Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sped2424

There BETTER be a phase 2 for SWL because right now its only slated for 2 rides (plus a couple dining options and gift stores galore).
2 etickets sounds astonishing in my opinion. That's just for one land the other rides that can do more damage to capacity shall be elsewhere. I mean when you look at each land at the magic kingdom how many tickets at most do they have? Frontierland has 2.

boufa

NEW fantasyland added 2 rides (not getting into the ticket level debate), and 1 relocated and redone ride. Avatar is going to have 2 rides. Toy story land is gonna have 2 rides (new). Realistically its gonna have 2 rides, and thats enough... I would take more, but its unlikely.

I seriously doubt SWL will get a phase 2, expansion at a later date. There is no comparison to the Univ Harry Potter stuff. Those lands are in 2 different parks, they build the second one after taking a chance on the first one (no one knew it was going to be a huge hit, it could just as easily flopped). SWL is using a more established property, the risk of a flop is much lower, and Disney can't, won't and doesn't need to do the split it into 2 different parks marketing trick.

Mike S

NEW fantasyland added 2 rides (not getting into the ticket level debate), and 1 relocated and redone ride. Avatar is going to have 2 rides. Toy story land is gonna have 2 rides (new). Realistically its gonna have 2 rides, and thats enough... I would take more, but its unlikely.

I seriously doubt SWL will get a phase 2, expansion at a later date. There is no comparison to the Univ Harry Potter stuff. Those lands are in 2 different parks, they build the second one after taking a chance on the first one (no one knew it was going to be a huge hit, it could just as easily flopped). SWL is using a more established property, the risk of a flop is much lower, and Disney can't, won't and doesn't need to do the split it into 2 different parks marketing trick.
NFL replaced two rides. Snow White and 20,000 Leagues FINALLY.

Seanual757

I am surprised at the location of SWL I have not seen the construction blue prints so we shall see I do know construction is slated (concrete to be delivered towards the end of the summer 2016. It shall be fun to see and watch as this project goes up just like Avatar.

erasure fan1

There BETTER be a phase 2 for SWL because right now its only slated for 2 rides (plus a couple dining options and gift stores galore).
I agree. Unfortunately I am really expecting the very minimum from them. I do hope that they prove me very wrong on this one because a Star Wars land has been something I have imagined since I was a small kid. The majority of what Disney has been doing (really since Everest) has been more show than substance. I just hope the "lets just do the bare minimum because people will show up anyway" attitude stays far away from this project. But as long as the people who made the decision to but Frozen into Norway still work at Disney, I have to believe we get the bargain basement version of SWL.

doctornick

It makes me nervous how Disney is already promoting "Star Wars Awakens" at the parks, with very little to fulfill with. If they can get the benefit of increased attendance with just Star Wars Launch Bay and meet & greets, I worry they'll scale back on SWL.

They aren't going to decimate DL without putting in a high quality, well regarded Star Wars land there to appease the masses. And DHS is getting the same stuff as DL.

In general, I agree with the concern though. I'm worried about "Phase 3" for DHS never happening (or being poorly funded).

twebber55

I am surprised at the location of SWL I have not seen the construction blue prints so we shall see I do know construction is slated (concrete to be delivered towards the end of the summer 2016. It shall be fun to see and watch as this project goes up just like Avatar.
the good news about this project is, is that we should be able to see it...We get about 10% of the avatar construction

ToTBellHop

They aren't going to decimate DL without putting in a high quality, well regarded Star Wars land there to appease the masses. And DHS is getting the same stuff as DL.

In general, I agree with the concern though. I'm worried about "Phase 3" for DHS never happening (or being poorly funded).
I don't personally worry about 3 because it is largely included in the approved budget and the land is going to be cleared. Disney is aware that 4 rides won't cut it. Of course, if they do decide Star Wars deserves more, they could take the money earmarked for phase 3 and use it on more Star Wars content. It is highly unlikely that money that has already been approved will be turned away. On the other hand, WDI is known for cost overruns that impact other portions of big projects like this.

Cesar R M

The "Phase 2" is referring to the second construction phase (After TSL). Whether more SWL gets built is yet to be determined.

Think about it though in comparing to Potter. SWL would have 2 brand new rides plus Star Tours... all seemingly very good rides from what we've heard. Potter has 3 "new" rides (Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express and Gringotts) and a few rethemed coasters, one of the kiddie kind.

As far as rides go, Star Wars Land is looking to be fairly packed when you consider Diagon itself (Hogwarts Express isn't in Diagon) has literally one ride and a bunch of shopping.
but it has a few shows and the interactive wands areas. (the Banshees show and the Bedle and the Bard)

doctornick

The "Phase 2" is referring to the second construction phase (After TSL). Whether more SWL gets built is yet to be determined.

Think about it though in comparing to Potter. SWL would have 2 brand new rides plus Star Tours... all seemingly very good rides from what we've heard. Potter has 3 "new" rides (Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express and Gringotts) and a few rethemed coasters, one of the kiddie kind.

As far as rides go, Star Wars Land is looking to be fairly packed when you consider Diagon itself (Hogwarts Express isn't in Diagon) has literally one ride and a bunch of shopping.

To be honest, as much as I think that Diagon Alley is a fantastic themed area, I feel that it is a bit weak in having only one ride. I think Gringotts is a good enough E-ticket that it should have provided cover to add in some smaller rides as well -- think more like Cars Land. As is, I feel like it's pushing the merch/food too hard.

And I have the same problem with Epcot's World Showcase as well. Needs to be more rides.

DisDan

To be honest, as much as I think that Diagon Alley is a fantastic themed area, I feel that it is a bit weak in having only one ride. I think Gringotts is a good enough E-ticket that it should have provided cover to add in some smaller rides as well -- think more like Cars Land. As is, I feel like it's pushing the merch/food too hard.

And I have the same problem with Epcot's World Showcase as well. Needs to be more rides.
I felt the same way about Diagon Alley, I mean basically unless you buy into the Magic Wand thing and are into HP merch. There isn't much there to do. Sure, the first time you visit the shops and theming is very impressive to see and explore, but aside from Gringotts there just isn't much to do, IMO.

ToTBellHop

I felt the same way about Diagon Alley, I mean basically unless you buy into the Magic Wand thing and are into HP merch. There isn't much there to do. Sure, the first time you visit the shops and theming is very impressive to see and explore, but aside from Gringotts there just isn't much to do, IMO.
Yeah, you might feel differently if anyone could ride the Hogwarts Express, but as it is, Diagon Alley seems to leave a bit to be desired for non-HP fans. I've also heard its numbers, while strong, were less than expected.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Yeah, the first time is overwhelming and maybe even a few follow-up visits. But if you don't have the wand (as you stated) or maybe Gringotts' wait is terribly high, there's not much to do. I normally end up getting a Butterbeer ice cream and leaving.

It should also be noted for those with motion sickness, both FJ and Gringotts are pretty much out of the equation for you, which is a bit of a bummer since Potter is such a transcending franchise. Of course, much of Universal has become like that.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, the first time is overwhelming and maybe even a few follow-up visits. But if you don't have the wand (as you stated) or maybe Gringotts' wait is terribly high, there's not much to do. I normally end up getting a Butterbeer ice cream and leaving.

It should also be noted for those with motion sickness, both FJ and Gringotts are pretty much out of the equation for you, which is a bit of a bummer since Potter is such a transcending franchise. Of course, much of Universal has become like that.
Yeah it's unfortunate. I really want to go to Uni as I haven't been in awhile but I feel a need to wait until my kids are substantially older and can enjoy it more.

DisDan

Yeah it's unfortunate. I really want to go to Uni as I haven't been in awhile but I feel a need to wait until my kids are substantially older and can enjoy it more.

Same here, im going to wait a few years, my kids are 6 & 3 and they are not ready yet. Sure there are still SOME things they could enjoy but I am not going to plan a family vacation to a resort where my kids won't get to ride any of the cool rides they would want to because they are too small. My Son LOVES Marvel and would absolutely FLIP for the the Spirderman ride....but he's not tall enough yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom