Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What was the original plan before it was changed to the Mine Train?

A Cinderella and Snow White interactive M&G sort of like Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Fantasyland-expansion-concept-art.png

lazyboy97o

Regardless the fact that they were seriously going forward with those plans is ridiculous. One of the best things Staggs ever did was bring in the Mine Train.
Don't buy into the nonsense story that Staggs knew his boys needed something to do. The meet and greets were troubled even when Rasulo (one of only two Chairmen of Parks and Resorts with prior industry experience) was still in charge. They were operational nightmares that never could have lasted.

Last edited:

jt04

Don't buy into the nonsense story that Staggs knew his boys needed something to do. The meet and greets were troubled even when Rasulo (one of only two Chairmen of Parks and Resorts with prior industry experience) was still in charge. They were operational nightmares that never could have lasted.

Yet the next gen Belle m&g seems to be doing fine. And of course Frozen m&g is being added to WS. The coaster was a good add but so are the new m&g's.

And I am certain Star Wars Land will have several.

RSoxNo1

Yet the next gen Belle m&g seems to be doing fine. And of course Frozen m&g is being added to WS. The coaster was a good add but so are the new m&g's.

It's also a great pre-show for what amounts to a World Showcase Players level of production. If New Fantasyland was two more similar experiences and Little Mermaid it would be an incredibly disappointment. This type of Chris Beatty special fueled project was outright rejected by the board when it came to Star Wars. There's a lot of flash but no substance.

At the outset, New Fantasyland was designed to increase capacity, and the elaborate meet and greets really wouldn't have done that. Having said that, Mine Train isn't exactly a huge capacity attraction either, but I'm sure it's higher than the two meet and greets would have been.

You can have these types of experiences, but they're low capacity and lacking in substance. They're A ticket diversions with D ticket setups.

Last edited:

mm52200

Yes, it's doing fine, but if and two other m&g's were the majority of the NFL expansion, it wouldn't have worked out so well. Also the Frozen meet and greet is being added in addition to a Frozen attraction so it's not the main attraction there.

Sped2424

Belle's enchanted tales is cute. BUt an attraction would have been much better. Belle can meet anywhere and it would be doing fine. Now what would have really been something is for the queue and the pre show (the mirror room) to have all been the same. Except instead of leading into a meet and greet it lead to the loading area for an attraction.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Belle's enchanted tales is cute. BUt an attraction would have been much better. Belle can meet anywhere and it would be doing fine. Now what would have really been something is for the queue and the pre show (the mirror room) to have all been the same. Except instead of leading into a meet and greet it lead to the loading area for an attraction.
I think that the problem of a Beauty and the Beast ride is New Fantasyland itself. You visit the Beast's Castle, you dine in Be Our Guest, you go eat at Gaston's Tavern... You've had all of these experiences without going on a ride.

Sped2424

I think that the problem of a Beauty and the Beast ride is New Fantasyland itself. You visit the Beast's Castle, you dine in Be Our Guest, you go eat at Gaston's Tavern... You've had all of these experiences without going on a ride.
That's not a problem though. Going through the actual story of beauty and the beast is a far different experience then simply visiting the locales offered in new fantasyland. Plus is they use the whole time travel via magic mirror subplot that rather fixes itself quickly.

RSoxNo1

That's not a problem though. Going through the actual story of beauty and the beast is a far different experience then simply visiting the locales offered in new fantasyland. Plus is they use the whole time travel via magic mirror subplot that rather fixes itself quickly.
Up until you walk through the mirror, Enchanted Tales with Belle screams E-ticket. After that, you have two cool animatronics some nice scenery, and an elaborate costume all masking a children's play. It's cute, but it is an A ticket experience in an E-ticket package.

It's at a similar level as the wand experience at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, except the actual meat of that show is the star. These are "nice to have" additions, but ultimately the buildup is underwhelming.

A few years ago @EddieSotto was talking about Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo and how they deliberately made the queue unassuming. It helped emphasize the "wow" factor once you got on the attraction. Enchanted Tales with Belle peaks too early. The mirror effect is a great one, and to follow it up with cardboard cut outs is a disappointment.

What would have been fantastic is using the mirror effect as a way of bringing guests to their tables at Be Our Guest.

Haymarket2008

Any idea when construction should begin? I'm assuming Disneyland is starting first because they have a lot more to deal with in terms of prep work (Rivers of America, etc.). If this thing is shooting for late 2018 opening, are we thinking Spring 2016?

doctornick

Any idea when construction should begin? I'm assuming Disneyland is starting first because they have a lot more to deal with in terms of prep work (Rivers of America, etc.). If this thing is shooting for late 2018 opening, are we thinking Spring 2016?

Someone (Staggs IIRC) stated that construction would begin in both parks in 2016.

Fox&Hound

I completely agree. A ride would have been cool but so many of the scenes you see throughout fantasyland. I'd rather dine in the restaurant than ride by it while in some giant themed cup aka Little Mermaid dark ride. I think it would have ended up being a dark ride just like Mermaid and the others- which I love, but it's nice to see something different too. If it was all M&G's like Belle it would have bombed. I like the NFL gave us a few rides, a great place to eat, a M&G, shops, etc. It's a good mix in my opinion.

UpAllNight

This park is going to get absolutely swamped. Harry Potter has just over a decade of medium intensity fandom...Star Wars is unparalleled. We know the size of it, and we've seen the concept art but Disney simply must match this land with ambition or it's a huge potential PR disaster. Are 2 rides enough? We'd all love to see Disney go above and beyond instead of just doing 'enough' which has seemed the way as of late. They spoke of 2 signature attractions; will there be smaller attractions too? I'd imagine interactivity will play it's part in some way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom