Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you're saying here. #11 is part of the queue to Battle Escape. And it's not nearly as close to the hotel as is behind #6 where Martin has already indicated where hotel guests will be entering.

A617641F-6BC2-4127-BC01-51F752929350.png

sedati

On the most recent Disney Dish podcast, Jim and @lentesta discussed Alcatraz and spoke seemingly in known aspects of the attraction. I know at one point it was discussed that there would be a disembarkation of the ride vehicle but that seems to have been dismissed. They did however indicate that the second part of the attraction would feature some sort of augmented reality helmet. Has this been discussed by anyone else?
I like Jim, but I think the info in that episode was about as accurate as his pronunciation of AT-AT.

tomast

I can really imagine how good the atmosphere is going to be, star wars has this strange look like if we put Animal Kingdom theaming (africa and asia), trhow them some round buildings and some storm troopers and you get a perfect Star Wars plannet!

It would really really cool if Disney manage to put some more theaming on "food" and by that l dont mean a star wars cupcake or a dessert party, but maybe they should put something disgusting as some kind of food that other alien spicies might eat idk, moving tentacles and slime. I know thats may be a little too much but it would be cool!

Maybe a disgusting alien with some cooking pot full of steam and speaking something that you can not understand

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Dear God, no!

Don't worry. Jim Hill has shown no insight on Battle Escape getting many things wrong. Whatever source he has, they ain't connected with SWL.

Iger has specifically said they're not doing VR, and AR helmets fall within that category. Not to mention the sheer difficulty of operations of putting them on mid-ride and then dumping them in recycling containers to be cleaned.

Not happening.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Disney Research has been doing quite a lot of AR development. I personally doubt it, but @marni1971 would probably know for sure.

Btw, Iger said no VR in the parks, but actually promoted AR's usage (seemingly including helmets).
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-disney-augmented-reality-20170323-story.html

Reading that article more closely... it's all over the place.

Seem Iger is interested in AR for things like Jedi Academy. But even then, AR goggles/helmets have a lot of tech built in them to make them work. You can't just dump them in a bin to run through an automated washer. For now, they're very impractical for a high capacity ride.

Mike S

Reading that article more closely... it's all over the place.

Seem Iger is interested in AR for things like Jedi Academy. But even then, AR goggles/helmets have a lot of tech built in them to make them work. You can't just dump them in a bin to run through an automated washer. For now, they're very impractical for a high capacity ride.
AR doesn’t have to be goggles like VR does. There are apps that do AR with the phones screen and camera without having it on your face.

LukeS7

AR doesn’t have to be goggles like VR does. There are apps that do AR with the phones screen and camera without having it on your face.
I mean, yea, but in order for it to be immersive, it needs to be a wearable. Take Pokemon Go, for instance, it doesn't immerse you in any way having the AR on because you're still just staring at your phone, just with the view of your camera behind what you're looking at.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On the most recent Disney Dish podcast, Jim and @lentesta discussed Alcatraz and spoke seemingly in known aspects of the attraction. I know at one point it was discussed that there would be a disembarkation of the ride vehicle but that seems to have been dismissed. They did however indicate that the second part of the attraction would feature some sort of augmented reality helmet. Has this been discussed by anyone else?
Nope.

The Pho

AR and VR are completely different things, VR creates the experience while AR enhances the experience. AR is far more reasonable than VR for an attraction like this. They could easily have AR built into something the same size as the 3D glasses they use. Something like Microsoft's HoloLens could work. I have ski goggles that use AR to allow me to watch where I'm going while feeding me info, they're waterproof so easily washable, they'd just have to dump the bulky padded goggle parts. I'd be a little surprised if they required helmets to ride, I feel like that would cause some people to get concerned, plus helmets are bulky and hard for them to clean. But AR is certainly possible if they want.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

True, but I think its a bit of a misnomer to call the augmented video that handheld screens do "augmented reality". No one nowadays calls a fully generated scene in a video a 'virtual reality.' Until it's all you see by way of goggles or glasses or sci-fi projection onto your retinas, it's not a 'reality' that is virtual. And until you put on goggles or a glasses which have an overlay image, it shouldn't be called "augmented reality", IMO. It's an augmented video.

Anyways... the Jim Hill rumor is a helmet, not making everyone pull out their cell phone.

tomast

AR and VR are completely different things, VR creates the experience while AR enhances the experience. AR is far more reasonable than VR for an attraction like this.

For me the Dumbledore , harry and friends on Hogwarts ride queue, the begining of FF supercharged and the ex- preshow of Disaster! are AR eaven the ghosts in HM and tinkerbell on peter pan queue. Its putting digital assets in a real enviorment. Because you dont have a helmet on does not mean its not the same. Maybe it need some kind of interaction but its the same idea.

With helmet or without it. If they manage tu put a "big helmet" arround the vehicle would it be the same as individual helmets?? and if there is no helmet in the car but holoilusions at the set like pandora river journey isnt it the same??

Mike S

True, but I think its a bit of a misnomer to call the augmented video that handheld screens do "augmented reality". No one nowadays calls a fully generated scene in a video a 'virtual reality.' Until it's all you see by way of goggles or glasses or sci-fi projection onto your retinas, it's not a 'reality' that is virtual. And until you put on goggles or a glasses which have an overlay image, it shouldn't be called "augmented reality", IMO. It's an augmented video.

Anyways... the Jim Hill rumor is a helmet, not making everyone pull out their cell phone.
That’s why it’s called “augmented” reality and not “virtual” reality.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That’s why it’s called “augmented” reality and not “virtual” reality.

There's a world of difference between AR on goggles such that you're fooled into thinking that something is there in real 3D space and looking at a screen and seeing a 2D animation overlaid a 2D video. Yes, both are called "AR", but, they shouldn't be, IMO, given how very different those two experiences are.

The rumor according to Hill is that were getting a helmet for that immersive type of AR, which is quite incredulous. Piping up that AR can be done on a hand-held screen really adds nothing to this conjecture.

JJJ

There's a world of difference between AR on goggles such that you're fooled into thinking that something is there in real 3D space and looking at a screen and seeing a 2D animation overlaid a 2D video. Yes, both are called "AR", but, they shouldn't be, IMO, given how very different those two experiences are.

The rumor according to Hill is that were getting a helmet for that immersive type of AR, which is quite incredulous. Piping up that AR can be done on a hand-held screen really adds nothing to this conjecture.
I think the capacity issue was solved already by the Aladdin VR attraction at Disney quest. But, that doesn't make it a better idea, or mean it's likey to happen. In my opinion, VR and AR should stay out of the attractions in the park. If it's something that's accessible in the comfort of your own home, that doesn't provide an incentive for guests to visit the parks. However, adding an AR component to the play Disney parks app or having an AR tour guide around the parks could be pretty cool.

I'll also take the stance that AR on phones is still AR, but maybe we can add the "mobile" qualifier. That's why the platforms are called AR Core for Android and AR kit for iOS. Though the quality of something like the hololense or Magic Leap headsets and what I can do on my Google Pixel are worlds apart, both are still augmenting the space we see in front of us, so it's proper to refer to both as AR. But it really doesn't matter;everyone will know what you're talking about anyway.

As an aside, it's really a misnomer to call attractions like Soarin', Jimmy Fallon, and Flight of Passage VR attractions. For me, VR is the thing you experience with a headset and involve a complete separation from reality. Though the attractions have a large screen presenting another "reality," you are still firmly planted in your seat and can still see others in your reality as themselves. We have a better word for those attractions, and that's simulators.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom