Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone should time how long it takes to walk through the Indy template and ride the ride. I think most people would be shocked at how long it takes to just cycle through a ride.

Heck, sit and wait for someone riding soarin and see how that takes like 15+ minutes because of the cycling and staging.

As for the “traction” of the story... of course everyone would latch onto the idea of an epic long ride in their most desirable place. It’s placating to exactly what people want to hear.

The problem is it’s going to set the wrong expectations and lead to people to whine about it once they experience the real thing... no matter how accurate your promise was. It’s about people want to hear... not what you are actual saying.

sedati

Looks like the location of the Resistance turret (photo by Slashfilm) through which we will enter the queue as seen in today's Bioreconstruct aerials:
IMG_3976.jpg

Dx1wpN1VYAID6KP.jpg large.jpg

Dx1uKZXVAAA7e1k.jpg

Standby on left, Fastpass right.

DisneyDodo

Unfortunately this narrative of it being a 28 minute ride seems to have picked up steam -- I've seen it flying around the net many times in different places just this week alone, with comments reflecting tremendous excitement at the idea of the ride being so long.

I just hope someone at Disney takes note of how thrilled people seem to be that a ride could be this long! It definitely seems to disagree with the narrative that people want shorter and shorter attractions due to "attention spans". The idea has never made sense to me that the same kids who can watch an entire 13 hour season of TV in one sitting can't keep up with a ride longer than 5 minutes after waiting 90 to get on it.
I would be shocked if there was a single person at Disney who believes guests want shorter rides. What they do believe is that there are decreasing returns to increasing ride time (i.e. the amount of money they would need to spend to make the ride longer would not result in a proportional increase in guest satisfaction/popularity). They are also aware that the amount of money guests spend while on a ride is $0. I've never heard any Disney employee mention that they are making shorter rides in order to cater to guests' desires, but I'm sure it's very welcoming to them that so many people seem to be under the impression that that's the case.

yensidtlaw1969

I would be shocked if there was a single person at Disney who believes guests want shorter rides. What they do believe is that there are decreasing returns to increasing ride time (i.e. the amount of money they would need to spend to make the ride longer would not result in a proportional increase in guest satisfaction/popularity). They are also aware that the amount of money guests spend while on a ride is $0. I've never heard any Disney employee mention that they are making shorter rides in order to cater to guests' desires, but I'm sure it's very welcoming to them that so many people seem to be under the impression that that's the case.
That, unfortunately, is a very good point.

britain

At the DAK After Hours, it took us at least 17 minutes to cycle through FoP. Such a lengthy exit and queue lines, plus the double spiel rooms, plus the ride. That length of time, plus hiking up three stories each time made us stop after seven go-rounds. :)

Ha! THERE’s your deterrent for people staying in the land! Make the queues long slogs!

BrianLo

Is this the first time we're hearing that RotR has a single rider line?!

I've been saying it since D23 at least, having seen the three distinct entrances. One obviously heading towards the extended queue and the other two towards the pre-show.

It's kind of the 'near-perfect' single rider setup. Discreet seats in a row. You need single riders for groups of 3, 5, (groups of 6 that refuse to split up logically) and 7. Only outdone by Radiator Springs Racers that needs a single riders for groups of 2, 4 (x2 single riders), 5 and 7.

Unlike Flight of Passage there is more consistent throughput and probably not enough time for CM's to pull single riders out of standby.

What we don't really know is Smugglers Run. Just based on the seating configuration you don't really have the same issues splitting up parties. Only really groups of 5 truly warrant a single rider.

BrianLo

We’ll see. Honestly I think the best use of single rider is the avatar model where everyone waits in line and then there’s a division at the last point. That way every seat gets filled, but no one cheats the system.

It only works in that model where sufficient time is allowed for CM's to organize showrooms/single ride pods over a period of several minutes. (i.e. Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Soarin').

It does not work in a consistently loading line. People are generally too incompetent to sort themselves out ahead of time. The Pandora model would lead CM's to just giving up and sending out many empty seats.

Pandora also needs far fewer single riders than this line will require. The actual true frequency of single riders is not significant enough. If you are an actual party of >1 person, you won't be interested in splitting your party if you've waited the full standby length.

sedati

It only works in that model where sufficient time is allowed for CM's to organize showrooms/single ride pods over a period of several minutes. (i.e. Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Soarin').

It does not work in a consistently loading line. People are generally too incompetent to sort themselves out ahead of time. The Pandora model would lead CM's to just giving up and sending out many empty seats.

Pandora also needs far fewer single riders than this line will require. The actual true frequency of single riders is not significant enough. If you are an actual party of >1 person, you won't be interested in splitting your party if you've waited the full standby length.
There would be no difference if everyone went through the whole experience including the shuttle onto the Star destroyer in a standby line. Then split before entering the cell block. They need to curtail abuse and let as many as possible have one ride before letting others exploit a flaw for multiple rides. This is my opinion of course- I don’t know what they’re going to do, and certainly there’s going to be a learning curve. We’ll see.

BrianLo

There would be no difference if everyone went through the whole experience including the shuttle onto the Star destroyer in a standby line. Then split before entering the cell block. They need to curtail abuse and let as many as possible have one ride before letting others exploit a flaw for multiple rides. This is my opinion of course- I don’t know what they’re going to do, and certainly there’s going to be a learning curve. We’ll see.

But if you’ve waited the full time, why would you be willing to split up your party?

The single rider line does not increase standby wait times if CM’s are doing their job correctly.

sedati

But if you’ve waited the full time, why would you be willing to split up your party?

The single rider line does not increase standby wait times if CM’s are doing their job correctly.
To further clarify, maybe they need to redefine “Single Rider” as “Solo Party,” which conveniently automatically gives it a Star Wars tie in.
If you have a people, then you are not Solo, and thus do not belong in the Solo line.

gmajew

Premium Member
Man I was really excited when I heard the ride time being put out on major news sites..... Sad to find out it is just more FAKE NEWS!

doctornick

How would single rider work on RotR given the pre-show component? Merge would have to be before that, right? And it sounds like there is more waiting after that so all the riders would be mixed together at that point before entering the ride vehicle proper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom