promote it to the average guest who doesn’t know what to expect (the kind that still thinks Star Wars land is near Tomorrowland - yes, I’ve really heard that).

They’ll have to say something different than that old “puts guests in the middle of an epic battle between the resistance and the first order”. That sounds like a stunt show to me.

When will we get a name!?

yensidtlaw1969

Fans in the know like us will make certain to get to Alcatraz, but it will be very interesting to see how they promote it to the average guest who doesn’t know what to expect (the kind that still thinks Star Wars land is near Tomorrowland - yes, I’ve really heard that).

They’ll have to say something different than that old “puts guests in the middle of an epic battle between the resistance and the first order”. That sounds like a stunt show to me.

When will we get a name!?
Totally - I just know I've been able to move through the World for days at a time without running into a fan in the know like us. Though it's harder these days than it used to be.

I'm sure the waits from 8:01 AM will still be astronomical for Alcatraz, but I wonder if people who are showing up more for Star Wars and less for Disney World will automatically assume that Falcon is the must-do of the two, when the opposite seems categorically true. Perhaps as we near opening Disney will offer a closer look into Battle Escape that throws the public interest into High Gear. If it really is the game changer it's purported to be I can't imagine they'll keep that a secret for very long.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

View attachment 317685
I believe the red line is the extent of onstage.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No matter how good Alacatraz is going to be most SW fans (who do not frequent Disney forums) will see a Falcon ride on the map and head for that straight away because who really doesn't want to fly the Falcon.
Not only that but I wouldn’t be surprised if Alcatraz has a lot of downtime for the first few months. It is a very very technically complex attraction.

Walter Yensid

that's about right. the backstage gate will be a little forward of your line at the bottom of the photo but you are otherwise correct. The L shaped building at the bottom is a Cast break room and bathrooms presumably. It's not really large enough for a Cast cafeteria but this corner of the park is rumored to be getting one.

Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciate it.

drod1985

If that area behind the cantina is backstage can somebody point out where the TIE Fighter model and First Order Stunt Show will be? Is the Stunt Show still happening?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If that area behind the cantina is backstage can somebody point out where the TIE Fighter model and First Order Stunt Show will be? Is the Stunt Show still happening?
I never remember hearing about a stunt show... guess I wasn't paying close enough attention... which might be a good thing... ;)
Stunt show ? Not that I’m aware of.

smile

assuredly both, i foresee...
besides, does +525% vs. +535% even matter?
:p

and we speak of a park which, even (and especially) then, will remain below acceptable capacity combined with a market conditioned to show up even when things aren't built...
perspective dependent, of course, but it's possible dhs won't be all that fun of a place until, at least, the 50th - possibly longer.

smile

Not only that but I wouldn’t be surprised if Alcatraz has a lot of downtime for the first few months. It is a very very technically complex attraction.

as the ironing continues for both...
certainly a blessing for tdo tda jumps first.

growing pains expected, but anything extended is a train wreck for the chosen approach (tsk, tsk)

yet, to risk nothing risks even more... so, very exciting :geek:
an exhibition that ambition ain't dead just yet - it just takes a big ol name to convince the suits to pony the cash to pay for it (and, maybe, another company to remind you that actually building new things can do some good)
:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom