Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

dreamscometrue

Well hopefully there are more practical effects in that than those rides. There's a reason why the 3d films in Disney's parks often become preview areas.
I expect they will have a good deal of practical effects and sets. If I'm not mistaken, other trackless Disney rides-such as Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor and Ratatouille-all have decent physical sets.

RSoxNo1

To be honest, as much as I think that Diagon Alley is a fantastic themed area, I feel that it is a bit weak in having only one ride. I think Gringotts is a good enough E-ticket that it should have provided cover to add in some smaller rides as well -- think more like Cars Land. As is, I feel like it's pushing the merch/food too hard.

And I have the same problem with Epcot's World Showcase as well. Needs to be more rides.

I felt the same way about Diagon Alley, I mean basically unless you buy into the Magic Wand thing and are into HP merch. There isn't much there to do. Sure, the first time you visit the shops and theming is very impressive to see and explore, but aside from Gringotts there just isn't much to do, IMO.

It's why I think Africa is a better themed land. The actual theming of Africa vs. Diagon Alley is comparable, but the attraction lineup in Africa is better.

Also, dismissing Star Wars as only having two rides isn't correct. Star Tours will be included, and it sounds like three D/E tickets total. That's a very solid land.

FigmentJedi

I believe Flight of Passage will be more thrilling than most people are expecting.

I am hoping. I know people like to call it Soarin 2.0, but by all accounts it is a different ride system that allows for much more movement than Soarin' does. I guess we will find out in 2017.

Considering the storyline that the new Soarin film's getting in Shanghai, I'm wondering that if Avatar's using a new system to better sell the idea of riding a Banshee, their Soarin might do the same. It certainly sounds like Avatar Minus Avatar.
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/soaring-over-horizon/
Enter the Realm of the Sky

Summoning ancient primal powers, you’ll ascend on a magical journey for a breathtaking view of the planet.

Follow the trail to the Arbori tribe’s celestial observatory—said to be an enchanted portal connecting the physical and mystical worlds. Inside, shamans channel the spirit of the condor to help adventurers realize one of mankind’s most ancient and elusive dreams: to soar like a bird.

Gather before an enormous radiant black stone—through which visions are revealed—and prepare to be transported. On a hilltop high above Adventure Isle, you’re about to embark on the greatest adventure of all.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Considering the storyline that the new Soarin film's getting in Shanghai, I'm wondering that if Avatar's using a new system to better sell the idea of riding a Banshee, their Soarin might do the same. It certainly sounds like Avatar Minus Avatar.
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/soaring-over-horizon/
Pretty sure it's using the traditional Soarin' ride system. Spirit mentioned they are using DCA's system at night to do the programming because SDL is so far behind.

doctornick

Also, dismissing Star Wars as only having two rides isn't correct. Star Tours will be included, and it sounds like three D/E tickets total. That's a very solid land.

Star Wars land will likely also have (at least) an indoor jedi training show and who knows what else. Even ignoring rides, Diagon would have benefited from having at least an indoor AA show to buff up the attraction count. The shows they have in the land are nice, but are more smaller scale streetmosphere stuff and I think the land would have benefited by something more ambitious.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Pretty sure it's using the traditional Soarin' ride system. Spirit mentioned they are using DCA's system at night to do the programming because SDL is so far behind.

Additionally, the building they built at SDL is more or less identical to the Soarin buildings in Orlando and Anaheim.

erasure fan1

Exactly. I don't think people realize how packed with rides this land will be.
It's because Disney has conditioned us that way. I really hope you guys are right and I have to eat crow but Disneys track record of look how awesome this will be, and what we actually get, speaks for its self. And if they do build 3 D/E tickets, if it's an x-wing and tie fighter double spinner, you can keep it. This land will be judged on the quality of the rides and not so much on the quantity. Disney has proven they can theme the heck out of a land so I'm not worried about that.

doctornick

It's because Disney has conditioned us that way. I really hope you guys are right and I have to eat crow but Disneys track record of look how awesome this will be, and what we actually get, speaks for its self. And if they do build 3 D/E tickets, if it's an x-wing and tie fighter double spinner, you can keep it. This land will be judged on the quality of the rides and not so much on the quantity. Disney has proven they can theme the heck out of a land so I'm not worried about that.

I'm oddly unconcerned about the quality of the two headline attractions for Star Wars. I'm actually more concerned about the breadth of the experience in terms of other "little things" to do (whether smaller attractions, streetmosphere, merch/food to explore) and perhaps the capacity of the E-tickets -- if they are not sufficient, we may see the some horrible crowding and waits for the land. Even with TSL opening, DHS is going to be short on attractions and it will be interesting to see how well the park can handle the numbers that Star Wars will bring.

Furthermore, I do hope that the rides are not too intense (or at least one of them isn't) and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and levels of thrill tolerance given how popular the IP is amongst all ages.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'll never understand Disney fans obsession with things being infant and octogenarian friendly.
While I do not thing everything should be suitable for infants and the elderly, the fact that many of the attractions are make Disney a much more appealing choice for families that fit even part of that demographic.

From 2001 to 2010, my travel party always had an infant or a small child and/or someone well above retirement age. It was near pointless for us to go to places like US/IOA, Busch Gardens, etc as a portion of out party would have to sit out a good percentage of the attractions.

At WDW, my 10 day old daughter and her 72 year old grandmother could both ride a good 75%-80% of the attractions in nearly any park.

doctornick

I'll never understand Disney fans obsession with things being infant and octogenarian friendly.

Because it's nice to have a number of attractions that doesn't exclude chunks of guests from experiencing?

My dad loves star wars but doesn't tolerate intense rides. Call me odd, but I'd like to have him be able to enjoy one of the new Star Wars rides.

I certainly don't think that every ride needs to be accessible to everyone, as variety is good. And when I talk about all ages, I definitely do not want a lot of rides aimed specifically at the toddler set (I'd prefer more POTC and HM, not Heimlich's Chew Chew Train). But those great immersive experiences that everyone could ride are IMHO a huge part of what has made Disney parks so popular and cherished. Because there is something for everyone to enjoy.

erasure fan1

I'm oddly unconcerned about the quality of the two headline attractions for Star Wars.
Well I guess it depends on your definition of quality. I am talking about the total package when I talk quality. Look no further than NFL and its headline attraction seven dwarfs mine train. The ride is stunning from a visual standpoint but because of cuts or whatever happened it's too short and just falls flat. I get off the ride and instead of saying "holy cow that was awesome!" I say "oh man that really could have been something special." I do not want to get off a new star wars headliner and have that what could have been feeling because of cutbacks or something like that.

hpyhnt 1000

This. I'd also point out that it's not just "kids" that's important but adults who have health conditions or don't enjoy fast moving rides as well. One of the reasons IMHO why Disney parks have resonated with the public so well over the years is most of the attractions can be enjoyed by anyone.

There's also something to be said about having "slower" and/or less thrilling attractions to go on when you're done with your thrills. Using the IoA example, after back to back to back rides on Dragon Challenge followed by a ride on Forbidden Journey and finished with repeat rides on Hulk and Spider-Man, your mind and body needs a break. Having quieter, calmer "family" rides fills that role. It's why things like the TTA PeopleMover or SSE are so popular at WDW. It's also why I love ET at Universal and really hope they don't get rid of it (though it does need an update). Calmer rides make you better appreciate the thrilling ones, and vice versa.

It's sort of like with food. Spicy and hot foods are great, but I would never want every dish of every meal to be Habanero pepper spicy. You need other dishes to balance it out and, for the most part, Disney has done the best job of figuring that out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom