Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Have you ever attended Star Wars Celebration? The short answer is yes, the long answer is Disney doesn't need to build a new convention space, they just need to rent the entire Orange County Convention Center. But over 75,000 people will make any place seem small.

Before you get to all of that, you need to get Disney interested in actually running the convention which they currently don't.

ElBendro

Have you ever attended Star Wars Celebration? The short answer is yes, the long answer is Disney doesn't need to build a new convention space, they just need to rent the entire Orange County Convention Center. But over 75,000 people will make any place seem small.

It already does get rented out for a lot of the sporting indoor sporting events such as Volleyball tournaments that Disney hosts, but at that point I have no idea if it is being rented out by Disney or the organization host at thatpoint.

That convention center is yuge.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes. I attended all 4 days of of SW Celebration in 2017. Seeing John Williams "shush" a few thousand people was an absolute thing of beauty.

I never suggested that Disney build a convention center to house SW Celebration, spoiledbluemilk did.

Disney does not run SW Celebration. Last time I looked it was being put on by a division of Reed Exhibitions called ReedPOP. I honestly don't think Disney has much interest in running this event although their involvement might be an improvement when it comes to crowd control. What we experienced in regards to that could be called adequate, but could be a lot better. One entrance and around 8 or so metal detectors for about 50k-60k people on opening day was a little nuts. The staff also seemed to be utterly surprised that people would line up several hours before a panel.

MrPromey

You guys won't like the idea but..
What if you isolated SWL for the first month or so and did paid previews. Many of the die hard fans would pay and have little interest in the rest of the park. So you get the true fans in early with shorter line because it is paid only. You don't affect the rest of park operations. Then you open it to the general public seeing slightly lower attendance because the true fans have already seen it.

You know, I somehow doubt it's all the "true" Avatar fans making those Flights of Passage wait times what they are, today - same with all the true Snow White fans bogging down the Mine Train coaster at the MK.

Normal standby times for this are going to be hellish and fastpass availability is going to be difficult for years to come, no matter how they roll this out. The only thing something like this would do is give Disney a way to make more money off it, really... and I'm sure if it's being considered, that's why.

Last edited:

Movielover

Yes. I attended all 4 days of of SW Celebration in 2017. Seeing John Williams "shush" a few thousand people was an absolute thing of beauty.

I never suggested that Disney build a convention center to house SW Celebration, spoiledbluemilk did.

Disney does not run SW Celebration. Last time I looked it was being put on by a division of Reed Exhibitions called ReedPOP. I honestly don't think Disney has much interest in running this event although their involvement might be an improvement when it comes to crowd control. What we experienced in regards to that could be called adequate, but could be a lot better. One entrance and around 8 or so metal detectors for about 50k-60k people on opening day was a little nuts. The staff also seemed to be utterly surprised that people would line up several hours before a panel.

God their crowd control was horrendous! getting into to both the 40 years panel and Last Jedi was such a horrible task! I knew Disney did not run the events and I just responding to the question of if they should build a large enough convention space, wich they should'nt. And yes, being in that panel with John Williams was an incredible experience!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
God their crowd control was horrendous! getting into to both the 40 years panel and Last Jedi was such a horrible task! I knew Disney did not run the events and I just responding to the question of if they should build a large enough convention space, wich they should'nt. And yes, being in that panel with John Williams was an incredible experience!
Yeah, that was just nuts.

The wife and I decided that if we do it again, it will be VIP or nothing. We knew we had a lot of waiting ahead of us, but knowing a thing and doing a thing are very different. The whole get to the convention center at 4 AM only to wait a few hours to be let in and make the mad dash to get wristbands followed by a few more hours of waiting on a concrete floor for the place to open got old really quick.

My daughter fared much better. She was not all that interested in many of the larger panels so she pretty much hopped from room to room at the smaller ones. In the end she went to probably 4 times the number of panels my wife and I did and got her writing critiqued by Timothy Zahn and her artwork looked at by Doug Chiang.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
The Black/Orange fighter is exclusive to Poe AFAIK. There's probably a few classic paint-job fighters as well.

I also thought the black and orange was a Poe special, can't recall anyone else having that paint scheme.

but I wonder if I am the only one who was hoping for the classic X-Wing look? Not a Resistance look....:arghh:

Also was with you in my thinking. For a old trade port off the beaten path they seem to have a lot of new tech...

Movielover

Yeah, that was just nuts.

The wife and I decided that if we do it again, it will be VIP or nothing. We knew we had a lot of waiting ahead of us, but knowing a thing and doing a thing are very different. The whole get to the convention center at 4 AM only to wait a few hours to be let in and make the mad dash to get wristbands followed by a few more hours of waiting on a concrete floor for the place to open got old really quick.

My daughter fared much better. She was not all that interested in many of the larger panels so she pretty much hopped from room to room at the smaller ones. In the end she went to probably 4 times the number of panels my wife and I did and got her writing critiqued by Timothy Zahn and her artwork looked at by Doug Chiang.

Wow! you guys showed up at 4am? I'm surprise you even got in! I took the plunge and did the overnight thing both nights, it was insane but also a really "fun" experience. The group I was with and I were having fun reading all the twitter comments of people showing up at 9am thinking they were going to get into the panels!! lol

You really have to know what you want to do because there is no way in heck you can see everything in those 4 days...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow! you guys showed up at 4am? I'm surprise you even got in! I took the plunge and did the overnight thing both nights, it was insane but also a really "fun" experience. The group I was with and I were having fun reading all the twitter comments of people showing up at 9am thinking they were going to get into the panels!! lol

You really have to know what you want to do because there is no way in heck you can see everything in those 4 days...
No one was as surprised as me. I had debated spending the night, but we were going to arrive just past the cut off to get in. Our 4 AM arrival on day one wound us up just around the bend in the road on the north side of the Convention center.

When we got there at the same 4 AM time on Friday morning we were completely on the other side of the convention center almost to the west entrance. The distance from where we were to the entrance was just a little over 1/2 a mile.

They finally wised up by day three and opened up more entrances.

No question that you had to pick your battles. I think my total wait time for Mark's tribute to Carrie Fisher was upwards of around 7-8 hours, but we were 10 feet from the man so it was all worth it in the end.

cohaco

I'm sorry if i'm interrupting a conversation, but regarding Alcatraz, I'm a bit curious as to what will be inside and how will the sets and decor look. I mean i know that marni ( thank you for the awesome inside info btw) said that it will be similar to Shanghai's PotC in scale and execution but that ride's setting offers some very engaging and " eye candy " visuals. I'm worried about Alcatraz because from what we've seen from the movies star destroyers are very bare and "metally" looking, not to mention that the visuals are very repetetive so i'm worried that the sets won't be visually appealing to someone like me who isn't a big star wars fan. With that said, this ride is hyped to be one of disney's best so i'm propably worrying for nothing

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sorry if i'm interrupting a conversation, but regarding Alcatraz, I'm a bit curious as to what will be inside and how will the sets and decor look. I mean i know that marni ( thank you for the awesome inside info btw) said that it will be similar to Shanghai's PotC in scale and execution but that ride's setting offers some very engaging and " eye candy " visuals. I'm worried about Alcatraz because from what we've seen from the movies star destroyers are very bare and "metally" looking, not to mention that the visuals are very repetetive so i'm worried that the sets won't be visually appealing to someone like me who isn't a big star wars fan. With that said, this ride is hyped to be one of disney's best so i'm propably worrying for nothing
There will be enough show variation and screens inside to keep the visual interest level up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom