Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

GlacierGlacier

The site that shall not be named is reporting that Falcon will have a single rider line built, although they aren't sure if it will be like FoP where it is built and not used.

Can someone in the know explain what happened with the FoP single rider line? They built it and had signage but never used it, correct? But currently they have a sort of unofficial single rider line after the merge. Why is it that single rider works after the merge but not before?
The FoP line never had a full "single-rider" line built afaik. They built the sign into the entrance, but the sign led right into the fastpass queue. The single-rider entrance was never used, however, and the sign was removed a few months after open.

It's far easier for them to split the single riders into their own queues during the pre-preshow area - the ramps going up and downwards to the scanning chambers.

peter11435

The site that shall not be named is reporting that Falcon will have a single rider line built, although they aren't sure if it will be like FoP where it is built and not used.

Can someone in the know explain what happened with the FoP single rider line? They built it and had signage but never used it, correct? But currently they have a sort of unofficial single rider line after the merge. Why is it that single rider works after the merge but not before?
Because they use it to find actual parties of 1 to ensure that every seat is filled. As opposed to guests in larger parties than 1 getting in single rider lines simply to have a shorter wait and then often causing problems when reaching the load areas.

The single rider line is about maximizing efficiency not about saving single guests time.

Furiated

The FoP line never had a full "single-rider" line built afaik. They built the sign into the entrance, but the sign led right into the fastpass queue. The single-rider entrance was never used, however, and the sign was removed a few months after open.

It's far easier for them to split the single riders into their own queues during the pre-preshow area - the ramps going up and downwards to the scanning chambers.
Because they use it to find actual parties of 1 to ensure that every seat is filled. As opposed to guests in larger parties than 1 getting in single rider lines simply to have a shorter wait and then often causing problems when reaching the load areas.

The single rider line is about maximizing efficiency not about saving single guests time.

Ah, so it's at least partially to cut down on what happens sometimes on RnRC where a party of 10 gets in the single rider line even though they aren't single riders, and once you get inside the building the single rider line is longer than regular standby? And then when they get seat assignments, they all try and get people to switch so they can sit together.

No Name

There is no issue whatsoever with a large group entering the single rider line or claiming to be single riders at a merge so long as they fully understand and accept that they will not be sitting together. I do that all the time with groups of people. But groups who enter the single rider line and then cause issues at load is one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the first things I expressed displeasure with in my time here.

EricsBiscuit

But I still don't see why they can't have it open to save people time and maximize efficiency.

AEfx

That's what I read too. Trackless ride vehicles aren't currently great at slopes - either going up or down them.

That is part of the reason I am not the biggest fan of them. Or at least most of the implementations I have seen. I know most of them do some cutesy little "dance" sequence or some other gimmick to justify the technology, but most of the times I'm like - it's just a flat floor. It's too bad we can't just walk around LOL.

That said, I have higher hopes to be impressed here as I think the environment and the experience will be more tailored to the vehicles than we have previously seen in other attractions.

gorillaball

But I still don't see why they can't have it open to save people time and maximize efficiency.

I don’t think the logistics of the ride (speaking of FoP) make sense to have a dedicated one, not enough volume when you compare to a couple rides that do have a dedicated one. EE and RnR for example dispatches what, every minute and every group of 3, 5 or 7 must have a single rider. So there are multiple single riders every train and it moves quick so you need them staged and ready. If you didn’t have single riders then you probably lose 5% of your capacity. Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers w 3x3 seating format is even more extreme. Flight of Passage (and Soarin for that matter) only need a single rider if any sort of combination doesn’t equate to 16 and if it doesn’t you are at most losing 1/16, not losing one spot for every odd group like the other examples. Dispatch is only every 6 or so minutes but once you look at 4 theatres and 3 levels no reason to view that different than the coasters. It’s primarily the staging of 16 seat sections vs 2 or 3 seats. The impact on capacity if you didn’t fill the seats would be much less and you have ample time in the staging area to fill the few seats that have the need.

With the lower volume needed imagine if it was segregated from the line start, you go all the way through the line and get into the building only to see 200 single riders lined up and you are now in a line that will take longer than the standby line to cycle through. Now they could address this with a single rider wait time published but I still argue all the other factors make it unnecessary for any change from current setup.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

I don’t think the logistics of the ride (speaking of FoP) make sense to have a dedicated one, not enough volume when you compare to a couple rides that do have a dedicated one. EE and RnR for example dispatches what, every minute and every group of 3, 5 or 7 must have a single rider. So there are multiple single riders every train and it moves quick so you need them staged and ready. If you didn’t have single riders then you probably lose 5% of your capacity. Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers w 3x3 seating format is even more extreme. Flight of Passage (and Soarin for that matter) only need a single rider if any sort of combination doesn’t equate to 16 and if it doesn’t you are at most losing 1/16, not losing one spot for every odd group like the other examples. Dispatch is only every 6 or so minutes but once you look at 4 theatres and 3 levels no reason to view that different than the coasters. It’s primarily the staging of 16 seat sections vs 2 or 3 seats. The impact on capacity if you didn’t fill the seats would be much less and you have ample time in the staging area to fill the few seats that have the need.

With the lower volume needed imagine if it was segregated from the line start, you go all the way through the line and get into the building only to see 200 single riders lined up and you are now in a line that will take longer than the standby line to cycle through. Now they could address this with a single rider wait time published but I still argue all the other factors make it unnecessary for any change from current setup.
The current setup works. But, I love single rider lines. For example, Tokyo Disney does a great job with theirs. There's like a single rider line for almost every E. Splash Mountain was a walk on when the standby was 70 mins and so on.

GlacierGlacier

That is part of the reason I am not the biggest fan of them. Or at least most of the implementations I have seen. I know most of them do some cutesy little "dance" sequence or some other gimmick to justify the technology, but most of the times I'm like - it's just a flat floor. It's too bad we can't just walk around LOL.

That said, I have higher hopes to be impressed here as I think the environment and the experience will be more tailored to the vehicles than we have previously seen in other attractions.
I still think EMVs are the best ride system ever built, but it's an opinion based in a lot of subjective reasoning.

LPS vehicles are cool when done right. To be done right, the ride needs to make use of the advantages of an LPS, like having dynamic sets that move and adjust over where ride vehicles has passed. Or having a group of ride vehicles take paths independent of each other, like those dance or ballet things you were talking about.

If you're not making use of the core features/advantages of the system, you might reconsider using the system in the first place.

EricsBiscuit

Because the same benefits to maximize efficiency can be achieved by pulling actual singles out of line like they do at flight of passage. And this avoids the constant issues of single riders refusing to be separated.
It's always a few that ruin it for the rest of us. What a shame. It's not like every single rider does that.

Furiated

Not every, no. But it happens far more frequently than you would imagine.

As a frequent single rider, I see this all the time at RnRC. Not sure why that one ride brings out the troublemakers. One time a CM had to firmly move people back that were going up and down the line trying to get people to switch. I was so happy that she didn't cave, single rider means you don't sit together! I left her a cast compliment.

Furiated

So it sounds like FoP took down their dedicated signage and line because they don't need single riders as frequently as something like Test Track, which makes sense based on grouping and seating configuration. I'm guessing that Falcon will need them more often then FoP because of the seating, and that you want more people actually pressing buttons and to create the feeling of a full crew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom