Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Marc Davis Fan

I was at Disneyland on Saturday and I simply cannot see how in the world they expect to absorb the crowds in that park. Say what you will about our capacity, but DL is screwed. I admit it was my first time there, but my God, the logjam of humanity that occurred at Pirates and the Haunted Mansion was incredible during the day. Then I made the mistake of trying to get through it during Fantasmic. It was a sea of people. If they can't handle traffic now, then there is no chance they will be able to handle it when SW:GE is open. At least we have the land in a separate park.

It really depends on the day. On a high-attendance day, places like NOS are just too crowded. On an average/low attendance day, the smaller spaces really create a charm that, IMO, is rarely found at WDW. Now that they're doing the tiered ticketing system, crowds have evened out more, so there are fewer extreme days.

Goofyernmost

Thank you for your concern, but I’m not upset. Not about that anyway.

I was merely pointing out the ratio of new additions vs replacement.
Yup, and I was commenting on the net gain or net loss aspect. We might have lost two mediocre attractions, but, the net gain is going to be much bigger then what can be counted on one's fingers.

jt04

There’s nothing armchair about the alarm bells that have gone off at TDO.

Make the opening weeks for DVC, then add platinum, then gold etc. That will help with the initial wave.

Or, special event evening tickets only for a couple months. Priced as necessary.

tomast

I had never seen this before! It's a fully-stitched and pan-able 3D model of the land! Completely fan-made it seems, but of surprisingly decent quality (it's far from perfect, but decent). Check it out!
https://sketchfab.com/models/6d59354a4eda4745ac2bb655e75486c3

For one moment i was specting to see something like this
1200px-The_Land_entrance.jpg

tomast

There are a few additions planned, if they’ll happen I don’t know.

Technically SWL is replacing Lights, Motors Action (a huge attraction) and the Backlot Theatre, which was an attraction until the company decided to save money and mothball it.

Fantasyland also lost an attraction in SWSA. It gained two attractions, which is a net gain of one. Depending on your point of view this was a gain or a standstill if like you said you bring 20K into the equation.

I know it does not seems fair to say that there are replacement but in fact at the very end they are. I am sure that in most cases it was time for a replacement. I love the old studios, it was and will ever be my favorite Disney park. But it was getting dated.

The only really problem of the replacements over adding new atractions is that every year disney is building more hotels and accommodation for guests because there are actualy more and more guest going to the parks. But ,the parks, have the same size and space to offer. Making the parks full of crowds. One solution is rising prices, but how much time can you fight crowds with price increase?? I don't think we need a new park but we might need some expansions at the existing ones.

Franklin47disneyguy

I think we DO need a new park in the future, which doesn't mean they can go lazy with the current ones. Adventureland can use a new e-ticket over at MK. AK is a very good park but lacks one thing a theme park is about: rides. A new ride in Pandora and Africa (Maybe LK if the remake makes a good box-office?) Epcot needs at least 4-5 rides to ws and in future world imagination, wol and the seas need new and more ambitious rides. And DHS... At least 8 rides to fill the park. Miss those days when lands had 6+ rides in them, sad to see that gone. But what I never understood is why TDO never realized that two rides won't do the trick for sw in a park with only 6 rides.

tomast

I think we DO need a new park in the future, which doesn't mean they can go lazy with the current ones. Adventureland can use a new e-ticket over at MK. AK is a very good park but lacks one thing a theme park is about: rides. A new ride in Pandora and Africa (Maybe LK if the remake makes a good box-office?) Epcot needs at least 4-5 rides to ws and in future world imagination, wol and the seas need new and more ambitious rides. And DHS... At least 8 rides to fill the park. Miss those days when lands had 6+ rides in them, sad to see that gone. But what I never understood is why TDO never realized that two rides won't do the trick for sw in a park with only 6 rides.

The SWL aproach is correct. I think they make a mistake with ToyStory land, it has to be better. its a huge IP for two rides that are missing a bit. But furthermore there mistake was placing it next to SWL and not thinking of a possible expansion in coming years. Yes I know they just spend a ridiculous amount of money in SWL and in DHS no more money for it. But look what happend to Islands of adventure Harry Potter land and the need/profitable expansion to Universal studios and back again to a replacement of one of the rides. What if SWL is a great success?? if the atractions are as good as it is promise, and the inmersion is as good as we can see the IP has lot and lot of potential. It is not avatar...

Rich T

I was at Disneyland on Saturday and I simply cannot see how in the world they expect to absorb the crowds in that park. Say what you will about our capacity, but DL is screwed. I admit it was my first time there, but my God, the logjam of humanity that occurred at Pirates and the Haunted Mansion was incredible during the day. Then I made the mistake of trying to get through it during Fantasmic. It was a sea of people. If they can't handle traffic now, then there is no chance they will be able to handle it when SW:GE is open. At least we have the land in a separate park.
I was in Disneyland this past Saturday, too! You forgot to mention that the parks were mobbed ALL DAY even though IT RAINED NEARLY ALL DAY! :D I still have faith that DL will find a way to handle the SWGE crowds. It won't always be an elegant solution, and it will probably have to involve turning people away at times, but they'll find something that works. DLR is the most adaptable-to-crazy-situations place on Earth. That's just another one of the things that makes it so special: It continues to be amazing and magical despite location, space limitations and everythings else the real world throws at it. I'm always criticizing the suits currently in charge of DLR, but--dang, if they can't be clever with their backs-to-the-wall we-gotta-make-this-work solutions!

Stripes

Premium Member
There’s nothing armchair about the alarm bells that have gone off at TDO.
This is good news. At least they finally recognize there's a problem. If SWGE is as big of a draw as I think/hope it will be, they're going to have to do some major expansion.

With massive international projects wrapping up by 2023 (Tokyo 2022, Paris 2023, and Hong Kong 2023), I think the door is wide open for Imagineering to focus on WDW should management deem it necessary. Which I think they will...

Last edited:

eddie104

The current parks could all use more rides and attractions however these things are not built overnight. It will still take a good couple of years before they are truly built out. Some expansions are happening which are very much welcomed especially at DHS which is going through a transition. My biggest concern has always been on Disney just plopping down randomness to inflate the ride count. We need immersive planned areas that really add to their surroundings not garbage to claim what is a full day or half day park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom