Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ravenclaw78

I'll be honest, as a kid fantasizing about actually living in the Star Wars universe and having epic lightsaber duels and X-Wing dogfights, I always imagined the movie scores playing in the background. I don't know, maybe my Jedi character had his astromech droid programmed as a jukebox or something. The point is, hearing the score wouldn't break the immersion for me, because it's already there in my headcanon even though it would be plainly ridiculous in "reality".

Still, while we can debate the merits and flaws of various budget and design choices, and clearly opening with only half the land ready in order to boost summer and fall revenue backfired spectacularly, I think the biggest mistake Disney made was to build Galaxy's Edge in DL in the first place. It fits so well thematically and physically in DHS, whereas it just doesn't mesh with the themes of DL at all and they had to alter attractions in DL that visitors have long thought of as practically sacred. If they'd just increased the DHS budget by even 1/4 of what they spent on DL's GE instead, and WDI hadn't had to (at least allegedly) alter the DHS plans to accommodate DL's space limitations, they could have done a much better job with this.

HiJe

FWIW I LOVED the ambient sounds in DL SWGE instead of music everywhere. I could see an argument for music as you enter the land, maybe, but not after that. I think they need more streetmosphere -- more characters roaming, maybe a show that fits with theme, etc. But not music everywhere.

I thought having street bands that are similar to some of the character bands that are in the movies (Max Rebo band or the Modal Nodes or something similar) would be cool. Or come up with a new band tailored to Batuu with music that seems like it would be from the planet originally. Wishful thinking.

brihow

I can understand not blasting the Star Wars music all over the land. I'd actually prefer they limit it to the entrances, rides, cantina and restaurant. But I also completely agree that without it everywhere, something is missing. I think some very vague, tonal music would go a LONG way, especially layered behind the ambient sounds they have now.

I think something like this would work well: Ambient tones

Jones14

I wonder if DL's colors were motivated by a desire to be a bit more Frontierland-ish when viewed from Big Thunder.
That feels right. I know that there was talk at the beginning about how the land was designed for Disneyland and then placed into Hollywood Studios, but it’s starting to seem like the land was *modified* to fit into Disneyland, and they reverted back to what they initially wanted for DHS.

RobWDW1971

I wonder if DL's colors were motivated by a desire to be a bit more Frontierland-ish when viewed from Big Thunder.

I think they were concerned about how the spires would look as a backdrop on the Rivers of America so they tried to make them more "neutral" - the problem with that decision is that it made the already too beige land even more washed out and the spires aren't even needed. When you're in the land, you don't have any perspective on the tall spires, especially the ones visible from the ROA.

If they focused on more interesting, lower rockwork (you can't see the main rockwork above the Falcon from ROA, for example) you could have both not been visible from ROA and had more opportunities to create an interesting color palette. This is just another unfortunate domino effect of shoehorning this into DL vs. DCA.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I also wonder if they decided to do paint schemes differently as tests, to eventually make both the same in later refurbs when they decide which they like more?

cjkeating

Any thoughts on how the 'in world' aspect of Pandora seems to work better than in Galaxy's Edge?

I haven't been to GE yet but I have a feeling that the fact that Pandora is connected to Earth via humans gives it a few get out clauses whereas Galaxy's Edge is a completely different universe (albeit in a galaxy far far away)?

ParkPeeker

I was watching the Imagineering videos and noticed them testing out a Bantha walk ride on the computer, was that ride cut due to budget? @marni1971
I read on micechat that it had to do with an east coast manager not approving of it or something, so it got cut 🙁. I’ll try to find it. Idk how much we can trust that info though

IMDREW

Btw, where are all the aliens? In almost every concept art there were aliens walking around. I remember that bounty hunter guy, a blue fellow behind the bar and many more.

And in the concept art Dok Ondar was green. And his store had green lighting and cool light effects. Little sad they again went with beige instead of the green like the art alluded to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom