Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How many acres is one American Millennium Falcon?

Roughly 0.07.
Capture.JPG

Quinnmac000

Poor Disney castmembers...as much fun as it would be to work in Star Wars land for those who work in food and rides being in costume with all the makeup and prosthetics is gonna add a good chunk of time to their workday.

HauntedMansionFLA

#1. I am very happy to have the Star Wars Land announcement at D23. I am being positive about what the Disney brass told us yesterday. Two new rides along with Star Tours will be excellent. Jedi training being moved indoors and more seating - hopefully some new age technology to go with it. And some cool dining options to pick from. Along with retail shops. ANd who would have known that it would be a new world we will be walking into instead of trying to pick which planet to have in the land. You want to have areas that people want to spend hours taking in all of the details.

note2001

Poor Disney castmembers...as much fun as it would be to work in Star Wars land for those who work in food and rides being in costume with all the makeup and prosthetics is gonna add a good chunk of time to their workday.
I doubt Disney will go to that level to outfit a cashier with makeup. Maybe for opening day/week they will, but I expect it to all be hat/garment related items that will turn these CMs into 'aliens'.

Ignohippo

I'm not saying your source is wrong ... but sounds kinda like Jim Hills source which is old information. Remember the old plans had Falcon as a walkthrough attraction ala SR Family Treehouse. Your source could have v.old information.

That's exactly it. These new plans simply evolved and grew from the original plan that was rejected. They are still using the same area.

Capsin4

so I read somewhere that 14 acres is around 750 by 750 ft
that's huge, 1 football field is appr. 300 by 150 ft
Not sure where you saw it, but I said that in a post. It's actually more like 780 x 780 though. DHS is 135 acres. MK is just over 100. It's huge. Hopefully, they need a huge show building for whatever is coming!

ItlngrlBella

Heavy makeup and glued-on prosthetics take too much time and are not practical.

Silicone masks (full-head and partial balaclava-style) are more efficient. You just throw them on. To clean (a must after each wearer), spray the inside down lightly with alcohol and wipe out - especially around the inside and outside of eyes and mouth and the discreet nose and eat holes. Some performers like putting talc on their face beforehand to help with getting it on/off.

I doubt Disney will go to that level to outfit a cashier with makeup. Maybe for opening day/week they will, but I expect it to all be hat/garment related items that will turn these CMs into 'aliens'.

For quick-service checkout, I agree, it will be something simple but uniform and not too involved (but it would be great if we're wrong on this).

For sit-down dining waitstaff and any dining entertainment (Cantina?) it could be like the examples below. Actually, I fear they might just have an AA Cantina Band - because in the long run, it's easier and cheaper. Maybe live Twi'Lek dancers in front?

Silicone full head masks are quick and easy, but I can't imagine wearing for a full shift. Having said that, we had actors at a haunt I worked at wearing them for 6 hours straight. A complete custom piece from a supplier is around $5000, but if you care and store it correctly they can last 15-20 years. They do an amazing job for realism and are excellent for close-up interactions - they even pick-up the performer's eyebrow movements:

An all-over monochrome airbrush makeup and either matching airbrushed arms or leotard/gloves and a headpiece for an Oola-like Twi-Lek characters could be done (again, hard for long term wear).

image.jpg

A great option would be a silicone upper or lower half masks or balaclavas. (Not those hideous ones that are in the MK castle shows - i.e., Hook and Smee are not for up close). Something like this... Just minimal makeup around mouth and eyes to match and perhaps with contacts of they wanted more details:

image.jpg

Or

image.jpg

(I know this is a hokey ogre but I threw it in as an example of a partial balaclava - it could be customized and either flesh toned or the actor could wear makeup to blend with the mask)

For their own comfort and safety, I hope these characters are all working indoors in air conditioning. I can't wait to see what they do.

Last edited:

WDWFan_Boston

So looking at the announcement, they're adding a new mission to the existing Star Wars ride, and a new spinner ride...which like Dumbo you get to control your every own ship....moving it up & down and side to side; all whilst travelling (spinning) around the universe (central core axis).
Definitely a new restaurant selling all the latest junk and tat from the new movies.

Can't contain my excitment. Not.

Still, at least its not another Soarin' clone and a cheap TSMM overlay to make it shooting light sabres.

Wow, you must be great at parties :facepalm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom