Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

Haunted Mansion, to me, largely DOESN'T have a story. At least not as designed. It's been watered down in recent years to at least have some sort of story, but as originally imagined, it's just an eclectic mix of ghouls with no overarching story. Sometimes, we see stories that aren't really there due to that awful Eddie Murphy movie, too.

What is Pirates' story now? I can't figure it out. The forced Captain Jack story confuses me and I hate that every fourth phrase is "Captain Jack Sparrow" which no one calls him in the films. It would have been fun to incorporate that gag, actually.
Going through a haunted house is the story. Encountering a town under attack was the story.

zooey

Going through a haunted house is the story. Encountering a town under attack was the story.
Linear vs suggested story is the thing here. You can follow a story from beginning to end like on Peter Pan but mansion and potc have suggested stories where some event is happening that your a passive participant in, witnessing the action. In potc you're floating through town as its being raided by pirates nothIng more. Disney has been shying away from the passive experience. I don't know if mystic manor is considered that or not.

DisneyNeighbor

The LMA Stunt Show is still a relatively new attraction and has always been very popular any time I've been there.

To be honest I think Hollywood Studios needs as many attractions as possible, at the moment it really is a half day park at best. I don't know if there would be any kind of possibility of having Indy relocated to the other side of the park to tie in with the theming of sunset blvd?

It's only popular due to the lack of other attractions.

G WDW

Any word on if Muppet Vision 3D and the Muppet land are staying put? And if they are, and WDW doesn't expand the park outwards, won't an alien planet with its huge cliffs (shown in the concept art) look a tad strange bordering Hollywood Boulevard (assuming SWL takes over the Echo Lake area)

matt9112

I don't know if it is or not, but I think its awful. Shaking back and forth doesn't do anything for me.
I also do not enjoy Test Track.
I'm a roller coaster enthusiast. I've been on literally hundreds of them. And they don't have to be 'mega' coasters to be enjoyable. I love Manta and Kraken at SeaWorld, and they aren't exactly groundbreaking. But Test Track and especially Dinosaur do nothing for me. Just plain lame.

Best coaster in Florida is montu...God so smooth like butter it is the perfect balance.

captainmoch

I hate to be the bearer of sad news, but 'The Terminator' attraction went hast a la vista baby!, several years ago :-(

Opening date: May 6, 1999
Closing date: December 31, 20122
Replaced by Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Actually... it was only replaced by Despicable Me in Universal Studios Hollywood. It's still going here at Universal Studios Orlando.

AEfx

I hate to be the bearer of sad news, but 'The Terminator' attraction went hast a la vista baby!, several years ago :-(

Opening date: May 6, 1999
Closing date: December 31, 20122
Replaced by Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem

At USH. According to the Universal website, it's still at USF.

Regardless, open or closed, it's still an example of an immersive show that can give one a "movie" experience without being a "making of", etc.

doctornick

It took me a week, but I finally got through this entire thread.

I'm not convinced that Star Wars is taking over the space as indicated by @Ignohippo -- not because I think his info is wrong, but because I'm skeptical that it has been finalized. It sounds like plans are still fluid and we are probably 2 years from building being started, so who knows what will happen. If we get some independent confirmation, then I might think differently.

As for the planet used debate, I'm somewhat agnostic. I think the "right" way to go would to have done an established place (most likely Tatooine). I disagree with others that it would have been out of place (who cares if it rains) or not interesting enough (we've seen plenty of shots of Tatooine that could be developed into a visually interesting land). That said, I'm okay with the new planet if it allows for more creative execution and a better theme park experience -- especially since it is almost certain that the planet will be featured significantly in the upcoming movies. By the time the theme park land opens in 2020-21, the planet will probably seem familiar.

As for the rides, the general vibe I get is: Star Tours is likely to stay (and may or may not be included in the 14 acres), the Falcon ride will likely be a simulator of some sort but I expect it to be smaller compartments with a lot more movement (having it be a Kuka ride does make some sense), and the other ride is probably the LPS one hinted by Miceage -- while surely screens would be used, I expect large footprint for that building a significant physical sets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom