Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

That looks like the way it is rolling out. The "unannounced" will be in construction mode about 1 year before SWL opening. TSL could be pushed back a little, there is a ton going on in that area to make things happen. In turn, SWL could fall back to early 2019, but they really want to be done with all construction by the end of 2020. (Early 2021).

*1023*

Ok, so you are suggesting a proposed timeline that goes something like this:
Early 2016: Rivers of Light opens [DAK]
Early 2017: Pandora opens [DAK]
Late 2017: Toy Story Land opens [DHS]
Late 2018: Star Wars Land opens [DHS]
2020: "Phase 3" (in the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon area) opens [DHS]

There's also Frozen Ever After and the revamp of Soarin' coming down the pike for Epcot in the next year or so. Plus, there's still the reported ~$350M each going to MK and Epcot in the near future. Hopefully, some new attractions would come of that -- or at least significant renovations (I'm looking at you, Imagination or Universe of Energy) -- or some new major entertainment like a new nighttime parade at MK.

Hopefully, this means that WDW will emerge from the stagnation plaguing it for the past decade.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

There's also Frozen Ever After and the revamp of Soarin' coming down the pike for Epcot in the next year or so. Plus, there's still the reported ~$350M each going to MK and Epcot in the near future. Hopefully, some new attractions would come of that -- or at least significant renovations (I'm looking at you, Imagination or Universe of Energy) -- or some new major entertainment like a new nighttime parade at MK.

Hopefully, this means that WDW will emerge from the stagnation plaguing it for the past decade.
Yes. That is fairly representative of what will happen. Again, that is barring large setbacks. I have no insight to add about the earmarks for MK and Epcot at this time.

*1023*

Haymarket2008

The construction update is terrific news. If they are able to get this thing open by December of 2018, I will be one happy guy. Although, the Epcot additions are what really interest me....

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
To be honest I would rather see Future world revamped-like what they did with test track for all of the rides-(the ones that aren't new or need some love) before Star Wars land is finished

I see your point, but as long time me of the two parks is drastically improved in the near future, I'll take it. The one thing Epcot does have going for it, is that world showcase is still full (even though many countries could use updating on quality of their presentations, as they're showing their age).

flyerjab

Yes. That is fairly representative of what will happen. Again, that is barring large setbacks. I have no insight to add about the earmarks for MK and Epcot at this time.

*1023*

Star Wars completed by end of 2018 would be almost unprecedented for WDW of late. Even early 2019. Does this echo park goer sentiment regarding the state of the parks with construction walls up seemingly forever? Or is WDW local management tired of expanded timelines for construction projects.

Also curious to see what insiders think concerning the announcement of the next round of DHS park expansions/refurbs/etc might happen. Is this now falling into the arena of marketing punch-counterpunch with UNI down the street? They announce Kong, Volcano Bay, partnership with Nintendo and Sapphire Falls. Disney counters at D23 with more concrete information on Pandora and RoL, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Frozen and Soarin for Epcot.

In re-reading my on post just now, I can't wait to see what is announced next for either park. We ultimately win. The path to 2021 is going to be great in Orlando. I suspect numerous additional announcements for WDW as this park prepares for the big 50th celebration. And I fully expect UNI to continue to punch back and push the envelope. Man has WDW needed this!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Star Wars completed by end of 2018 would be almost unprecedented for WDW of late. Even early 2019. Does this echo park goer sentiment regarding the state of the parks with construction walls up seemingly forever? Or is WDW local management tired of expanded timelines for construction projects.

Also curious to see what insiders think concerning the announcement of the next round of DHS park expansions/refurbs/etc might happen. Is this now falling into the arena of marketing punch-counterpunch with UNI down the street? They announce Kong, Volcano Bay, partnership with Nintendo and Sapphire Falls. Disney counters at D23 with more concrete information on Pandora and RoL, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Frozen and Soarin for Epcot.

In re-reading my on post just now, I can't wait to see what is announced next for either park. We ultimately win. The path to 2021 is going to be great in Orlando. I suspect numerous additional announcements for WDW as this park prepares for the big 50th celebration. And I fully expect UNI to continue to punch back and push the envelope. Man has WDW needed this!

Not really. Nothing WDW has built recently has taken much more then 3 years, and most took less.Yes, Fantasyland took over 3 years, but if they hadn't decided to change to the mine ride at the last minute it would likely have completed in less then 3 years. Each component of the land took less then 3 years.

Avatar looks like will come in a little over 3 years.

flyerjab

Not really. Nothing WDW has built recently has taken much more then 3 years, and most took less.Yes, Fantasyland took over 3 years, but if they hadn't decided to change to the mine ride at the last minute it would likely have completed in less then 3 years. Each component of the land took less then 3 years.

Avatar looks like will come in a little over 3 years.

If I recall correctly, wasn't there some initial plan that had this taking 5+ years but someone or some people here indicated that the timeline was shot down because it was way too long.

I think the reason I stated that initially was because I think that many posters say how Disney takes forever to build something. Also, for those that listen to the dos unplugged poscasts, Pete constantly rips Disney for taking too long, his favorite example being the Orange Parking Garage at DS taking 18 months, vs Transformers at UNI that took under a year.

Maybe if both new lands were built without overlapping project plans it might take long, but now it seems that simultaneous builds might be happening, which is awesome. I think @1023 hinted at movement behind the scenes to make this happen so that the next phases can be completed by 2021.

HauntedMansionFLA

Love this timeline. WDW will be back on track by 2020. I wonder if team Disney will wait to announce phase 3 and 4 when Universal makes an announcement. CarsLand would be cool. I really hope they keep a Indiana Jones presence at DHS if more movies coming up.

HauntedMansionFLA

If I recall correctly, wasn't there some initial plan that had this taking 5+ years but someone or some people here indicated that the timeline was shot down because it was way too long.

I think the reason I stated that initially was because I think that many posters say how Disney takes forever to build something. Also, for those that listen to the dos unplugged poscasts, Pete constantly rips Disney for taking too long, his favorite example being the Orange Parking Garage at DS taking 18 months, vs Transformers at UNI that took under a year.

Maybe if both new lands were built without overlapping project plans it might take long, but now it seems that simultaneous builds might be happening, which is awesome. I think @1023 hinted at movement behind the scenes to make this happen so that the next phases can be completed by 2021.
Man, I hope so. The next year will be interesting.

trevorfs

I see your point, but as long time me of the two parks is drastically improved in the near future, I'll take it. The one thing Epcot does have going for it, is that world showcase is still full (even though many countries could use updating on quality of their presentations, as they're showing their age).
true

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think you are referring to the initial plan for the entire park makeover not any single part of it.

I am not trying to refute that Disney builds slowly, am just saying based on previous construction times 3 years is not unreasonable for Disney.

flyerjab

I think you are referring to the initial plan for the entire park makeover not any single part of it.

I am not trying to refute that Disney builds slowly, am just saying based on previous construction times 3 years is not unreasonable for Disney.

Good point. I guess the real question is if 3 years itself is too long. To me it seems reasonable I suppose, especially for a 14 acre land with 2 signature attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom