Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bleed0range

Right now more than music I think the biggest thing they’re missing is having random aliens and droids roaming around. That bounty hunter in the concept artwork would add a lot. It feels dead because there’s no aliens in a Space Port/town with a Cantina!!

There should be a little street band of aliens, a bounty hunter who lurks the corners of the spaceport and cantina, an alien speaking a language you don’t understand, a funny alien in the market trying to get you to buy something, droids roaming around here and there with an alien yelling “no droids in here!”

It would have also been cool to see another smuggler ship or something who’s owner could badmouth the Falcon and Solo/Chewie, proclaiming his ship is faster.

Etc.

erasure fan1

Unless it was from a band of some sort playing live, piped in music would really mess with the feeling of REALLY being on Batuu. It would feel like you're in a theme park. Obviously, we all KNOW where we are (!!!), but for as close to true immersion as possible, I think it would be a mistake.
The thing with Star Wars is the music is such an iconic part of the franchise. From the movies, to games you are expecting those certain musical queues. I get what you are saying and you're not wrong. But I do think that having a subtle soundtrack playing would make it more immersive for a lot of people. I'm not sure how I'll truly feel until I'm there. But my guess is I'll prefer music. The reason is I would rather be in the movies than a real place. And the music is a big part of that experience. If that makes sense.

Bleed0range

The thing with Star Wars is the music is such an iconic part of the franchise. From the movies, to games you are expecting those certain musical queues. I get what you are saying and you're not wrong. But I do think that having a subtle soundtrack playing would make it more immersive for a lot of people. I'm not sure how I'll truly feel until I'm there. But my guess is I'll prefer music. The reason is I would rather be in the movies than a real place. And the music is a big part of that experience. If that makes sense.

They could play music at random intervals and then have periods of quiet for ambiance. When a street show or Kylo appears they could play music appropriate to that show or character. Foreboding music to let you know Kylo is nearby. Intense music if first order troops are chasing after someone.

WDWFANSINCE81

Regarding music..I would be fine if there was music playing from some of the shops or the open windows of the buildings above...something to add to "lived in" feeling they are going for. Street musicians is ideal but a few spots with ambient music would be a huge plus. The whole land doesn't need to be scored. Oh...and drioids and aliens would help a ton too.

ImperfectPixie

Mind you, I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge yet, but after following this thread since before it opened in Disneyland and seeing videos and the reviews of people who HAVE been there...I thought this was pertinent.

I usually avoid the city like the plague, but I just visited some of the new green spaces and areas of Boston that were re-done after the big dig removed the elevated highway. YES, it's been many moons since I've visited these areas, but they feel so ALIVE compared to what they used to feel like! People walking and chit-chatting as they saw the sights (very few faces buried in phones), boats full of people returning from whale watches and fishing excursions while others got ready for booze cruises, music from Quincy Market and a couple of the open-air seating areas for restaurants, as well as a couple of random live performers, tons of kids playing on two splash-pads and in the outdoor area beside the Market as well as one of the large green spaces that was loaded with benches, horse-drawn carriages, people walking or playing with their dogs - there was even a small park with a dozen or so corn-hole games set up that was full of people having fun. This wasn't even on a weekend - it was early evening in the middle of the week. I couldn't help but think of Galaxy's Edge and all the complaints about the lack of activity and life, because the last time I'd been to these areas, the feeling was NOTHING like the vibrant area I was experiencing (aside from the Market). Sure there were people around in the long ago when I was there, but they just seemed to be on their way to something else...this time they WANTED to be there, and it showed.

The music was a big contributor to the atmosphere of the area, too. While I don't think constant music in Galaxy's Edge would be a good idea (it would feel fake - and this is the opposite of what my opinion was prior to my city visit), as @WDWFANSINCE81 said, having music come from a strategically chosen window or two (especially the dining locations) and certainly having a live performer here and there would make a world of difference. There needs to be activity - and not just from the "tourists". Locals milling about, droids, etc. would make a huge difference. And as I'm typing this, the Renaissance Faire that comes once a year comes to mind, too. They have performers roaming the streets who draw visitors into the show and make them part of the fantasy - THAT would be a huge improvement as well. (And I'm not talking about Kylo Ren randomly asking people if they know where the Resistance is based...these "shows" are much more thought out and feel more natural than that, tying into whatever the "story" for that year is.)

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

. That would detract from the realism in the same way that it would in Pandora.

Been many times and I don't find it "real" at all - just a beige, bland, silent, boring movie set with the Falcon in the middle. Since their (noble?) attempt at making an "immersive", living place has failed miserably, let's put our energy into making it an actually fun theme park land like Universal did with Harry Potter.

And if someone can do some research for me and see if they can find mass complaints from the opening of either Harry Potter land that the soaring John William music being played took them "out of the realism" of being in Hogwarts or Diagon Alley or it lessened the experience in any way. I certainly have never felt that and not once have heard someone make the comment.

Hogsmeade and Diagon are infinitely more "real' and "immersive" than this deserted, silent SWGE so this argument about the music is just odd to me.

No Name

Here’s a wacky thought.

Background music never made a theme park land significantly less immersive in the eyes of guests UNTIL Disney pointed out that said background music makes theme park lands significantly less immersive and therefore must be eliminated. Similar arguments can be made for coke bottles, pin trading, magic band readers, etc. By trying to make something more immersive in one location of their parks, they’re making guests consciously aware of the lack of immersion that still exists in that location and especially in other locations. I’m all for raising the bar, but if it’s not done carefully, it may have negative ripple effects.

Incomudro

Here’s a wacky thought.

Background music never made a theme park land significantly less immersive in the eyes of guests UNTIL Disney pointed out that said background music makes theme park lands significantly less immersive and therefore must be eliminated. Similar arguments can be made for coke bottles, pin trading, magic band readers, etc. By trying to make something more immersive in one location of their parks, they’re making guests consciously aware of the lack of immersion that still exists in that location and especially in other locations. I’m all for raising the bar, but if it’s not done carefully, it may have negative ripple effects.

The problem right now is that GE isn't giving us either full immersion or music.
If they went full in on this place feeling like a living and breathing locale with aliens and droids, street musicians etc., I could see how in concept - that theme songs playing along might not work - though even that is arguable, given there are various degrees to how and where music could be employed.
Right now, GE is a land devoid of local residents. It only contains guests.
So, they haven't gone all in on the you are there elements - and the lack of music only emphasizes the lifelessness of the land.
You're walking through a set in Disney, you are not in a remote outpost.
Fortunately these elements are the easiest things to remedy (far easier than actually building something) should Disney decide to do so.
Hopefully GE in Hollywood Studios will step things up, we'll see.

MickeyMinnieMom

Since their (noble?) attempt at making an "immersive", living place has failed miserably, let's put our energy into making it an actually fun theme park land like Universal did with Harry Potter.
This is a massive overstatement. And can be easily tweaked with addition of streetmosphere and some music in spots. No need to turn it into Potterland.

solidyne

So work was being really slow this morning so I slapped together this test of adding score to the background of the land. This was just a quick edit so please be gentle!

Works for me! Nice job.

I understand complaints about immersion, but for me the pretense is part of the immersion. Look, we'll never truly believe we're actually in Batuu. Therefore, the music "in the air" helps with the pretending (IMO, of course).

I always think of Frontierland. There's no question that the music (from no discernible "source") is a plus.

RobWDW1971

It is/was a plan.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just asking where did Disney officially say they were doing this? There a million blue sky ideas thrown out, but this concept of drones is spoken about on this board as Disney said that would happen and it didn't. I am certainly critical of WDI, but I try to limit my criticism to what they actually say they are going to do and what they actually do. Honestly, if this was ever announced just let me know where, I'm not saying it wasn't just never seen it.

RobWDW1971

This is a massive overstatement. And can be easily tweaked with addition of streetmosphere and some music in spots. No need to turn it into Potterland.

But you didn't address my main point, Potterlands have music - is it your position that because of that they are less "real" and "immersive"? If not, I don't understand your point as I've never heard that complaint about those lands ever. Not once.

RobWDW1971

Here’s a wacky thought.

And the sad irony is it didn't work, SWGE is less immersive than previous theme park lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom