Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What flex theater are you talking about? The one that was in the Streets of America is demolished. There is a new flex **space**, Sunset Showcase. Right now, it's just a big box where Club Villain and dance parties take place. For it to be a flex **theater**, they'd need to retrofit it with a full production stage and theater seating.

If there are no bigger plans for a "Land" down Sunset Blvd, they should replace the BatB theater with a side by side double theater suitable for live stage productions and start cycling in their abbreviated stage shows such as Aladdin (as it was in Anaheim) and Tangled (as it is on the cruise ship). Now *there* are people eaters.

Even if Indy isn't closing, I could see them moving the cheerleading events to ESPN.

roj2323

From the site that can't be named (Although I still don't understand why)
31813186032_1d5d04b02e_o.jpg

31924038366_3851e31b1d_o.jpg

31813186452_1c50753ea6_o.jpg

roj2323

Couple things of note.

• There's a LOT of black dirt on site. This is kinda odd as florida soil is more od a sandy dirty grey than Black.
  • The second temporary bridge by the end of the conveyor going to the new parking area has finally been installed (bottom right of first pic)
  • The entry road has been restored to its former configuration with new concrete and asphalt marking the path. I believe they were doing drainage work in that area.
  • Utah is now being excavated. as predicted it has several concrete columns that are slowly appearing in the middle of the hole on a grid.
  • Not much visible progress on TSL from this vantage point.
  • Looks like they are digging a significantly long trench along side the perimeter road.
  • new foundation work seems to be getting framed out to the left of Utah.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Rumor is, that's only a basement section that will house large elevators. The true foundation is just beginning at Disneyland and looks to be massive.

Correct. Here is a recent aerial from Disneyland. You can see the pit that is currently being built at DHS and also the foundation for the outside wall of the show building which I have highlighted in yellow.

upload_2016-12-30_7-13-14.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Couple things of note.

• There's a LOT of black dirt on site. This is kinda odd as florida soil is more od a sandy dirty grey than Black.
  • The second temporary bridge by the end of the conveyor going to the new parking area has finally been installed (bottom right of first pic)
  • The entry road has been restored to its former configuration with new concrete and asphalt marking the path. I believe they were doing drainage work in that area.
  • Utah is now being excavated. as predicted it has several concrete columns that are slowly appearing in the middle of the hole on a grid.
  • Not much visible progress on TSL from this vantage point.
  • Looks like they are digging a significantly long trench along side the perimeter road.
  • new foundation work seems to be getting framed out to the left of Utah.

The black dirt in the parking area showed up before the conveyor was complete so it might have been brought in from somewhere else.

There is also something being built along the park side of the land. Might just be a drainage pipe.

upload_2016-12-30_7-22-36.png

Princess Leia

She could always be Tarkinized.. oh wait, she can always be Princess Leia'd... again.
What I'm hoping for is a mix of deleted scenes, light CGI usage (paging whoever did Michael Douglas in Ant-Man for Episode IX), and holograms. A hologram would be far less distracting than Tarkin & Leia in Rogue One. (putting image comparisons under a spoiler, because the Uncanny Valley is a little unsettling)
This would have looked amazing in an animated feature of Star Wars... not a live action film:
ingvild-deila-as-princess-leia-in-rogue-one-lucas-film.jpg

PrincessLeia_0.jpg
Even Leia's clothes look digitized. It's just... off...
Ditto with Tarkin:
tarkin-rogue-one-ua-nueva-esperanza-1.jpg

They almost got Tarkin, but he didn't look real next to actual people.

SCOTLORR

What I'm hoping for is a mix of deleted scenes, light CGI usage (paging whoever did Michael Douglas in Ant-Man for Episode IX), and holograms. A hologram would be far less distracting than Tarkin & Leia in Rogue One. (putting image comparisons under a spoiler, because the Uncanny Valley is a little unsettling)
This would have looked amazing in an animated feature of Star Wars... not a live action film:
ingvild-deila-as-princess-leia-in-rogue-one-lucas-film.jpg

PrincessLeia_0.jpg
Even Leia's clothes look digitized. It's just... off...
Ditto with Tarkin:
tarkin-rogue-one-ua-nueva-esperanza-1.jpg

They almost got Tarkin, but he didn't look real next to actual people.
I thought they did a fantastic job making those characters look the same as from A New Hope. Obviously its not gonna be perfect, its almost 40 years from the original release. Why nitpick with these things when we have answers on why they don't look perfect? just enjoy the movie

Next Big Thing

I hope so. The new venue at the ESPN Complex is billed as being expressly for cheerleading competitions. I'm glad there's a place for them... far from us. :)
Actually in the press release it was billed as a potential concert venue among other things. It's main purpose will be cheerleading though, yes.

Princess Leia

I thought they did a fantastic job making those characters look the same as from A New Hope. Obviously its not gonna be perfect, its almost 40 years from the original release. Why nitpick with these things when we have answers on why they don't look perfect? just enjoy the movie
I loved the movie, but the tech is there to make the effects look better. I'm not going to bring out all of the examples again, but Marvel has a pretty good record with the effect, and idk why it didn't succeed in Rogue One. Tarkin looked better than Leia, and the same effects were used for both characters. I have no doubt that the tech will improve in 3 years for IX, but if it doesn't, there are other ways to make it work (like holograms of the characters talking).

roj2323

The black dirt in the parking area showed up before the conveyor was complete so it might have been brought in from somewhere else.

There is also something being built along the park side of the land. Might just be a drainage pipe.

View attachment 181856

Yea it's a pipe of some kind but I can't tell if it's a dewatering pipe or just something restoring a service temporarily. Hopefully we will get some better resolution photos and I'll be able to figure it out.

Mike S

Well, with less of a pit, it is certainly reasonable to expect that our rock work will extend further above the guest's head. It's also reasonable to expect some queue differences.

As usual for clones.

Crossing my fingers for August 2019 (of course, I could just go to DL then when it will certainly be open).
This seems to be in line with what an insider (forget who) said a long time ago about WDW's SWL being "taller" than DL's. The idea being that at DL they would be trying to hide it better by sinking it a bit.
Still is.

Episode 8 is well into Post-Production where General Organa is expected to take on a much bigger role than in TFA.

Ep. 9 is what's in question. How do they deal with the loss? Explain Leia out of the story or pull a CGI Leia again.
Maybe open 9 with Leia's funeral? I'd prefer that they have her die rather than try to keep her with CGI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom