Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

To be honest, as much as I think that Diagon Alley is a fantastic themed area, I feel that it is a bit weak in having only one ride. I think Gringotts is a good enough E-ticket that it should have provided cover to add in some smaller rides as well -- think more like Cars Land. As is, I feel like it's pushing the merch/food too hard.

And I have the same problem with Epcot's World Showcase as well. Needs to be more rides.
It's Diagon Alley. Anyone familiar with Harry Potter at all should've known what to expect.

Next Big Thing

Yeah it's unfortunate. I really want to go to Uni as I haven't been in awhile but I feel a need to wait until my kids are substantially older and can enjoy it more.
We've been taking my sister since she was really young and we still seem to always have a good time, it's just the height restrictions on everything start to make you question whether it's a good idea to bring young ones. Even in Suess Landing on both Cat in the Hat and High in the Sky Trolley.

IOA is definitely the better park for kids. My younger sister loves Suess Landing, Camp Jurassic and the Fantastic 4 spinner in Marvel Superhero Island. The park actually has a lot for kids, but when you look at headliners, the kids are still cut out of pretty much everything, which is Universal's biggest weak-spot.

Disney has a huge list of headliners that the entire family can ride with no height restrictions. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Fantasyland Dark rides (incl. IASW), The Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Kilimanjaro Safari's, Presumably the new Avatar Boat ride, etc.

Universal has none.

Mike S

They could've built the rumored Ministry of Magic expansion along with it, but they want to save that for later. There could've been more and we didn't get it.
Ministey of Magic was always supposed to be for later but honestly I hope they scrap those plans (if they actually existed) and Potter phase 3 is Fantastic Beasts. MoM just doesn't seem as interesting to visit anymore. Plus we're still getting Kong this year, Volcano Bay, Fallon, and Fast and Furious next year, and Nintendo very likely before 2020. There's plenty happening. Also the rumored Secret Life of Pets ride but there's no idea of an opening for that yet.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Ministey of Magic was always supposed to be for later but honestly I hope they scrap those plans (if they actually existed) and Potter phase 3 is Fantastic Beasts. MoM just doesn't seem as interesting to visit anymore. Plus we're still getting Kong this year, Volcano Bay, Fallon, and Fast and Furious next year, and Nintendo very likely before 2020. There's plenty happening.
I never said there wasn't plenty happening. I'd love to see something Fantastic Beasts too, but it would have to replace Mummy to make any sense seeing as it takes place in New York (or maybe next to the expanded New York that will be created when SLoP goes down in IOA next to Marvel). I'd be fine with that, but you can't just plop it anywhere.

And trust me, MoM would be plenty interesting to visit if they built it. MoM could be phase 3 and FB Phase 4. If we can still be building off of books JK wrote 20 years ago and people care about it, it'll succeed and take up a spot that wouldn't interfere with any Fantastic Beasts plans.

FigmentJedi

I never said there wasn't plenty happening. I'd love to see something Fantastic Beasts too, but it would have to replace Mummy to make any sense seeing as it takes place in New York (or maybe next to the expanded New York that will be created when SLoP goes down in IOA next to Marvel). I'd be fine with that, but you can't just plop it anywhere.

And trust me, MoM would be plenty interesting to visit if they built it. MoM could be phase 3 and FB Phase 4. If we can still be building off of books JK wrote 20 years ago and people care about it, it'll succeed and take up a spot that wouldn't interfere with any Fantastic Beasts plans.
Doesn't even have to be set in Wizarding New York. Scamander is a globe-trotter after all.

UpAllNight

Universals weakness in family attractions contrasts to Disney's equally noticeable weakness in thrill-seeking attractions...minus noticeable exceptions on both sides of the table.

Disney have such a solid foundation of family rides, likewise Uni with thrill rides it does make me wonder if they'd each benefit from taking a page from the others book for a few years...despite obvious different target audiences. Families include thrill seekers too. Thrill seekers have kids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Universals weakness in family attractions contrasts to Disney's equally noticeable weakness in thrill-seeking attractions...minus noticeable exceptions on both sides of the table.

Disney have such a solid foundation of family rides, likewise Uni with thrill rides it does make me wonder if they'd each benefit from taking a page from the others book for a few years...despite obvious different target audiences. Families include thrill seekers too. Thrill seekers have kids.

You can argue that WDW is already doing that (or planning on doing it)...as we will be getting an additional thrill ride with Pandora and at least one more with SWL.

UpAllNight

You can argue that WDW is already doing that (or planning on doing it)...as we will be getting an additional thrill ride with Pandora and at least one more with SWL.

It's a start :)

The notion of thrill is entirely subjective...I personally love Rollercoasters but get as much enjoyment from Hulk as I do from Splash Mountain...variety is the spice of life. I just wish there were a few more 'tower of terror' level of thrills in WDW.

doctornick

We've been taking my sister since she was really young and we still seem to always have a good time, it's just the height restrictions on everything start to make you question whether it's a good idea to bring young ones. Even in Suess Landing on both Cat in the Hat and High in the Sky Trolley.

IOA is definitely the better park for kids. My younger sister loves Suess Landing, Camp Jurassic and the Fantastic 4 spinner in Marvel Superhero Island. The park actually has a lot for kids, but when you look at headliners, the kids are still cut out of pretty much everything, which is Universal's biggest weak-spot.

Disney has a huge list of headliners that the entire family can ride with no height restrictions. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Fantasyland Dark rides (incl. IASW), The Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Kilimanjaro Safari's, Presumably the new Avatar Boat ride, etc.

Universal has none.

This. I'd also point out that it's not just "kids" that's important but adults who have health conditions or don't enjoy fast moving rides as well. One of the reasons IMHO why Disney parks have resonated with the public so well over the years is most of the attractions can be enjoyed by anyone.

ToTBellHop

Universal has none.
I came to the conclusion that 42" is the magic number for Universal. Once my kids hit that height, they can go on enough to make a trip (in my opinion) worthwhile. Another couple years, I'd imagine (they both turn 3 this week). It's amazing that at Disney, kids can ride just about everything at 40" (only ones I care about above 40 are Everest, Space, and RnRC. Not a big deal to miss out on. Three rides).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

After all the flack Disney got with the last extreme thrill ride they built, M:S, I do not think we will ever see them go down that path again.

Cesar R M

Yeah, the first time is overwhelming and maybe even a few follow-up visits. But if you don't have the wand (as you stated) or maybe Gringotts' wait is terribly high, there's not much to do. I normally end up getting a Butterbeer ice cream and leaving.

It should also be noted for those with motion sickness, both FJ and Gringotts are pretty much out of the equation for you, which is a bit of a bummer since Potter is such a transcending franchise. Of course, much of Universal has become like that.
The motion sickness would be fewer if they could keep their darn screens clean.
I got very dizzy this year when I went. It wasn't that bad last year on forbidden journey.
The "intro" videos and the first sequence until the quidditch part was awful.

Cesar R M

Ministey of Magic was always supposed to be for later but honestly I hope they scrap those plans (if they actually existed) and Potter phase 3 is Fantastic Beasts. MoM just doesn't seem as interesting to visit anymore. Plus we're still getting Kong this year, Volcano Bay, Fallon, and Fast and Furious next year, and Nintendo very likely before 2020. There's plenty happening. Also the rumored Secret Life of Pets ride but there's no idea of an opening for that yet.
I hope they fix the dumb mistakes of FF in the other parks.
Some scenes are beyond ridiculous. (aka Vin diesel appearing out of nowhere and riding a helicopter-drone to throw the missile away)

Cesar R M

Universal has none.
I still wonder why Universal cant make global appeal attractions. You either have very strong thrills, or very childish or child exclusive stuff.
We all wanted to board the "flying" chairs on Jurassic Park area.. and we all got turned away because we need to be tiny height wise...

Donaldfan1934

I expect the Resistance vs First Order ride for Star Wars to be something in the realm of Spider-Man/Transformers, which is the type of thrills that I think would compliment existing WDW offerings well.
Well hopefully there are more practical effects in that than those rides. There's a reason why the 3d films in Disney's parks often become preview areas.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom