Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

nickys

Premium Member
Ps. What is the point in Path Of The Jedi.. did it for the first time this trip and was confused why I was just sat watching what is basically a long trailer

Maybe to summarise the plot lines for those fans who are either too young to have seen the movies or for anyone else who might not have seen them ( but is there because the rest of the family wants to see all things Star Wars related)?

Sounds silly, but I know a lot of 5-8 year olds who “love Star Wars”but haven’t really seen the movies. They know it from books, Lego games on their consoles, toys etc.

nickys

Premium Member
I have a feeling that it'll go a little like this:
SWGE opens 2019 (maybe), Star Tours announces it's "farwell season" and announces it will close at the start of 2020.
Through 2020, the ride is worked on a rethemed to a new IP (which I do not know or I would share).
The ride, re-themed to a new IP, opens in 2021.

Your time frames seem strange.

SW:GE is slated to open in Fall 2019.that would leave, what, a month to announce Star Tours is closing. And it would be re-imagined in a year?

For the first few months of SW:GE, the land is going to be pretty tough to get into if you don’t have a fastpass for either ride. Long waits to get into the land, longer waits for each ride. And you think they’d close Star Tours then, the only alternative for those who can’t/ won’t wait to get into SW:GE?

I suggest they’ll close ST around a year after SW:GE opens, meaning end of 2020 / start of 2021. Possibly a little later, depending on how crowds go. Then around 18 months to re-imagine it. That takes us to late fall 2022 to reopen, at the earliest.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have a feeling that it'll go a little like this:
SWGE opens 2019 (maybe), Star Tours announces it's "farwell season" and announces it will close at the start of 2020.
Through 2020, the ride is worked on a rethemed to a new IP (which I do not know or I would share).
The ride, re-themed to a new IP, opens in 2021.

I doubt they will close Star Tours that soon, they will need it to handle the GE crowds. I would expect it to stick around for a few years after GE opens which is what has been suggested by insiders here.

nickys

Premium Member
A bunch of permits this week for show set installation.

9/17/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Artistic Entertainment Services Llc
396 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - Fabrication and Installation of Show Set Pieces

9/18/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Nassal Company
394 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - 1002W Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns

386 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - 1001W Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns

380 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - 1007W Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns

375 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - 1000W Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns

9/19/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Interamerica Stage
394 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - Fabrication and Installation of Show Set Pieces

9/19/2018 - Disney Hollywood Studio - Artistic Entertainment Services Llc
394 Cypress Dr (Galaxy's Edge) - Fabrication and Installation of Show Set Pieces

Do we know who’s doing what?

As in, is Nassal Company doing the Battle Escape ride? Or is it a case of Interamerica doing say the animatronics and Nassal doing the ride system?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

As in, is Nassal Company doing the Battle Escape ride? Or is it a case of Interamerica doing say the animatronics and Nassal doing the ride system?

It's hard to tell. Here are the address I have seen for Galaxy's Edge along with the permit descriptions I have seen for each location.

372 Cypress Dr
375 Cypress Dr Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns
378 Cypress Dr
380 Cypress Dr Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns
384 Cypress Dr Install Owner Provided Equipment, Show Set Pieces
386 Cypress Dr Exterior Architectural Ornamentation, Scenic and Interior Show Set Elemetns
390 Cypress Dr Show Set, Low Voltage Terminations
394 Cypress Dr Food Service Show Element, Kiosks, Fabrication and Installation of Show Set Pieces
396 Cypress Dr Show Set Pieces

Bob Harlem

Nassal is doing a lot of the set theming construction, nothing really technical about the ride. See http://www.nassal.com/portfolio/theme-parks for a list of some of the other stuff they have worked on.

Imagineer777

A website called LaughingPlace got their hands on the Target-exclusive Solo Blu-Ray, which has "The Millennium Falcon: From Page to Park", which apparently gave some new details about the Falcon's story and mechanics; here's some quotes from the Bonus Feature:
  • Creative Executive at Lucasfilm Story Group Pablo Hidalgo: “And now the Millennium Falcon is flying to our galaxy. And if you’ve ever wanted to experience it – and I’m not talking about a movie set where you see the plywood that’s holding up the set, where you see where one area of the Falcon stops and in order to get to the next area you have to go to a whole different sound stage – the Millennium Falcon that’s at Galaxy’s Edge is the Falcon.”
  • VP and Executive Creative Director at Lucasfilm Story Group Doug Chiang: “You can explore the main chess room, you can really be immersed in that environment, you can actually push buttons and just kind of soak it all in.”
  • Executive Creative Director for the Millennium Falcon Attraction Asa Kalama: “You can turn 360 degrees around you and every last detail is exactly where you remembered it and how you remembered it.”
  • Kalama on riding the new attraction: “You’re truly in control of the fastest and most iconic ship in the entire galaxy. And Hondo, he’s gone ahead and added a couple extra seats so he can get as many of those flight crews through as possible. There are 200 some odd buttons, knobs and switches on the inside of the cockpit and they all do stuff. If you’re the gunners in the center there and you don’t fire back on those TIE Fighters fast enough they’re going to riddle the hull with laser bolts, the engineers in back, it’s really up to them to keep the whole Falcon in working order so they’re back there furiously working away at their various systems.”
  • Scott Trowbridge, Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering: “If you bring back all the loot and there’s not a scratch on the ship and Hondo is really happy when you bring it back, you might find yourself with some extra Galactic Credits in your account, but do a poor job, you lose the cargo, you smash up the ship, you might come back owing more money than you started with, the bossman might not be too happy and when you roll across to the local cantina the bartender might lean over and say ‘hey, word on the street is your name’s been put on the list of a local bounty hunter, I’d watch out if I were you’ so how well you do on this mission really does have an impact on your overall, land-wide story.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom