Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mat Cauthon

A star wars killed my brother once.

Once!
10202ously.jpg

sndral

I think Disney expected to hit a home run with SWL/GE, & right now, judging by the lack of crowds, not only have they struck out, they managed to negatively impact overall DL attendance numbers.
Regarding the sales of merchandise, it’s possible eBay resellers are scooping up merchandise.
I’m a native N. Californian, but it seems that literally everyone in Southern California knows someone who works/worked at DL (heck I have 2 friends & a niece who are former DL CMs) word gets out, if there was excitement about the new land/ride, locals would pay to check it out. Apparently there’s no buzz about a new hybrid mission space (green side)/star tours ride, so no one is wasting their time or money to visit.
I guess this is what Pandora would have been like if they’d opened the land w/ only Navi. Indeed, during the whole never ending time Disney was building Pandora everyone who ‘hated’ the movie swore they’d never bother to go to the land, I assume those people still hate the movie, but they sure showed up at the land & continue to do so, thus the popularity/lack of popularity of the IP seems to not be that important to the popularity of a new ride/land.
The advertising was for a new land, which to the current management means 2 rides, which is a stretch IMO, then, they failed to even deliver the promised 2 rides & the one they did deliver has received mixed reviews - seemingly dependent on whether you get to be a pilot.
Perhaps things will pick up this weekend or 4th of July weekend, or perhaps not until they actually finish the second ride.
My concern is that if indeed this is a massive fail, it’ll be a long time before we see $$$ devoted to new attractions.

Last edited:

peter11435

I think Disney expected to hit a home run with SWL/GE, & right now, judging by the lack of crowds, not only have they struck out, they managed to negatively impact overall DL attendance numbers.
Regarding the sales of merchandise, it’s possible eBay resellers are scooping up merchandise.
I’m a native N. Californian, but it seems that literally everyone in Southern California knows someone who works/worked at DL (heck I have 2 friends & a niece who are former DL CMs) word gets out, if there was excitement about the new land/ride, locals would pay to check it out. Apparently there’s no buzz about a new hybrid mission space (green side)/star tours ride, so no one is wasting their time or money to visit.
I guess this is what Pandora would have been like if they’d opened the land w/ only Navi. The advertising was for a new land, which to the current management means 2 rides, which is a stretch IMO, then, they failed to even deliver the promised 2 rides.
Perhaps things will pick up this weekend or 4th of July weekend, or perhaps not until they actually finish the second ride.
My concern is that if indeed this is a massive fail, it’ll be a long time before we see $$$ devoted to new attractions.
There are several reasons for what is currently going on at Disneyland. Galaxies edge not being a home run is not one of them.

jt04

I remember suggesting they should open both GEs at the same time with something Star Wars at every park globally. I also said this is likely how Eisner would have done it. But I understand the phased openings too.

Ultimately these lands will be incredibly successful. And there is no way if I was in SoCal I would miss the opportunity to visit while there is still elbow room. IMO.

sndral

There are several reasons for what is currently going on at Disneyland. Galaxies edge not being a home run is not one of them.
Ok, I’m just shocked at the lack of crowds.
I remember suggesting they should open both GEs at the same time with something Star Wars at every park globally. I also said this is likely how Eisner would have done it. But I understand the phased openings too.

Ultimately these lands will be incredibly successful. And there is no way if I was in SoCal I would miss the opportunity to visit while there is still elbow room. IMO.
I’m 5-6 hours away & haven’t been to DL in years (I fly east to WDW once a year) and am tempted to head south just to enjoy the empty parks, but I am afraid that by the time I got there they’d be packed, lol.

WDW Pro

Do you realize that people are still afraid that Galaxy's Edge is going to be crazy because they don't follow forums or Facebook groups the way some of us do? Someone told me just yesterday that she's been trying to get her friends to go with her but they keep refusing because they're convinced it will be a madhouse.

I think we all remember how many times we've seen this before. Remember when the Harry Potter lands have opened and nobody went because they were scared of crowds? Remember when Pandora opened and Flight of Passage had a 30 minute wait because everyone was scared of crowds? Oh and Cars Land... boy that was crazy, right? Remember when Radiator Springs was a walk-on near closing on the first day because of those darn great attempts at keeping people away from an awesome expansion?

Exactly. This isn’t because there is no demand for galaxies edge. This is because there is the perception of insane demand scaring off many combined with excessive blackouts limiting others.

Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck... Remember, folks, if nobody eats the pizza, it isn't because people didn't want the pizza, it's because people were just scared so many other people wanted that pizza too.

Don't you just love when newbies (self-proclaimed Pro) join the forums just to troll. If it was only Star Wars the rest of the park would be seeing its normal crowds. I think the big mistake made here is blocking out APs which are the usual summertime mass in Disneyland. They expected the non-AP crowd to fill in the empty space left by the blocked APs and it didn't happen. This is because the average Disney fan doesn't know about block out dates and are avoiding the perceived crowds. I personally have planned to avoid the crowds of GE until all the attractions are open.

Once you've resorted to name-calling, you've already subconsciously accepted the losing side. If you tell me a square has three sides, I can easily disprove you. And since it's clear that a square has four sides, if you're in the wrong the only option is a good name-calling fiesta. Because those darn "four-side theorists" about squares are just newbies and trolls... damned be the evidence of the argument.

Do you realize how stupid it is to present an argument that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said?
My point isn’t that crowds aren’t low and far below what they should be.
My point is toward people who are suggesting that the reason is because Star Wars isn’t popular anymore or because the new land is terrible.
My point is that if you look at all of the factors, to believe THAT is the reason is idiotic. My evidence is that if THOSE were the reasons, the park would still be full but GE would be empty.
That isn’t the case.
The obvious reasons would be
1. No national marketing
2. Scared people off with MASSIVE CROWD talk
3. People are waiting for the entire land to open
4. Price Increases
5. They’ve spread out the IMMEDIATE demand more than they expected by using the reservation system and staggering the ride openings

Oh no, I agree with you 100%. An empty billion dollar expansion and managers meeting twice daily to slash employee hours is a strong sign that Star Wars demand has never been higher. Thank God that Disney has never opened anything like this before, and thus didn't know how to market a new expansion, scared everyone poopless that dared even think about stepping foot on their new expansion, managed to open with flying the Millenium Falcon -- which NOBODY ever wanted to do --, and used crowd wizardry to make it seem like people are actually at Knotts Berry Farm and Universal, even though we all know they're totally not.

WDW Pro

No name calling occurred. Just stating facts. Newbie means someone who just joined and troll in this case was used as a verb not a name. Continue with your proof.

Because "trolling" as a verb doesn't make you a "troll" as a noun, neither are pejoratives, as opposed to recognizing someone has a differing opinion than you.

Semantic games are fun, eh?

peter11435

I think we all remember how many times we've seen this before. Remember when the Harry Potter lands have opened and nobody went because they were scared of crowds? Remember when Pandora opened and Flight of Passage had a 30 minute wait because everyone was scared of crowds? Oh and Cars Land... boy that was crazy, right? Remember when Radiator Springs was a walk-on near closing on the first day because of those darn great attempts at keeping people away from an awesome expansion?

Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck... Remember, folks, if nobody eats the pizza, it isn't because people didn't want the pizza, it's because people were just scared so many other people wanted that pizza too.

Once you've resorted to name-calling, you've already subconsciously accepted the losing side. If you tell me a square has three sides, I can easily disprove you. And since it's clear that a square has four sides, if you're in the wrong the only option is a good name-calling fiesta. Because those darn "four-side theorists" about squares are just newbies and trolls... damned be the evidence of the argument.

Oh no, I agree with you 100%. An empty billion dollar expansion and managers meeting twice daily to slash employee hours is a strong sign that Star Wars demand has never been higher. Thank God that Disney has never opened anything like this before, and thus didn't know how to market a new expansion, scared everyone poopless that dared even think about stepping foot on their new expansion, managed to open with flying the Millenium Falcon -- which NOBODY ever wanted to do --, and used crowd wizardry to make it seem like people are actually at Knotts Berry Farm and Universal, even though we all know they're totally not.
Your pizza analogy is incredibly weak but your ability to ignore facts is strong.

WDW Pro

Your pizza analogy is incredibly weak but your ability to ignore facts is strong.

Name the fact being ignored.

By the way, I know everything is peachy-keen over in Disneyland... so peachy-keen that they just effectively cut ticket prices by 50% three days after their billion dollar expansion opened.

One-day park hopper tickets have now been cut from $199 to $99 for all AP holders and their friends. I'm sure that was planned though... totally planned.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ual-passholders-bring-a-friend-this-summer-2/

ImperfectPixie

By the way, I know everything is peachy-keen over in Disneyland... so peachy-keen that they just effectively cut ticket prices by 50% three days after their billion dollar expansion opened.

One-day park hopper tickets have now been cut from $199 to $99 for all AP holders and their friends. I'm sure that was planned though... totally planned.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ual-passholders-bring-a-friend-this-summer-2/
They did that at Disney World two weeks ago. Your point is?

peter11435

You realize the vast majority of Disneyland annual pass holders are still blocked out of Disneyland right?

Ryan120420

You realize the vast majority of Disneyland annual pass holders are still blocked out of Disneyland right?

Annual Pass holders can buy these tickets for them selfs to use on a blockout date. E

Disney didn't do this for CarsLand, heck for the first year and half of CarsLand there were zero discounts for 1 day tickets to the Disneyland Resort and the parks were slammed.

Not looking good for Galaxy's edge right now. I imagine that if things don't improve Deluxe pass holders will be un blocked to Disneyland next.

peter11435

Annual Pass holders can buy these tickets for them selfs to use on a blockout date. E

Disney didn't do this for CarsLand, heck for the first year and half of CarsLand there were zero discounts for 1 day tickets to the Disneyland Resort and the parks were slammed.

Not looking good for Galaxy's edge right now. I imagine that if things don't improve Deluxe pass holders will be un blocked to Disneyland next.
Yes annual pass holders can buy them. The only reason they would though is because they are blocked out currently. That is my point.

For Carsland they didn’t exclude nearly all Annual passholders for months, nor was there perception of anticipated unprecedented demand.

Galaxies edge and Disneyland will be just fine. Demand is their and reviews and word of mouth are positive.

WDW Pro

They did that at WDW in a pre-planned marketing promotion to help pick up attendance without their big new expansion opening. If Disneyland had been part of that pre-planned promotion, it would have been announced simultaneously. It wasn't. Additionally, with DLR being so comprised of annual pass holders, this is essentially a 50%+ reduction in ticket prices there after only three days of their billion dollar investment being open. At Disney World, AP holders are a much smaller percentage, and I think it was only available to non-FL resident versions of the AP... which is a very small percentage. I took advantage of it on the first day though, so it was helpful to me :)

If you'd read my posts you'd know the answer to that.

peter11435

They did that at WDW in a pre-planned marketing promotion to help pick up attendance without their big new expansion opening. If Disneyland had been part of that pre-planned promotion, it would have been announced simultaneously. It wasn't. Additionally, with DLR being so comprised of annual pass holders, this is essentially a 50%+ reduction in ticket prices there after only three days of their billion dollar investment being open. At Disney World, AP holders are a much smaller percentage, and I think it was only available to non-FL resident versions of the AP... which is a very small percentage. I took advantage of it on the first day though, so it was helpful to me :)

If you'd read my posts you'd know the answer to that.
I’ve read your posts. That’s how I know you are good at ignoring facts.

Joesixtoe

WDW GE isn't open yet, that's his point. GE just opened at DLR, and tickets are slashed 50%... Listen I really want this land to thrive, this is something I've dreamt about for a long time, I hope this all works out, cause I know I'm gonna love GE even if others don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom